Showing results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: [New] PS3 Jailbreak

Inquisitor

Default [New] PS3 Jailbreak

Video:

Discuss

Evangelist

Didn't they have this exploit for awhile?

King of The Jews
    Prophet

It was patched though.

Crusader

Yea, the previous jailbreak exploit was fixed. This new one is unfixable though, because in order to change how the PS3 evaluates legitimate keys, Sony would have to change the hardware. I'm sure by now everyone and their mother is aware of the development, but long story short somebody figured out that Sony ****ed up the process of creating the keys to sign authenticated software by using a constant number where they needed a random number. See, if this had been done properly no amount of clever mathematics or brute-force guessing could get the keys, but because the seed was always the same all you needed to find the master key was two public keys.

I am waiting on easy-to-install custom firmware, which I am hoping will not only allow Linux and homebrew, but also support for game backups and other user-added functionality too. For example, I want a native software emulator for PSP games on my PS3.
    The Ultimate Guide Thread
    Quote Originally Posted by Ethernet Networking Bible
    Thou shalt switch where thy can, and route where thy must.

Evangelist

Gotta get a PS3 now.

Crusader

I am installing geohot's custom firmware on my machine tonight to try out the homebrew. Will report back with results. Going to mostly be checking emulator compatibility. Also, going to start getting people to work on adding in MKV media playback to the PS3 through CFW as well... yea. No more need to jury-rig my laptop through my TV when I want to watch Buffy, Angel, Firefly, or The Big Bang Theory...

@Edit: Everything looks good. Homebrew installs as custom PKG's and runs directly from the XMB. Installed Mednafen and SNES9x, as well as Comgenie's file manager and blackb0x FTP. Runs SNES, NES, GB, GBC, and GBA roms well.
    @Edit2: Can also still log in to PSN.
    Last edited by Dyndrilliac : 01-14-2011 at 06:21 PM

custom user title Senior Member

Crusader

Dyn, you should update AsbestOS ;)

Crusader

Eh, AFAIK peek/poke is necessary to get that to run and from what I have been told trying to patch LV2 is a good way to brick your console. I will let the people who have the resources to replace their failed units figure that one out ;) But I could put together a guide for the newbies to get the jailbreak up and running in SMG though. Also, despite not having LV2 patched and backup managers running 100%, can still do pirated games. People have been repacking them into PKG's to run like games downloaded from PSN. I am about to give God of War II a test run to see if it works the way people say it does... will post results. I am however contributing a small amount of my knowledge to help some people port an N64 emulator and helping them do some testing too, so be on the look out for that. Ocarina of Time on PS3? **** yea!

Crusader

**** yea. I ran he firmware on mine yesterday except it didn't work through the debug menu so I took a chance and ran the update straight from Xmb. Everything went well but I thought for sure I bricked my ps3 when it started beeping haha. The only thing I put on it was snes9x, and probably wont explore the pirated games as I'm not really interested in that. Unless it's an activision game that is... ;)

Crusader

It would be nice to have some knowledge on how to restore default functionality back to the ps3 in an event of failure, but for now I think I'll do minimal testing as I only have one spare.

Crusader

As long as you don't run a homebrew app (like snes9x, the ftp utility, mednafen, multiman, etc) WHILE you are logged in to PSN (you can log in to PSN when doing normal PS3 stuff) you should be fine. Likewise, don't test out any lv1/lv2 patches until they have been thoroughly tested by others, and you should be fine. The original 3.55 firmware will reinstall back over geohot's firmware, as will future official firmware updates. Also, my backups of the God of War collection are confirmed working with the new PKG method. Also, the trophies sync correctly and everything.

Crusader

Yeah staying away from lv2 seems like a good idea but everything I want to dev for this requires it like some kind of media manager. It would also be pretty cool to port a tool like artmoney or any other memory scanner with basic debug abilities to attempt to have some fun on PSN. Unfortunately without access to a computer (mine **** the bed) that I could do some testing on, my ideas will have to stay put unless someone else beats me to it.

Thread Information