Showing results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: attaching ollydbg to starcraft

Default attaching ollydbg to starcraft

idk what subforum to post this in but what are the chances anyone checks here anyways

attaching ollydbg to starcraft but the game crashes as soon as I enter battlenet or start a singleplayer map
    using the hide plugin for ollydbg but still getting crashes

any ideas?

Administrator

Inquisitor

Have you tried attaching it after entering battle.net?

Crusader

Quote Originally Posted by DSG View Post
    And for the record StarCraft has a new anti cheat and protection, it's likely going to be a little while if anybody bothers.
    The Ultimate Guide Thread
    Quote Originally Posted by Ethernet Networking Bible
    Thou shalt switch where thy can, and route where thy must.

Quote Originally Posted by dt View Post
    Have you tried attaching it after entering battle.net?
    yup

@dyndrill
    so lets figure it out

Crusader

Quote Originally Posted by xsDaniel View Post
    @dyndrill
    so lets figure it out
    Name:  post-6769-aint-nobody-got-time-for-that-YPjg.gif
Views: 218
Size:  572.5 KB

If I were going to devote my time to such a task, and let me be clear that I have absolutely no plans to do so (I prefer and have always preferred Age of Empires 2 over StarCraft so I don't have quite a deep affection for the game as most others here), then I wouldn't be able to guarantee support for Olly because I wouldn't be using it - I'd be using WinDbg instead.

The first thing I would look for if it were me is the crash dump. What was the error code? In what process / memory space (the executable or one of its DLLs?) did the error occur?

Hint/Speculation: the problem is probably located in Battle.snp, assuming that library still contains the code for the game's interface to Battle.net.
    Last edited by Dyndrilliac : 05-16-2017 at 05:41 PM

Section Staff of Keepin' it Real Senior Member
    Retired Staff Member

Inquisitor

Quote Originally Posted by Dyndrilliac View Post
    Name:  post-6769-aint-nobody-got-time-for-that-YPjg.gif
Views: 218
Size:  572.5 KB

If I were going to devote my time to such a task, and let me be clear that I have absolutely no plans to do so (I prefer and have always preferred Age of Empires 2 over StarCraft so I don't have quite a deep affection for the game as most others here), then I wouldn't be able to guarantee support for Olly because I wouldn't be using it - I'd be using WinDbg instead.

The first thing I would look for if it were me is the crash dump. What was the error code? In what process / memory space (the executable or one of its DLLs?) did the error occur?

Hint/Speculation: the problem is probably located in Battle.snp, assuming that library still contains the code for the game's interface to Battle.net.
    Hook me up with those AoE2 hax bro. You play HD right?

Nice to meet you, I'm Will Riker. Space Pimp. Senior Member
    Gold Member
    Administrator

Crusader

Quote Originally Posted by Dyndrilliac View Post
    This speculation would indeed be correct, however there is a bit more to it than that now (they overhauled the game with this patch, and backported stuff like the Launcher).

I spent a little time messing with it and didn't get anywhere. I would also wager that most of us that probably still have the skills to RE the new protection/anti-cheat probably don't have the time (yay adulting). And even if we did, the StarCraft update/remaster probably wouldn't be very high on the totem pole compared to all the other shit we wished we had the time to rip apart.
    Last edited by DSG : 06-05-2017 at 06:40 PM
    Blind belief in authority is the greatest enemy of truth. - Albert Einstein

Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. -Martin Luther King, Jr.

Crusader

@disco: Yes, I play the HD version on Steam. I'll dig through my files and see if I can find my old arsenal. It's been awhile, and they aren't up to date with the latest builds of the game, but if I can find them I'll pass them along.

@DSG: Yea, it's been so long since I've cared enough to do anything with Starcraft, I figured there would have been changes to make things more complicated. I just figured it might be a good starting place for the OP. Still, I feel relatively confident in saying it probably is not all that challenging. Blizzard prefers to wield the the legal system and the banhammer to deter cheaters as opposed to truly putting in the effort to actually prevent cheating on a systemic level (which is a reasonable approach, since it's an arms race they can never hope to win).

Gold Member

Evangelist

Quote Originally Posted by DSG View Post
    This speculation would indeed be correct, however there is a bit more to it than that now (they overhauled the game with this patch, and backported stuff like the Launcher).

I spent a little time messing with it and didn't get anywhere. I would also wager that most of us that probably still have the skills to RE the new protection/anti-cheat probably don't have the time (yay adulting). And even if we did, the StarCraft update/remaster probably wouldn't be very high on the totem pole compared to all the other shit we wished we had the time to rip apart.
    You guys are a bunch of pathetic pussies. Can't seem to crack some security measure installed by some idiot who just graduated from Iowa.... shame on you for representing this community.
    Coming out of the closet is difficult and I just wanted to thank everyone here for giving me the strength to go through with it. [email protected]!

=) Senior Member
    Developer

Supreme Being

yah, dam rite, u boiz r pussies
    Quote Originally Posted by Voice Of Korhal View Post
    Let us hope so, if that Reverse Engineering crap actually works, I'll be amazed.

A zero-your personal hero Senior Member
    Gold Member

Blessed

Quote Originally Posted by StarteR2 View Post
    You guys are a bunch of pathetic pussies. Can't seem to crack some security measure installed by some idiot who just graduated from Iowa.... shame on you for representing this community.
    And that's coming from a guy whose entire existence revolves around underhandedly munching on anyone's dick for technical advice, hacks, cracks and warez.

Crusader

I like how the guy who has never released anything is criticising others for not immediately jumping at the chance to do a bunch of work for free to update hacks for a nearly 20 year old game. If it is so simple and easy, why don't you do it? Rhetorical question, by the way. I already know why. No need to reveal to everyone else that you're a talentless loser who can't even troll proficiently.

mov esi, 0x0539 Senior Member
    Retired Staff Member

Saint

Quote Originally Posted by xsDaniel View Post
    attaching ollydbg to starcraft but the game crashes as soon as I enter battlenet or start a singleplayer map
    using the hide plugin for ollydbg but still getting crashes
    Run the game in a virtual machine, and use a kernel debugger.

You may need to spoof things (KD_DEBUGGER_X flags and NtQuerySystemInformation results) but this is trivial with kernel-mode access.

I haven't looked at the changes for legal reasons but I would be shocked if it were even that complicated.

Thread Information