Showing results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: IT programs that you use

High Priest

Default IT programs that you use

Hi all,

I have lost touch with technology.

What are the current popular /important IT stuff that you use for work or personal growth?

I only know use dropbox, skype and google doc in my company.

I think there are much more...

eFamous Senior Member
    Administrator

High Priest

I use Youtube for watching videos all day instead of working, and I keep outlook and quickbooks and some spreadsheets open to make it look like I'm working.
    Quote Originally Posted by ston3rpimp69
    so i was lookin at this forum and realized that the few ppl still lingering here trying to defibrillate this ol dusty place are kinda like hobos using an abandoned church for shelter, hoping that their god who hath abandoned them still checks in on his old stomping grounds from time to time. well my unwashed friends, keep those trash fires burning cause life without me is a dark, cold, confusing hell. the warmth of salvation lies only in PURE FIRE™. and though my amazing posts are many, the worthy are few.

i are never serious Senior Member
    Gold Member

Crusader

^

eFamous Senior Member
    Administrator

High Priest

With jobs at which most of your work is done in front of a computer screen, there's a lot of temptation to automate as many of your tasks as possible. Templates, scripts, macros, cron jobs, etc. can help take the tedium out of your work and get things done much faster and with fewer mistakes made than if you were to do them using your lazy hands and hung over brain. I imagine this is seen as a good thing in corporate offices and other magical fantasy lands I've never visited.

Sadly, some of us work for small businesses whose owners are old, dumb, and bad. ODB owners and supervisors don't care if you're making the company more than 10x your salary if it means any amount of your on-the-clock time is spent doing things that aren't work. For this reason, you have two general objectives: 1) automate and optimize for peak efficiency and productivity while doing as little hands-on work as possible; and 2) make it appear that you're very busy at all times.

I was once threatened with termination because an office manager noticed that I was browsing the internet and doing no actual work for several lengthy chunks of time throughout the day. My job was editing videos and I had to wait for them to encode in a time when 1080p was a fairly new thing and I had a Pentium 4. To keep the ODB lady off my back, I wrote a couple batch scripts that looped through useless tasks on my 2nd monitor, like traceroutes and compiling the same program over and over, thereby wasting my single core CPU's resources and making my encoding jobs take longer. The manager would look at all the stuff happening on my 2nd monitor and think I was doing a bunch of work, and I had more time to do not-work things.

Right now I mainly work for myself running a computer shop, but I concurrently work for another company in my building and the owner is a quintessential ODB boss. During my first year he went on vacation for a month and I had things handled. Sales were great, emergencies were dealt with, and things were running smoothly. When he came back into the office he took a look at my tidy desk and grumbled "Looks like things have been dead while I was gone," and accused me of not doing anything in his absence. Since then I have been putting in about 1/10th of the effort I did before then, but I make sure to keep papers stacked all over the fucking place. Sales have been in the toilet for 3 years now but it can't be my fault because look at how busy I am!

Here are some other tricks to appearing busy and keeping the ire of ODB bosses at bay:

1. Write long forum posts like this one into a Word document. Depending on your job, you can make it look like a formal letter or a quote request or whatever. It works best if you have a noisy mechanical keyboard. If you ain't clackin', you're just slackin'.

2. Make pivot tables and graphs from spreadsheet data, even if it's completely unnecessary. Passersby will think you're doing important work even if you're just showing your squat progression from your workout logbook or the days during which you farted the most.

3. Put on a bluetooth earpiece and have a loud conversation with yourself. No one will bother you when they think you're on an important phone call. For best results, make it business-casual in a way that makes people think it might be a personal call but it has enough businessy words in it to maybe be a business call. This way you'll probably be able to get away with actual personal phone calls in the future. Or:
    3a. Just play a recording of a conference call on loop.

Feel free to share your techniques for our mutual benefit.
    Quote Originally Posted by ston3rpimp69
    so i was lookin at this forum and realized that the few ppl still lingering here trying to defibrillate this ol dusty place are kinda like hobos using an abandoned church for shelter, hoping that their god who hath abandoned them still checks in on his old stomping grounds from time to time. well my unwashed friends, keep those trash fires burning cause life without me is a dark, cold, confusing hell. the warmth of salvation lies only in PURE FIRE™. and though my amazing posts are many, the worthy are few.

mov esi, 0x0539 Senior Member
    Retired Staff Member

Saint

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    With jobs at which most of your work is done in front of a computer screen, there's a lot of temptation to automate as many of your tasks as possible. Templates, scripts, macros, cron jobs, etc. can help take the tedium out of your work and get things done much faster and with fewer mistakes made than if you were to do them using your lazy hands and hung over brain. I imagine this is seen as a good thing in corporate offices and other magical fantasy lands I've never visited.

Sadly, some of us work for small businesses whose owners are old, dumb, and bad. ODB owners and supervisors don't care if you're making the company more than 10x your salary if it means any amount of your on-the-clock time is spent doing things that aren't work. For this reason, you have two general objectives: 1) automate and optimize for peak efficiency and productivity while doing as little hands-on work as possible; and 2) make it appear that you're very busy at all times.

I was once threatened with termination because an office manager noticed that I was browsing the internet and doing no actual work for several lengthy chunks of time throughout the day. My job was editing videos and I had to wait for them to encode in a time when 1080p was a fairly new thing and I had a Pentium 4. To keep the ODB lady off my back, I wrote a couple batch scripts that looped through useless tasks on my 2nd monitor, like traceroutes and compiling the same program over and over, thereby wasting my single core CPU's resources and making my encoding jobs take longer. The manager would look at all the stuff happening on my 2nd monitor and think I was doing a bunch of work, and I had more time to do not-work things.

Right now I mainly work for myself running a computer shop, but I concurrently work for another company in my building and the owner is a quintessential ODB boss. During my first year he went on vacation for a month and I had things handled. Sales were great, emergencies were dealt with, and things were running smoothly. When he came back into the office he took a look at my tidy desk and grumbled "Looks like things have been dead while I was gone," and accused me of not doing anything in his absence. Since then I have been putting in about 1/10th of the effort I did before then, but I make sure to keep papers stacked all over the fucking place. Sales have been in the toilet for 3 years now but it can't be my fault because look at how busy I am!

Here are some other tricks to appearing busy and keeping the ire of ODB bosses at bay:

1. Write long forum posts like this one into a Word document. Depending on your job, you can make it look like a formal letter or a quote request or whatever. It works best if you have a noisy mechanical keyboard. If you ain't clackin', you're just slackin'.

2. Make pivot tables and graphs from spreadsheet data, even if it's completely unnecessary. Passersby will think you're doing important work even if you're just showing your squat progression from your workout logbook or the days during which you farted the most.

3. Put on a bluetooth earpiece and have a loud conversation with yourself. No one will bother you when they think you're on an important phone call. For best results, make it business-casual in a way that makes people think it might be a personal call but it has enough businessy words in it to maybe be a business call. This way you'll probably be able to get away with actual personal phone calls in the future. Or:
    3a. Just play a recording of a conference call on loop.

Feel free to share your techniques for our mutual benefit.
    This made my day.

Thread Information