Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Showing results 21 to 40 of 64

Thread: Anybody playing D3?

  1. #21
    Senior Member

    Crusader
    Dyndrilliac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Jacksonville, FL, USA
    Posts
    3,618

    Default

    If you still don't have one by Friday I'll give you one of the 3 that comes with my retail purchase. Only downsides of the guest pass are you're limited to level 13, can only get half way through Act 1, and you can't play with retail players - only other people playing the Starter Edition. Other than that it's all there except the for the Auction House. But at least you can roll a toon sooner rather than later :-) Also gives you plenty of time to farm the mini-boss the demo ends after a few hundred times. I've been spending all the gold I've been earning upgrading my stash and the Blacksmith NPC since otherwise it would just build up, and it's all from just grabbing chump change as I run through the level over and over.

    Edit: Also, just FYI, apparently melee sucks in the highest difficulties. I don't know how true that is, because I've heard other players (a small minority, but still statistically significant) say that indeed melee is viable all the way, you just have to use the AH to properly gear up and know how to maximize the play style. Either way I'll find out, because viable or not my heart is set on a Monk. Maybe the Demon Hunter will get some love after that but Monk for me is the whole reason I wanted to play.
    Last edited by Dyndrilliac : 05-28-2012 at 06:13 PM
    The Ultimate Guide Thread
    Quote Originally Posted by Ethernet Networking Bible
    Thou shalt switch where thy can, and route where thy must.

  2. #22
    A zero-your personal hero Senior Member
    Gold Member

    Blessed

    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    2,041

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dyndrilliac View Post
    you just have to use the AH to properly gear up
    Not quite a feasible way to play, regardless of character class, but you could probably get away with farming up those items with a Wiz or a DH, since those become fairly untouchable later in PvE.

  3. #23
    From the Land of the Sexy Senior Member
    Gold Member
    Moderator

    Inquisitor
    Mookster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Sexyland™
    Posts
    5,074

    Default

    Mookster#1893
    A conclusion is a place you find yourself, when tired of thinking.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranged View Post
    That statements is invalid.

  4. #24
    Senior Member
    Gold Member

    Inquisitor

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    4,496

    Default

    Nerp not me. [email protected] to add me.

  5. #25
    mov esi, 0x0539 Senior Member
    Retired Staff Member

    Saint
    Perma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    6,528

    Default

    Perma#1154

    Feel free to add me up. Not going to lie, contrary to what a lot of you posted, I'm pretty disappointed so far.

    EDIT: I feel like I should clarify my disappointment, because Diablo is probably my favorite video game franchise of all time. There are a number of things which fell short from what I can see. For starters, itemization is super terrible and super boring. Most items are completely worthless to any class and it makes the item hunt that much less rewarding. I'm sure this will improve with time, though. Secondly, the story. Yes, I understand that hack and slash action RPGs like Diablo don't necessarily have to be story driven, but Chris Metzen is, in my opinion, the Michael Bay of video game lore and he never should have touched what was there. The entire plot throughout the game is weak, predictable, and leaves me pretty much no desire to ever find out more about the world. The angels were stupid, Tyrael was stupid (and he was formerly my favorite character), and yeah. Stupid. And lastly, of course, was the actual programming of the game. A peruse of the Blizzard forums can give you a pretty good idea of the serious exploits which exist. So yeah, as it stands, meh. But I am sure it will be improved.
    Last edited by Perma : 05-29-2012 at 08:54 AM

  6. #26
    From the Land of the Sexy Senior Member
    Gold Member
    Moderator

    Inquisitor
    Mookster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Sexyland™
    Posts
    5,074

    Default

    I don't disagree. I'm actually more satisfied with the game than I expected, but I expected to be severely disappoint, so.
    I miss the old skill points system from D2, but I liked it for it's flaws and I know it shouldn't have made a return. The thing that should have been preserved, was the diversity of the builds. Sorces for instance had to choose by skills if they wanted to spec for certain spells, and you had to choose early on and spend wisely if you wanted to be something like a mana shield/teleport/fireball/orb sorc. Now, it seems, there's really only 2 or 3 good choices (which do change depending on your level, mind you,) but once you're maxed you will inevitably still have just a few choices that are slightly better, but not all that much different from other choices. As a Wizard, for instand, you need 2 buffing spells regardless because together they give you a 45% damage bonus, you need a insignificantly damaging signature spell because Blizzard made it so that you need it to build mana, then you can choose 3 more spells -- one being the best AOE spell you have for your level, one being Hydra because it's free damage and you're wrong not to take it regardless, and one being whatever else you want. It just seems restrictive to me. If they let you put point into stats, atleast, you'd be able to spec for high damage or survivability -- adding a little flavor to the game.
    All that, and the story is cheesy with rather awful voice acting, but I didn't expect much for story. Overall, not a bad game, though. We'll see if endgame picks up, but I'm not holding my breath.
    Last edited by Mookster : 05-29-2012 at 11:47 AM
    A conclusion is a place you find yourself, when tired of thinking.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranged View Post
    That statements is invalid.

  7. #27

    Default

    lvl 60 barbarian here...I've done skeleton king and butcher on inferno so far, Act 2 is just stupid and not even wasting my time on it.

  8. #28
    mov esi, 0x0539 Senior Member
    Retired Staff Member

    Saint
    Perma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    6,528

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mookster View Post
    I don't disagree. I'm actually more satisfied with the game than I expected, but I expected to be severely disappoint, so.
    I miss the old skill points system from D2, but I liked it for it's flaws and I know it shouldn't have made a return. The thing that should have been preserved, was the diversity of the builds. Sorces for instance had to choose by skills if they wanted to spec for certain spells, and you had to choose early on and spend wisely if you wanted to be something like a mana shield/teleport/fireball/orb sorc. Now, it seems, there's really only 2 or 3 good choices (which do change depending on your level, mind you,) but once you're maxed you will inevitably still have just a few choices that are slightly better, but not all that much different from other choices. As a Wizard, for instand, you need 2 buffing spells regardless because together they give you a 45% damage bonus, you need a insignificantly damaging signature spell because Blizzard made it so that you need it to build mana, then you can choose 3 more spells -- one being the best AOE spell you have for your level, one being Hydra because it's free damage and you're wrong not to take it regardless, and one being whatever else you want. It just seems restrictive to me. If they let you put point into stats, atleast, you'd be able to spec for high damage or survivability -- adding a little flavor to the game.
    All that, and the story is cheesy with rather awful voice acting, but I didn't expect much for story. Overall, not a bad game, though. We'll see if endgame picks up, but I'm not holding my breath.
    +1 to all that you said here.

  9. #29
    Senior Member

    Crusader
    Dyndrilliac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Jacksonville, FL, USA
    Posts
    3,618

    Default

    My only two complaints so far are the fact that gear drops suck super bad (which is intentional to give the AH and RMAH unfair advantages) and the always online DRM combined with server ****-ups, 14 hour maintenance cycles, and the whole account hacking scandals. Keenan actually convinced me to use the authenticator phone app so now I have to punch in this stupid random code every time I log in which changes every 20 seconds. ****ing BS. Pretty major complaints, but at least I'm not nearly as limited in builds as I was expecting. IMHO the only way they could have done skills better if they had the same awesome system Guild Wars uses for saving and loading custom skill load-outs. Unfortunately some of the skills have been nerfed into obsolescence (supposedly going to be fixed in later patches, lol) and some are just plain bugged.
    The Ultimate Guide Thread
    Quote Originally Posted by Ethernet Networking Bible
    Thou shalt switch where thy can, and route where thy must.

  10. #30
    mov esi, 0x0539 Senior Member
    Retired Staff Member

    Saint
    Perma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    6,528

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dyndrilliac View Post
    ...whole account hacking scandals. Keenan actually convinced me to use the authenticator phone app so now I have to punch in this stupid random code every time I log in which changes every 20 seconds. ****ing BS.
    That won't help you. You should probably not join public games.

  11. #31
    Senior Member

    Crusader
    Dyndrilliac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Jacksonville, FL, USA
    Posts
    3,618

    Default

    Why? What's the exploit? I shrugged off all that as BS rumors and people who used stupid passwords that were easy to guess, or downloaded **** with malware or keyloggers. Was Blizzard seriously stupid enough to leave a hole for people to jack accounts just by being in the same game session?
    The Ultimate Guide Thread
    Quote Originally Posted by Ethernet Networking Bible
    Thou shalt switch where thy can, and route where thy must.

  12. #32
    mov esi, 0x0539 Senior Member
    Retired Staff Member

    Saint
    Perma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    6,528

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dyndrilliac View Post
    Why? What's the exploit? I shrugged off all that as BS rumors and people who used stupid passwords that were easy to guess, or downloaded **** with malware or keyloggers. Was Blizzard seriously stupid enough to leave a hole for people to jack accounts just by being in the same game session?
    Well, I haven't (and won't) confirm it with my own research, but from various contacts and a friend who was a victim, it seems that is the case. Just need to be in the same game as the person and their account is compromised.

  13. #33
    Amat Victoria Curam Senior Member
    Gold Member
    Moderator

    Saint
    Sinz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Minersville
    Posts
    6,812

    Default

    I've heard of a similar exploit for SC1 where you can get the hash of the people joining your games and get all their info. Username,pass,cdkey etc. So I wouldn't be surprised if that happened in any other blizzard games.


    Suffering becomes beautiful when anyone bears great calamities with cheerfulness, not through insensibility but through greatness of mind.

    -Aristotle

  14. #34
    custom user title Senior Member

    Crusader
    applesauce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    3,433

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Perma View Post
    Well, I haven't (and won't) confirm it with my own research, but from various contacts and a friend who was a victim, it seems that is the case. Just need to be in the same game as the person and their account is compromised.
    That sucks :\

  15. #35
    custom user title Senior Member

    Crusader
    applesauce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    3,433

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dyndrilliac View Post
    Keenan actually convinced me to use the authenticator phone app so now I have to punch in this stupid random code every time I log in which changes every 20 seconds. ****ing BS.
    http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5149544320
    Finally, there is a reason why people with authenticators haven't been compromised. It is called Multi-factor Authentication. While not convenient, it is far more secure than the standard username/password that is seen.

  16. #36
    Senior Member

    Crusader
    Dyndrilliac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Jacksonville, FL, USA
    Posts
    3,618

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Perma View Post
    Well, I haven't (and won't) confirm it with my own research, but from various contacts and a friend who was a victim, it seems that is the case. Just need to be in the same game as the person and their account is compromised.
    Wasn't the whole point of making the game online-only so that all the game's network traffic goes to the Battle.net servers and not to the other players in the game session? I thought they phased out their peer-to-peer protocols? I was under the impression that the similar StarCraft exploit that jiggie discovered only worked because it used the old in-game client communication system.

    Edit: Also, even if your password hash is compromised and they try to log in by sending the hash to the server, shouldn't the second layer of authentication prevent unauthorized access?
    The Ultimate Guide Thread
    Quote Originally Posted by Ethernet Networking Bible
    Thou shalt switch where thy can, and route where thy must.

  17. #37
    custom user title Senior Member

    Crusader
    applesauce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    3,433

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dyndrilliac View Post
    Wasn't the whole point of making the game online-only so that all the game's network traffic goes to the Battle.net servers and not to the other players in the game session? I thought they phased out their peer-to-peer protocols? I was under the impression that the similar StarCraft exploit that jiggie discovered only worked because it used the old in-game client communication system.

    Edit: Also, even if your password hash is compromised and they try to log in by sending the hash to the server, shouldn't the second layer of authentication prevent unauthorized access?
    AFAIK nobody who has used the authenticator has been compromised as of yet. I don't think communication is entirely funnelled through Battle.net so there may be some room for manipulation but I haven't actually hooked up a packet sniffer to be 100%.

  18. #38
    eFamous Senior Member
    Administrator

    High Priest
    Sandman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,533

    Default

    Going to have to agree on the story being stupid. I thought Act 1 was kind of cool for the most part. I would have liked Leoric to be the boss and the Butcher to have more significance and be stupid hard for the level he's on again, but it was okay. After that I stopped caring. I think I would appreciate the game a little more if it wasn't a Diablo title. Like, if it was about that psycho spider-slut instead and was called ARACHNYMPHOMIA. I'd buy that game just for the title.

    I picked witch doctor as my first class because he looked the most interesting on paper with exploding frogs, stampeding bears and falling towers made of ZOMBIES! Sadly, a lot of those abilities turned out to be useless and both of the late-game-viable builds become tedious to play. But still, ZOMBIE BEARS fk yeah
    Quote Originally Posted by ston3rpimp69
    trash hole ha ha jokes on u cuz im polishing my crest kids oral hygiene trophy right now. maybe if they invented a pillow case that cleans ur teeth when u bite it u would have a clean mouth too. get on my fukcin level.

  19. #39
    Administrator

    Inquisitor
    dt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    5,183

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dyndrilliac View Post
    Why? What's the exploit? I shrugged off all that as BS rumors and people who used stupid passwords that were easy to guess, or downloaded **** with malware or keyloggers. Was Blizzard seriously stupid enough to leave a hole for people to jack accounts just by being in the same game session?
    They're denying it.
    http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/top...673?page=9#176

  20. #40
    Senior Member
    Gold Member

    Inquisitor

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    4,496

    Default

    Sandman summed up the witch doctor, useless for inferno hardcore.

    As far as the exploit, Im pretty sure everyone assumed after the diablo/starcraft experience that they'd have no intention of going through any connection other then blizzards host connection. So maybe they just hoped that nobody would check.

    Ok well probably not, but still Dyndsecks, tell me that authenticator shouldn't be attached to a lot more in life. I feel its ten times safer then using my bank account or paypal online. And its just for some video games...

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Anyone playing EVE?
    By gamepin126 in forum Other
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 08-03-2011, 08:33 AM
  2. Anyone Playing?
    By Phr0zenKnight in forum Diablo Universe
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-22-2008, 05:42 PM
  3. Playing without Lan LAG!
    By trollios in forum Gaming
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-05-2008, 08:05 AM
  4. Playing again
    By EyeOfFire in forum World of Warcraft
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 04-07-2007, 08:22 AM

Posting Rules

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •