Showing results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: System of a Down Returns!

From the Land of the Sexy Senior Member
    Gold Member

Inquisitor

Default System of a Down Returns!

BBC - Newsbeat - System Of A Down return for Download festival
    First time playing as a band in years; I hope to **** we get some new material from them shortly after.
    System is back!
    A conclusion is a place you find yourself, when tired of thinking.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranged View Post
    That statements is invalid.

2600 Senior Member
    Retired Staff Member
    Gold Member

Crusader

I just came.
    "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them." -- Thomas Paine, Thoughts On Defensive War, 1775

Quote Originally Posted by ston3rpimp69
    WE NEED MORE WEED MORE BITCHES MORE CAPSLOCK PURE FIRE

not a fan. at all. not to mention they're... strange.

=) Senior Member
    Developer

Supreme Being

**** YES
    Quote Originally Posted by Voice Of Korhal View Post
    Let us hope so, if that Reverse Engineering crap actually works, I'll be amazed.

primum non nocere Senior Member
    Gold Member

Inquisitor

About damn time IMO.

Been waiting for this for a long time...

King of The Jews
    Prophet

I guess you can say, system of a down waked up.

High Priest

Quote Originally Posted by Mookster View Post
    I hope to **** we get some good material from them shortly after.
    System is back!

Gold Member

Inquisitor

I hear you Cantinflas. I'm just worried about Serj; ever since the last two system albums his vocal talent's been diminishing. He just doesn't have that raw sound he used to have.
    Who knows though.

=) Senior Member
    Developer

Supreme Being

I dont know what the **** you're talking about, yah he does.
    Let us hope so, if that Reverse Engineering crap actually works, I'll be amazed.

Music & Movies Senior Member

Saint

Quote Originally Posted by K? Pŕo?ćtiόnŹ View Post
    I dont know what the **** you're talking about, yah he does.
    Holy Jeez, I agree with Kc.

Mookie, if I remember correctly, you liked Daron's solo stuff better than Serj's, so your ear is a bit off. Serj's solo stuff wasn't really like System, so he didn't sing like he does with them. Unlike Daron's 'solo' stuff, Serj actually made some great music, that while sounding similar to System, had it's own very unique, Serj-ish sound. I'd be more worried about Daron working too much (which is very easy) of his whiny little yelps into a new album.

As far as Serj's voice, he's still got it, he just uses it differently. Singing style has evolved, or to be more accurate, his vocal style has evolved to become more of a singer and less of a screamer. No more screaming in every song, the whole song, and growling 22 times a song.

In any case, great news. I wouldn't really care if they made another album any time soon, as long as they do some good touring. They have more than enough material to tour without rushing out an album.
    Better contraceptives will control population only if people will use them. A nuclear holocaust can be prevented only if the conditions under which nations make war can be changed. The environment will continue to deteriorate until pollution practices are abandoned. We need to make vast changes in human behavior.
    -- B.F. Skinner

Gold Member

Inquisitor

Quote Originally Posted by putis View Post
    Holy Jeez, I agree with Kc.

Mookie, if I remember correctly, you liked Daron's solo stuff better than Serj's, so your ear is a bit off. Serj's solo stuff wasn't really like System, so he didn't sing like he does with them. Unlike Daron's 'solo' stuff, Serj actually made some great music, that while sounding similar to System, had it's own very unique, Serj-ish sound. I'd be more worried about Daron working too much (which is very easy) of his whiny little yelps into a new album.

As far as Serj's voice, he's still got it, he just uses it differently. Singing style has evolved, or to be more accurate, his vocal style has evolved to become more of a singer and less of a screamer. No more screaming in every song, the whole song, and growling 22 times a song.

In any case, great news. I wouldn't really care if they made another album any time soon, as long as they do some good touring. They have more than enough material to tour without rushing out an album.
    Maybe it is just me, but one of my favorite things about System is the contrast between Serj's singing and screaming. Songs like Chop Suey and Toxicity were exciting being of how dynamic they were, atleast to me; I like the fast scaling between raw and aggressive, to a peaceful melodic sound. It killed me to hear him singing those songs live as they neared their hiatus because of how much he was softening them up.

Alot of people disagree, I'm sure, but I greatly prefer this:

To this:

Saint

Maybe it is just me, but one of my favorite things about System is the contrast between Serj's singing and screaming. Songs like Chop Suey and Toxicity were exciting being of how dynamic they were, atleast to me; I like the fast scaling between raw and aggressive, to a peaceful melodic sound. It killed me to hear him singing those songs live as they neared their hiatus because of how much he was softening them up.
    He's still just as dynamic, it's just more of a build, a process to get to it, instead of screaming and growling right out of the box. Also, his screams and growls are much more effective if he's not doing them all the time. It's not necessary to scream to be aggressive.

I saw them around 2002-3, and then again a few years later, in fact I saw their last show, and that one was much better than the 2002-3 one. They've matured so much over the years, as has their sound. I really like that Serj feels he doesn't need to scream all the time anymore. His singing voice was always the most beautiful part of System songs, and his bitchin' screams are still there to accentuate it.

You picked bad videos to compare. The venues are totally different. The top video is from Big day out, a huge European festival, with thousands and thousands of people, and is outdoors. The bottom looks like a club, or something small like that, is indoors, and has, at best, half the audience.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5FoZuYSx1I
    YouTube - System Of A Down Chop Suey Live Big Day Out 2005 Sydney

If that's not enough for you, this is a sad day.

Ugh, so sad and fun to look through all the footage of them over the years, but at least I found this.

YouTube - System of a Down - Sultans of Swing (Live 2006) [RARE]

Think they only did this their last tour, in 2006, it was really sad to see them do this then, knowing it was their last show.
    Last edited by putis : 11-30-2010 at 04:05 PM Reason: wrong dates
    Better contraceptives will control population only if people will use them. A nuclear holocaust can be prevented only if the conditions under which nations make war can be changed. The environment will continue to deteriorate until pollution practices are abandoned. We need to make vast changes in human behavior.
    -- B.F. Skinner

Gold Member

Inquisitor

Those were good; I haven't seen many newer performances like that.
    I honestly still like the 2002-2004 System of a Down much more, but maybe it's just a matter of preference. I'm just worried that we'll see an "Imperfect Harmonies" Serj rather than a System of a Down Serj.

But ****, either way, I'm excited to see System back on the stage.

Saint

Those were good; I haven't seen many newer performances like that.
    I honestly still like the 2002-2004 System of a Down much more, but maybe it's just a matter of preference. I'm just worried that we'll see an "Imperfect Harmonies" Serj rather than a System of a Down Serj.

But ****, either way, I'm excited to see System back on the stage.

As long as I can see them in concert, I'll be happy.
    -- B.F. Skinner

Don't get me wrong system of the down was one of my favorites, but Serj is not a good singer in general. He is very creative with the music however, his singing ability is next to null. Most untrained teen-aged boys going through puberty can sing better than him.

It would be really cool if they are going to get back together I would definitely get the new album if it ever came out!

Disciple

Huge SOAD fan. Plus, I go to Download every year. Double win!

=) Senior Member
    Developer

Supreme Being

Quote Originally Posted by Z.A.R View Post
    Don't get me wrong system of the down was one of my favorites, but Serj is not a good singer in general. He is very creative with the music however, his singing ability is next to null. Most untrained teen-aged boys going through puberty can sing better than him.

It would be really cool if they are going to get back together I would definitely get the new album if it ever came out!
    No, he can definitely sing way better than any 15 yr old fag. In general, Serj is a good singer.

Gold Member

Inquisitor

Quote Originally Posted by Z.A.R View Post

His voice is great; SOAD wouldn't be what they are without it, and in spite of my want for the old aggressive Serj, even I'll admit he still uses that voice quite well. I don't know how else you'd define a "good singer."

Thread Information