Showing results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: [News]Japan Plans World's Fastest Computer

Funtastic Rainbow Squad Senior Member
    Retired Staff Member

Crusader

Default [News]Japan Plans World's Fastest Computer

TOKYO - Japan has plans to start building a supercomputer next year that can operate 73 times faster than the world's fastest supercomputer, the government said Monday.
    The American Blue Gene/L system supercomputer developed by International Business Machine Corp. at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory in Livermore, California, currently holds the title of the world's fastest. That machine is capable of 136.8 teraflops, or 136.8 trillion calculations per second, according to Japan's Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology.

Japan wants to develop a supercomputer that can operate at 10 petaflops, or 10 quadrillion calculations per second, which is 73 times faster than the Blue Gene, an official of the ministry said on condition of anonymity.

Kyodo News reported that the total amount for the project is estimated between 80 billion and 100 billion yen ($714 million to $893 million) and the ministry will request 10 billion yen ($89 million) for the next fiscal year's budget.

The ministry official could not confirm the figures, saying it has yet to reach a formal decision on the project, which is expected by the end of August.

But he said that if the budget for next year is approved, the ministry hopes to complete the next-generation supercomputer sometime in fiscal 2010, which ends in March 2011.

Japan's Earth Simulator supercomputer, introduced in 2002, had been the world's fastest until 2004, when the IBM's Blue Gene took the title, he said.

Currently, the Earth Simulator, at a speed of 35.9 teraflops, is ranked fourth after the IBM's two Blue Gene systems and NASA's Columbia system, all in the United States, according to the top 500 list of the world's fastest supercomputers, released at the International Supercomputing Conference held in June in Heidelberg, Germany.

The Earth Simulator is used to track global sea temperatures, rainfall and crustal movement to predict natural disasters over the next few centuries.

The ministry wants to use the planned supercomputer for a wider use such as simulating the formation of galaxy and the interactions between a medicine and the human body.
    Source

Wow....73 times faster than the existing fastest supercomputer is a huge leap. With cable/fios companies planning on offering connections faster than 100mbps by 2006. And technology advancing at such an extremely alarming rate, I wonder if it can ever top out. This planned computer can calculate 10 quadrillion calculations per second(10 petaflops), which is just mind boggling compared to the mere 136 trillion the existing one has.
    "Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
    -Plato

Need medical advice?
    Send me your inquiries through PM or on AIM.

Ballin' Senior Member

High Priest

Ohh those asians.

I'm in ur user profile changing ur name back
    Gold Member

Messiah

LOL that'd be a nice comp :D

Retired Staff Member

Celestial Entity

I think pc's are gonna come to their peak when we either start turning into computers ourselves( have you ever seen a anime called "Ghost in the Shell") or we get little chips in our heads and have lightspeed connections.
    "A Responsible Citizen Not Only Shares Culture, But Destroys The Copyright Industries"

"Elegance is not a dispensable luxury but a quality that decides between success and failure. "
    "It Don't Mean a Thing (If It Ain't Got That Swing)"
    “Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.”

Retired Staff Member

Saint

Nanotechnology... soon, these kinds of computers will be obsolete.
    NEWS YOU CAN USE. IF YOU CHOOSE NOT TO USE THIS NEWS YOU WILL BE KILLED.

Saint

lol.. Starcraft would load in 0.00000000001 seconds using those computers..

Retired Staff Member

Celestial Entity

Why would you wanna play SC on a computer like that. I'd wanna play BF2,Doom3, or CS or something on a computer like that.
    "A Responsible Citizen Not Only Shares Culture, But Destroys The Copyright Industries"

"Elegance is not a dispensable luxury but a quality that decides between success and failure. "
    "It Don't Mean a Thing (If It Ain't Got That Swing)"
    “Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.”

YuCant See Bhind My Eyes
    Zealot

dont forget Far Cry. :D

E pluribus unum Senior Member
    Retired Staff Member

Messiah

Quote Originally Posted by IversonAli3
    80 billion and 100 billion yen ($714 million to $893 million)
    If I did my calculations right, that means for every 1000 Yen = $8.93. Yen isn't worth sh*t.
    Nature Of The Humans Is Never Giving

High Priest

Wonder if it's any faster than my new FX-57?
    Quote Originally Posted by gamepin126
    Me vs j00
    Quote Originally Posted by game_on
    You. Or,in your language: j00.

Akazukin

investment

It's really an arduous task, somwhow feeling that its near impossible to calculate the formation of Galaxy. The interactions between a medicine and the human body - could it be cure for breast cancer?
    Last edited by Irenefc : 07-26-2005 at 04:02 AM Reason: change of topic

Weiße Kraft Senior Member

Messiah

O.O.............. Irenes a mod already. holly ****!!!!!!!!! Barely 100 posts and she's a mod. Good job Irene.

On topic now:

That'd be funny if they tried to load up Doom3 with it and it said they needed a better graphics caard, so they had to go to best buy and get a new one. lol. Does anyone else picture like 10 little 4 foot tall asians standing in front of a HUGE like 110x130 foot screen with little keyboards playing Halo or SC on this thing?
    Ho boy!

Here is wisdom. Let him that hath understanding count the number of the beast: for it is the number of a man; and his number is Six hundred threescore and six.

I'm in ur user profile changing ur name back
    Gold Member

Messiah

Lol HOLY ****!!! Lol gj Irene...

Yes on topic...

Ghost in the Shell was a good movie series and TV series. Damn I wanna be a cyborg :D :D ;)

Retired Staff Member

Crusader

I read an article before that said that within the nest 50 years computers will be able to download a full human brain and essentially provide pseudo-immortality to people.
    "Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
    -Plato

Need medical advice?

Retired Staff Member

Saint

Quote Originally Posted by IversonAli3
    I read an article before that said that within the nest 50 years computers will be able to download a full human brain and essentially provide pseudo-immortality to people.
    That's not really as depedant on advances in space or speed as on neuroscience, though.

Retired Staff Member

Crusader

Well youre correct there, but in 50 years im sure they wouldve made very large advances in neuroscience as well.
    -Plato

Need medical advice?

Retired Staff Member

Saint

Quote Originally Posted by HellboundAngel?
    If I did my calculations right, that means for every 1000 Yen = $8.93. Yen isn't worth sh*t.
    The Turkish Lira's smallest coin is 10,000. THAT isn't worth ****.

Thread Information