Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Showing results 61 to 79 of 79

Thread: haha perma cranix and darkmage got ass****ed by blizzard

Quote Originally Posted by TheGameGuy View Post
    these documents dont list the amount of money the complaintent is looking for, just that they are charged with copyright infridgnment
    The 88million Blizzard won from wowscape was not in the docs either, in fact blizzard did not even ask for it, the court decided on the number. They even made wowscape pay blizzard attorney fees.. something like $68k.

I know i'm late to the party, but It seems GamePro picked up the story. (Full Story: Blizzard files lawsuit against StarCraft 2: Wings of Liberty cheaters, News from GamePro)

He who Knows 'Everything', should Know that He Does Not..

Quote Originally Posted by Aberrant View Post
    Unless they can prove without a shadow of a doubt that the files were uploaded from their computer they really don't have ****. I could use cranix's name and post things, that does not make me him.

The whole thing is bs, but because they have plenty of money to throw in to a team of lawyers, they have a pretty decent chance of getting away with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yes but the dum fuks who were selling the hacks openly have a clear trace back to them becouase the noobs sold it to a blizzard employee, all he had to was check which account the money went to and gg. Paypal is such a bitch.

The deal about violating the EULA is the the act of bypassing a companies rules isnt what makes it a felony, its bypassing the laws in place that protect the companies EULA. Thats why WoW Glider lost, Some **** about when you buy the game you actually don't own anything, thats a one time licencee fee, so thus you are actually commiting copyright infringment by editing their program, because it was never yours to do anything with. WoWGlider tried to argue that the law makes the CD theirs, but not the RAM copy, and then the court said lol****u and awarded Blizzard 8 million dollars from a kid who made a program out of his room in his parents house. And @ the post above, yes, US law depicts that when suing someone if you lose you have to pay the attorney fees, im not sure if that applies just to corporations but it happens all the time. The kids who sold anything are going to lose, and going to cost them some money. Also the thing the owned Wowglider was warden, they made wowglider pay for all the expenses of creating and maintaining warden, and they said the hacks bypassed warden, even tho all warden does is detect not prevent. All in all, why did people think they were going to profit off of someone elses copyright and not get made an example out of? Should have been more anonymous imo

custom user title Senior Member

Crusader

What happened in the WoW case is entirely different than what is happening here. I was up late last night reading the entire documentation and found numerous flaws in blizzards report as well as their Eula. I would be more than happy to spend generous amounts of time to help Mike fight this case as it is much more complex than what meets the eye. Blizzard is basically fighting to take away consumer rights by arguing that their copyright or "intellectual property", is being violated. More to come later...

Advocate

Quote Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
    What happened in the WoW case is entirely different than what is happening here. I was up late last night reading the entire documentation and found numerous flaws in blizzards report as well as their Eula. I would be more than happy to spend generous amounts of time to help Mike fight this case as it is much more complex than what meets the eye. Blizzard is basically fighting to take away consumer rights by arguing that their copyright or "intellectual property", is being violated. More to come later...
    The EULA itself is very flawed, especially in the American court system. Lets say you had a bot agree to the EULA and not you, according to the U.S. this means that YOU never signed the EULA. Look at what is happening with all their foreclosures, because they were automated the government is trying to stop and/or challenge their legality. Seeing as the EULA is completely online they cannot prove that a human agreed to it as there were no anti-bot security features. Sure that is a weak argument but if you compare this to foreclosures I'm sure the jury will throw a little sympathy your way. Also the fact that Blizzard traced back the IP in order to find the defendants, in a foreign country, they are violating many privacy laws and circumventing a few of the Homeland Security laws. This alone is enough to win the case, as Blizzard is not a government agency they have no right no invade a users privacy no matter how the EULA is worded, too lazy to look up precedents but I guarantee there are several
    Quote Originally Posted by NickF View Post
    Yes, you're a moron because your British. Thats what I said.
    Quote Originally Posted by K? Pŕo?ćtiόnŹ View Post
    you also like to smoke fags.
    I'm hiding illegals penis's in my ass.

KC's Seal of Approval
    Disciple

Or this.

"My brother plays this game not me. I just have a degree in computer science so he asked me to make a tiny hack for the game. I have never once played it though."
    7654321 1234567

Advocate

Quote Originally Posted by stopthe_bomb View Post
    Or this.

"My brother plays this game not me. I just have a degree in computer science so he asked me to make a tiny hack for the game. I have never once played it though."
    Lol, they would say you hacked it, though technically they cannot sue you for tampering with bits of memory, unless of course the manufacturer of your RAM backs them up. GG Blizzard. No RM.
    Quote Originally Posted by NickF View Post
    Yes, you're a moron because your British. Thats what I said.
    you also like to smoke fags.
    I'm hiding illegals penis's in my ass.

The thing is it is not illegal or against any laws to track down ip addresses to the city in which they are located. Geoip would not exist if this were the case. The reason why most likely the case against the hackers who sold their hack would be lost is due to the fact that they sold their hack which was based soley based on the fact that it was to modify the original coding of the game engine. Simply reverse engineering ram and changing it is not against the law but mainly the act of changing another persons property for profit is against the law. It's like taking a movie changing the lighting and things around to "improve" it and then you sell it and make money off of it. Your making money based on modifying the copyrighted works that the company or persons who produced it own. That being the case that is highly illegal and considering the fact that both peru and canada are a part of the major international copyright laws along with the united states they will be effected in the home country just as much as if they were in america.

Also state laws (even though the lawsuit mentions it) do not have any effect at all on the laws which the defendents are stuck to if they are not within that state for the trial. Federal laws passed by Congress are what effects international lawsuits such as this. Anyways so back onto another thing. Spoofing your ip address is definatly a great thing to do to hide your identity and definatly selling online hacks of copyrighted materials is not the best of ideas(even underground due to word of mouth) but it doesn't fully protect you from them tracking you down. I do not believe with the new bankruptsy laws that it would be possible to declare bankruptsy on such a large ammount especially since how strict the laws have been getting on it.

Also hacks made without a profit still is counted as violating both copyright and the eula. Even if you created a "bot" to automate the entire process that way you never even physically saw the EULA or the TOS it still wouldn't matter you coded the program or gave it the steps to fullfill the required task with the end goal being trying to avoid ever accepting the EULA in a court of law it would be just as applicable if you clicked it as much as if you made the program do it for you. And finally to your alls final point about whether or not a host can be sued for users, administrators, moderators, etc posting on the hosts site with copyrighted material or material that is modifying or copying parts of that material.

Under laws such as the DMCA which have been used to bring down torrent sites, warez sites, etc it is very well possible given the fact if the organization was driven enough to do so to bring down a site for even having a link on the site to a hack/cheat/or other work of that nature. The act of modifying memory once again is not illegal but modifying the copyrighted work in memory from its original intention and use is especially since you agree to that contract before ever playing the game. I am not against cheating and in fact have played with cheats of and on at times for years but I am just here stating the facts. If your a hack developer taking extra percautions such as proxies, cryptic usernames that dont directly link to you, spoofing your user agent in your broswer and useing tools such as noscript and flashblock and this can tremendously block the ability to track down your location.

By not doing so you run the risk of your real identity being revealed. This is like any other breakin that a hacker does. Breaking into a computer system, network, or anything of that sort is illegal and the laws are now being brought into the software side of the law. Computer software has already been proven to be as much valid intelectual property as a movie, music, or as valid as a physical copyright of a deivce. Its going to come to a point where simply doing any modification of a program will be against laws even without a EULA or a TOS. With the way our cyberspace crime laws and such have been going through the courts I expect it to get worse.

Ram is used as secondary storage of information its only temporary the legal code applies to the ram just as much as it does/should to physical things such as a cdrom or the digital download off the battle.net site Anyways thats just my comments I know its a HUGE post but I wanted to clear up and inconsistances that there were in the laws and the arguements being made based on them.
    Last edited by rubendodge : 11-11-2010 at 10:47 AM

=) Senior Member
    Developer

Supreme Being

noones going to read ur post
    Quote Originally Posted by Voice Of Korhal View Post
    Let us hope so, if that Reverse Engineering crap actually works, I'll be amazed.

High Priest

Quote Originally Posted by rubendodge View Post
    long post
    - Not illegal to track IP
    - Hackers modifying original code for profit is illegal
    - Fake IP won't protect you
    - Modify code is not illegal, modify copyrighted material is.

Blizzard Lawyers are probably reading this right now... Anyways, I think Blizzard's just a big money-whore.

Enchantment? Senior Member
    Retired Staff Member
    Gold Member

Saint

Due learn to make paragraphs instead of incoherent rambles.
    Quote Originally Posted by jpheonix View Post
    i have a form of dyslexia that hinders my ability to scout and macro at the same time.

2600 Senior Member
    Retired Staff Member
    Gold Member

Crusader

tl;dr much?
    "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them." -- Thomas Paine, Thoughts On Defensive War, 1775

Quote Originally Posted by ston3rpimp69
    WE NEED MORE WEED MORE BITCHES MORE CAPSLOCK PURE FIRE

Ehh i have a habit of not formatting my online messages Ill go ahead and edit it and make each point into a specific paragraph to separate the information.

Yeah and I sorta was up at 7am with no sleep when I wrote it so literacy wasnt the top of my priorities at the time. I know its bad to get into the habit when tired :/
    Last edited by rubendodge : 11-11-2010 at 10:49 AM

custom user title Senior Member

Crusader

I have more than enough information to legally distribute 3rd party applications and turn profit if I should be so inclined. The problem that GameThreat had (and I wasn't even aware GT was selling hacks??! where the eff was I), was no legal protection. You should notice that GT has no ToS, no EULA, no privacy policy, etc.

In the least GT could have had a disclaimer.

Totally true in the case of being required to break a ToS aggreement on a website to verify the existance of hacks on it and that they work they would not be able to bring any website evidence from gamethreat into court unless gamethreat had either been given a supena or the court allowed for blizzard to do that which would have been unlikly. Legal protection is the first thing that should be added to any site that may or may not be doing something that some feel is wrong and others feel as right.

Retired Staff Member

Celestial Entity

Gotta love it when corporations can create their own laws and have you submit yourselves to them simply by clicking a button.
    "A Responsible Citizen Not Only Shares Culture, But Destroys The Copyright Industries"

"Elegance is not a dispensable luxury but a quality that decides between success and failure. "
    "It Don't Mean a Thing (If It Ain't Got That Swing)"
    “Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.”

Quote Originally Posted by gamepin126 View Post
    Gotta love it when corporations can create their own laws and have you submit yourselves to them simply by clicking a button.
    Funny way to put it in a nut shell.

Thread Information