Showing results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Let's keep in touch on Discord

mov esi, 0x0539 Senior Member
    Retired Staff Member

Saint

Default Let's keep in touch on Discord

It's what the cool kids use these days, so I'm told.

https://discord.gg/FvJBGk4

Crusader

As a developer, I am seriously curious what drives people to keep making more and more derivative text/voice chat solutions. I could understand it if any of the apps did anything that the others don't do, but as far as I can tell they all have the same set of use-cases.
    The Ultimate Guide Thread
    Quote Originally Posted by Ethernet Networking Bible
    Thou shalt switch where thy can, and route where thy must.

High Priest

Anyone could develop a simple text and voice solution. The IP technology is simple and straightforward.

If your software can champion your competitors, you'd be on the top of the pyramid, and your income would be incomparable.

The challenge is to provide quality. Discord has less lag, resource demand and is cost effective when compared to skype, vent or teamspeak.

The gaming company has data centers all around the world. Those devices and manpower can cost over a million. To reach this level, they have penetrated the market in e-sports, twitch and reddit.

With innovative features such as liking a person's comment in real time, skype is recently trying to copy it and I could feel a performance drop. You can easily see who is online, who is playing and with a click of a button, to watch their streaming. No more IP copy and paste hassle with vent for MMORPG.

Streamers and MMO Raid leaders would switch to discord as it's free and better. The next target audience would be ourselves. You'd soon see developers asking us to join discord so they could gather feedback on their games, 'cool kids' asking you to join their discord channel to watch them play, and finally work colleagues telling you to ditch skype.

Perma is right, it's a cool app and what's more is that it'd probably make skype a history.

Crusader

Yes, Discord is currently winning the "grow our user-base" game. The problem though, is how are they going to keep paying the bills past the point where venture capitalists are willing to invest? Despite being valued at about $700M USD (which is largely the result of Silicon Valley investment), they probably make less than $1M USD per year in revenue. They have no advertising, minimal merchandise, a fairly strong privacy policy (compared to other platforms that raise most of their income on selling user data, such as Facebook), and no immediate plans for any other aggressive monetization. Rack space in all those data centers doesn't come cheap.

Just ask Twitter how useful it is to have tons of users and no obvious way to monetize them at scale...

High Priest

I think they will soon introduce premium features. For $10 your streams can be on the top 10 of the front page, or a discord for business meeting, etc. The possibilities are endless.
    They are currently in the player base growing phrase, hence they need to invest.
    Plan B would be to introduce ads. Users might soon leave, but the developers can retire with billions.

Which reminds me, wikipedia have stopped asking for donations. I've learn that it's now backed by many companies, including dropbox Inc.
    https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Benefactors

So there is also a possibly that e-sports and popular game companies are funding them. With discord's solution to streaming and voIP they can get more players to sell their products and tournament views.

King of The Jews
    Prophet

You must admit that each VoIP application has improved upon the previous iteration, at least a little. How Discord plans to monetize is a mystery to everyone, possibly including the creators/shareholders. They do have a great product though.

PS Wikipedia still asks for donations. It may not depend on the donations of an average user anymore, but they still have that banner running across the top. In fact, they already hit their goal, but will not stop accepting donations: https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki...ed_the_goal.3F

Crusader

Sorry guys, I'm done with Discord. The captchas they use for their login are a total pain in the ass. It takes 10 goddamn minutes to log in because of their broken bullshit captchas. Ain't nobody got time for that shit.

High Priest

Haha.. Dyndriliac you sound like an old man who dislike new apps.
    Discord is designed for Gamers. I'd be able to see what you're playing and watch your game streaming with a click.
    I can also comment in your game as you play. That's the fun part of discord.
    Simply create an account so you won't be facing Captchas as you log in.

you gots to pay if you wanna watch what I'm streamin. ain't out here tryna give a free show.

Administrator

Inquisitor

Quote Originally Posted by Blackazukin View Post
    you gots to pay if you wanna watch what I'm streamin. ain't out here tryna give a free show.
    Worth every penny I might add.

Crusader

Quote Originally Posted by Irene View Post
    Haha.. Dyndriliac you sound like an old man who dislike new apps.
    Discord is designed for Gamers. I'd be able to see what you're playing and watch your game streaming with a click.
    I can also comment in your game as you play. That's the fun part of discord.
    Simply create an account so you won't be facing Captchas as you log in.
    Dunno what you're talking about. I have an account, but every time I go to log in I have to pick out the pictures with cars, then the pictures with store fronts, and THEN the pictures with fucking street signs... What if a picture has 2 square microns of the bottom of a street sign? Does that fucking count? I spend ten goddamn minutes picking out pictures like I'm in fucking 2nd grade. I could code an IRC clone if I was motivated to do so. I'm not a fucking idiot. That's simply a terrible fucking design if I can't log in effortlessly. And it's a fucking chat application. Does it really need that much security? I mean honestly, if someone has your username and password, the CAPTCHA isn't going to fucking stop a bot, because those idiots at Discord hand out fucking API keys for bots like they're candy. Any bot trying to log in is going to have an API key. So what if it gets banned? Making accounts is easy. It's logging in that's the hard part, unless you're a bot with an API key. IDK. Maybe it's because I'm on a VPN and so I have a diferent IP every time. But still, it's goddamn IRC. It doesn't need DOD fucking security standards for fuck's sake.

High Priest

There is no capcha when I use discord, I have create an account, so I thought there will be capcha for a non-registered user and wrote about making an account.

I understand the pain in Capcha. It's those street signs, vehicle pictures and store fronts. Most forum use that and those will appear whenever I edit a message. It's terrible.

Repeat.. No capcha from my end. Maybe it's website related? There are restrictions as we use their forum or discord? I've tried the BWH discord and there is no capcha. There are many gay pictures instead.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Irene View Post
    There is no capcha when I use discord
    Ditto, are you using the web version by any chance Dyndrilliac?
    DrubZ says:
    IpwnU would be a great hack name... cuz like.. it's right in ur face

Saint

I like discord because I can easily access the web-based interface. No bloated software like skype.

Thread Information