Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 26

Thread: The Crises of Capitalism

  1. #1
    King of The Jews
    Prophet
    JeweyK's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Hannah, Montana
    Posts
    6,964

    Default The Crises of Capitalism

    The crises of capitalism. [VIDEO]

    David Harvey, a pretty socialist kind of guy, discusses our current standings on the economy. He talks about the problems with America's take on capitalism, but does not have a solution (just like everyone else).

    Open this thread up to discussion on his views, as well as what you believe will help? I think so.

  2. #2
    Gold Member

    Prophet
    Super's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Grandma's basement
    Posts
    7,384

    Default

    http://www.youtube.com/user/theRSAorg

    Their youtube channel pumps fresh doses of intelligence into our interwebs on a regular basis. Highly recommended.


  3. #3

    Enlightened
    CrazyGerbilEater's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    I...Dont...Know...
    Posts
    3,189

    Default

    the problem is there are two views on what should be done and they do half the job, stop, then reverse and try the other because the solution didn't work fast enough. So it just becomes a behemoth of bloated garbage that was never fully implemented, nor taken down when they left the job undone.

    which is why we are neither capitalist nor socialist, but a contorted mutation that needs to be killed.

  4. #4
    Nice to meet you, I'm Will Riker. Space Pimp. Senior Member
    Gold Member
    Administrator

    Crusader
    DSG's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Where no admin has gone before...
    Posts
    3,560

    Default

    I would disagree with you Gerbil. In my opinion, Capitalism and Socialism in their purest forms are both idealogical fantasies not actually achievable by modern society. The only real way to achieve stable society in this era is to implement a balance of both. The better the balance the more smoother society runs. Our founders recognized that and thats why things are the way they are. They also designed the system so that very little would ever get done to change that (thus preventing extreme corruption and socialist/capitalist extremism).

    This crisis here sadly isn't Capitalism (as flawed of a concept as it is), its the loss of sovereignty, liberty and control of/by the people in favor of corporatism and special interests. America has lost sight of the vision of its founders and has become an industrial machine ran by the rich and the powerful.
    Blind belief in authority is the greatest enemy of truth. - Albert Einstein

    Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. -Martin Luther King, Jr.

  5. #5

    Enlightened
    CrazyGerbilEater's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    I...Dont...Know...
    Posts
    3,189

    Default

    completely pure forms, no, however I believe that aligning most of the way towards capitalism is favorable and leaving decisions to individuals instead of mandating them is the best path.

    I'm sure you'd agree that the system has become bogged down and is overly complicated and redundant. Too many laws to follow, and many laws go against constitutional rights, most mandate things best left to individual choice. Need to reel in federal power and regulate things back to states. Also get rid of all the redundant and unnecessary federal and state departments/agencies. If they got that done, I'd actually feel hopeful and happy with this country.

    need to care less for personal safety and care more for personal freedoms/choice.

  6. #6
    Enchantment? Senior Member
    Retired Staff Member
    Gold Member

    Saint
    NickF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    ShopRite
    Posts
    5,378

    Default

    Jesus Christ, this was worse than watching a bad micheal moore movie. Since the 1940s the US has been leaning considerably toward SOCIALISM. The government recently gave money to BANKS and CAR COMPANIES, and the Fed has been artificially creating money since its existence. If this moron thinks CAPITALISM is the problem, and more unefficent governmental control will make us prosper again, then hes a ****ing retard.
    Quote Originally Posted by jpheonix View Post
    i have a form of dyslexia that hinders my ability to scout and macro at the same time.

  7. #7

    Advocate
    Ven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Southampton, UK
    Posts
    285

    Default

    Wow, there is no such thing as pure capitalism or pure socialism. Same goes as a true totalitarian government. Every economy in the world is a mixed economy, they will lean one way or the other from time to time. How do you solve the current economic crises? Nobody can say for sure unless some idiot wants to fire up the war machines and start WWIII which nobody really wants to do.
    Quote Originally Posted by NickF View Post
    Yes, you're a moron because your British. Thats what I said.
    Quote Originally Posted by K? Pŕo?ćtiόnŹ View Post
    you also like to smoke fags.
    Quote Originally Posted by K? Pŕo?ćtiόnŹ View Post
    I'm hiding illegals penis's in my ass.

  8. #8
    Enchantment? Senior Member
    Retired Staff Member
    Gold Member

    Saint
    NickF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    ShopRite
    Posts
    5,378

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ven View Post
    Wow, there is no such thing as pure capitalism or pure socialism. Same goes as a true totalitarian government. Every economy in the world is a mixed economy, they will lean one way or the other from time to time. How do you solve the current economic crises? Nobody can say for sure unless some idiot wants to fire up the war machines and start WWIII which nobody really wants to do.
    Oh, yes, because building mass armies and destroying **** is going to stimulate our economy. Thats like saying I have a leaky roof, bad plumbing and need a new furnace, and the solution is to burn down my house in the hopes to rekindle my energies in order to build a new house. Thats retarded and doesn't address the problem, and it certainly does not make my life any better off. (or in the case of a country in war, a society as a whole)
    It just shift money from the people (through taxes, mostly) and the manufacturers of commodities (because people have less money, and because there is more of a demand for weapons) into a power hungry military industrial complex, so in turn it appears that we are "spending money" again and getting new jobs we other wise wouldn't because we obviously don't need as much weaponry during peace time as we do during war time. Individuals would be worse off, prices would still rise or remain higher than they would be if their was more manufacturing capacity for electronics or other commodities, or even food (which would be in short supply because of the war effort).
    Then after the fact, a bunch of Chinese contractors will flood in and repair damage to war-ridden areas because they work for alot cheaper than american contractors so we won't even get the ability to "rebuild" them (not that we ever REALLY profited off of war repairations in the past after all thats said and done)

    In other words, it will "fix" the problem, but it really doesn't "fix" the problem. Not trying to say that you're wrong this time because many share the opinion you do, but you are wrong.

    Excuse my english, please, its Friday night.
    Quote Originally Posted by jpheonix View Post
    i have a form of dyslexia that hinders my ability to scout and macro at the same time.

  9. #9

    Enlightened
    CrazyGerbilEater's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    I...Dont...Know...
    Posts
    3,189

    Default

    war stimulates the economy by creating jobs to make more weapons/equipment and for soldiers, however, turning a quarter of your country into making just weapons and supplies for wars doesn't help the part of your country that deals with everything else. Once the wars over, those people are out of jobs and suddenly most of those companies have no demand for their supply.

    It's an artificial stimulation for the economy. It's like using sugar for energy, it wears off VERY quickly. The few businesses that manage to turn their product to normal consumers might make a buck and help, but overall it's not good. Just a waste of alot of money and resources that could be used to improve our incredibly old and decaying infrastructure. I mean, alot of our highways and roadways were built with like a tenth of the traffic flow in mind. All that money could be used to replace old power plants, rebuild our electrical system, improve roadways, internet connections, more contracts to researchers that could put us in top spot for technology far into the future, the only real way to compete with the chinese is that. I don't know many scientists/researcher types who would want to go to china for research, and china is going to turn into a real issue soon.

    Government management is incredibly inefficient, I've yet to hear of the government doing anything efficiently.

  10. #10

    Advocate
    Ven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Southampton, UK
    Posts
    285

    Default

    Too lazy to quote both posts, but what I meant was we could all start a massive wasteful war and this would lead us out of recession for maybe 10-20 years. A quick fix, but who in their right mind would WANT to do that? With the EU theres nothing to gain by taking Europe. Invading Russia is just endgame. Invading Africa to take control of the diamond trade would only make diamonds a lot cheaper. Invading the middle east would make oil more readily available, and if you have a good government, cheaper. Invading Asia wouldn't really help at all as they are all practically slave laborers to us already.

    In all seriousness a massive war would be a quick fix, but thats all anyone could gain. No long term progress and there is nothing worth winning even.
    Quote Originally Posted by NickF View Post
    Yes, you're a moron because your British. Thats what I said.
    Quote Originally Posted by K? Pŕo?ćtiόnŹ View Post
    you also like to smoke fags.
    Quote Originally Posted by K? Pŕo?ćtiόnŹ View Post
    I'm hiding illegals penis's in my ass.

  11. #11

    Enlightened
    CrazyGerbilEater's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    I...Dont...Know...
    Posts
    3,189

    Default

    noooooo

    you don't understand, it's not a fix. It is a fake fix, it doesn't help anything. With our current situation we'd be lucky if we made it through the war. Our country is not unified enough to win a major war against a great power, and if any of the great powers believed it was facing imminent defeat, they'd use nukes. We gain nothing by taking over those countries but political influence, we are long past the day where you could take over another country completely. It is too easy to be a terrorist, you only need a percent of a percent of a percent of the population to resent your takeover and your ****ed. Look at our current situation, we don't have the means to win this type of fight yet.

    what we need to do is massively invest into the future, we are already being outpaced and outmaneuvered by china. War cannot solve anything atm, we need to massively invest in our own country to the point of changing our foreign policy massively. We still put alot of money to keeping our political lead in world politics, however, you cannot stay in front of a race the entire race, it'd be better to withdraw and rebuild. War right now, if anything, is just a distraction to the american public from the massive ****hole our country is turning into. It feels like to me, that people are starting to become aware. When I talk to people, they're are unhappy with the government.

    My area, right now, even though we massively voted against a rail system(the way they want to do it is infeasible financially, doesn't make any sense, would cost more, and take more time to ride the rail then to just drive) they still went ahead with it, and got approved already for funding by the government. Which means, we now HAVE to build it.

    Yea, I hope they keep pissing everyone off, because thats the key to making the public aware.

  12. #12

    Advocate
    Ven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Southampton, UK
    Posts
    285

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyGerbilEater View Post
    noooooo

    you don't understand, it's not a fix. It is a fake fix, it doesn't help anything. With our current situation we'd be lucky if we made it through the war. Our country is not unified enough to win a major war against a great power, and if any of the great powers believed it was facing imminent defeat, they'd use nukes. We gain nothing by taking over those countries but political influence, we are long past the day where you could take over another country completely. It is too easy to be a terrorist, you only need a percent of a percent of a percent of the population to resent your takeover and your ****ed. Look at our current situation, we don't have the means to win this type of fight yet.

    what we need to do is massively invest into the future, we are already being outpaced and outmaneuvered by china. War cannot solve anything atm, we need to massively invest in our own country to the point of changing our foreign policy massively. We still put alot of money to keeping our political lead in world politics, however, you cannot stay in front of a race the entire race, it'd be better to withdraw and rebuild. War right now, if anything, is just a distraction to the american public from the massive ****hole our country is turning into. It feels like to me, that people are starting to become aware. When I talk to people, they're are unhappy with the government.

    My area, right now, even though we massively voted against a rail system(the way they want to do it is infeasible financially, doesn't make any sense, would cost more, and take more time to ride the rail then to just drive) they still went ahead with it, and got approved already for funding by the government. Which means, we now HAVE to build it.

    Yea, I hope they keep pissing everyone off, because thats the key to making the public aware.
    You forgot the part about letting us make hacks again without getting threatened. That'd solve everything. As for your country, I was meaning the "Allied" powers vs. some new power. Not your country alone! That wouldn't help the recession because Greece, Spain, Portugal, etc. would still be dragging down the world economy
    Quote Originally Posted by NickF View Post
    Yes, you're a moron because your British. Thats what I said.
    Quote Originally Posted by K? Pŕo?ćtiόnŹ View Post
    you also like to smoke fags.
    Quote Originally Posted by K? Pŕo?ćtiόnŹ View Post
    I'm hiding illegals penis's in my ass.

  13. #13
    Enchantment? Senior Member
    Retired Staff Member
    Gold Member

    Saint
    NickF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    ShopRite
    Posts
    5,378

    Default

    Ven, even your home country has realized more spending will not fix the situation. The UK has been cutting spending across the board.
    Quote Originally Posted by jpheonix View Post
    i have a form of dyslexia that hinders my ability to scout and macro at the same time.

  14. #14

    High Priest
    arcanise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    yuma arizona
    Posts
    1,598

    Default

    rawr herpes
    mobo ASUS P6X58D Premium
    CPU Intel i7 965 bloomfield xe OC'd 3.6Ghz
    ram OCZ gold edition 12GB 1600 Mhz DDR3
    video GTX 465 OC'd 770//1540//1700 CSM
    HDD's 1X kingston 60GB SSD
    HDD's 1X WD 512GB 10,000 RPM
    HDD's 1X WD 1TB 7200 RPM
    Case Cooler master sniper
    cool things Aerocool touch screen fan controller
    OS: win 7 ult X64

  15. #15

    Advocate
    Ven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Southampton, UK
    Posts
    285

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NickF View Post
    Ven, even your home country has realized more spending will not fix the situation. The UK has been cutting spending across the board.
    Indeed, in order to solve the crises we need to work together as a planet. There is no simple fix to this problem. The only thing that can be solved by force right now is France and their riots. The retirement age there is very low, I really don't see what the big deal is. Some countries have a retirement age of 65-68 for Christ's sake!
    Quote Originally Posted by NickF View Post
    Yes, you're a moron because your British. Thats what I said.
    Quote Originally Posted by K? Pŕo?ćtiόnŹ View Post
    you also like to smoke fags.
    Quote Originally Posted by K? Pŕo?ćtiόnŹ View Post
    I'm hiding illegals penis's in my ass.

  16. #16
    Enchantment? Senior Member
    Retired Staff Member
    Gold Member

    Saint
    NickF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    ShopRite
    Posts
    5,378

    Default

    What is the age in France? Jesus people are living longer than they have in years and they want to lower the retirement age?

    Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by jpheonix View Post
    i have a form of dyslexia that hinders my ability to scout and macro at the same time.

  17. #17
    =) Senior Member
    Developer

    Supreme Being
    K? Pŕo?ćtiόnŹ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    11,794

    Default

    Lets just lower how long people live. People werent meant to live this long.

    Pro war and pro disease.
    Quote Originally Posted by Voice Of Korhal View Post
    Let us hope so, if that Reverse Engineering crap actually works, I'll be amazed.

  18. #18
    Enchantment? Senior Member
    Retired Staff Member
    Gold Member

    Saint
    NickF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    ShopRite
    Posts
    5,378

    Default

    Completely ignoring the sarcasm there, people in biblical times lived to be much older than we do now if they actually stayed healthy. Although I doubt they lived as long as 900 years like the bible says, It would not surprise me if they did lvie longer than 100 years.
    http://www.biblestudy.org/basicart/w...-after-it.html
    Quote Originally Posted by jpheonix View Post
    i have a form of dyslexia that hinders my ability to scout and macro at the same time.

  19. #19

    Advocate
    Ven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Southampton, UK
    Posts
    285

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NickF View Post
    What is the age in France? Jesus people are living longer than they have in years and they want to lower the retirement age?

    Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk
    They want to RAISE the retirement age from 60-62. As for your biblical reference, that may or may not be true but I am not going to debate anything religious. Either way in the Bible does anyone retire? Nope. So why is raising the retirement age by 2 years such a humongous deal? Besides the fact that they didn't do it during or after WWII. They were too busy surrendering and not working to care it seems and now its come to bite their economy in the ass
    Quote Originally Posted by NickF View Post
    Yes, you're a moron because your British. Thats what I said.
    Quote Originally Posted by K? Pŕo?ćtiόnŹ View Post
    you also like to smoke fags.
    Quote Originally Posted by K? Pŕo?ćtiόnŹ View Post
    I'm hiding illegals penis's in my ass.

  20. #20
    Enchantment? Senior Member
    Retired Staff Member
    Gold Member

    Saint
    NickF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    ShopRite
    Posts
    5,378

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ven View Post
    They want to RAISE the retirement age from 60-62. As for your biblical reference, that may or may not be true but I am not going to debate anything religious. Either way in the Bible does anyone retire? Nope. So why is raising the retirement age by 2 years such a humongous deal? Besides the fact that they didn't do it during or after WWII. They were too busy surrendering and not working to care it seems and now its come to bite their economy in the ass
    I think it is a reasonable way to save the country alot of money in retirement funds.
    Quote Originally Posted by jpheonix View Post
    i have a form of dyslexia that hinders my ability to scout and macro at the same time.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Capitalism and Pringles.
    By Raistlin in forum Serious Discussion
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 08-09-2007, 05:47 PM

Posting Rules

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •