Showing results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: NEW Exhaust

Enchantment? Senior Member
    Retired Staff Member
    Gold Member

Saint

Default NEW Exhaust

So last week i was hanging around my house and my little sister, who drives a corolla, comes up to me and says her car is making a rattlikng sound when she starts it and when shes in reverse. First thought: ok a hanger rotted and its hitting something. Bring it to the shop, put it on the lift, it was the ****ing heat shield and it rotted right off the bolts. A couple sheet metal screws and its all set. I laugh histarically and tease my sister for it all the rest of the day.

Next day I'm coming up a big hill in my '97 4runner. I smell exuast fumes. So i scream loudly at my ar and when I get home I touched the tail pipe. It flops around like crazy. I get down on the ground, and to my excitement the flange literally rotted off the muffler :rant:

Anyway, I got an estimate down my local muffler shop, for $300 he's going to pipeit from the cat into my new MagnaFlow XL Turbo muffler (Amazon.com: MagnaFlow 13235 XL Turbo Satin Stainless Steel 2.25" Offset Ovalů) and then make a Y pipe into a dual out setup, but he can't get me in until next sa****ay. :cry2:
    For those who are curious, I'm ditching my spare tire because its full of cancer anyway.

(I bought these tips on rockauto):

Does anyone else here have a dual-out setup?

Wish me luck everyone Pics to come!
    Quote Originally Posted by jpheonix View Post
    i have a form of dyslexia that hinders my ability to scout and macro at the same time.

Retired Staff Member
    Gold Member

Saint

I finally got it all done. Brought it to a local Meineke, generally happy with the results, but the guys def messed up on one side. I'm going to go back on Monday to see if they can fix it.
    As for the muffler itself, it sounds great. It purrs like a kitten and then around 4000 RPM its got that nice powerful drone to it that I was looking for.

The results:

The car

Before:
    i have a form of dyslexia that hinders my ability to scout and macro at the same time.

eFamous Senior Member
    Administrator

High Priest

yay v6 cruising drone

Really sucked on my 86 GN with a 3" straight exhaust. On my 87 I got smarter and got quiet(er) duals and a dump pipe with an electric cutout. Much better.
    Quote Originally Posted by ston3rpimp69
    trash hole ha ha jokes on u cuz im polishing my crest kids oral hygiene trophy right now. maybe if they invented a pillow case that cleans ur teeth when u bite it u would have a clean mouth too. get on my fukcin level.

Retired Staff Member
    Gold Member

Saint

Yeah sandy you cant compare a turbo 3800 powerhouse with 3" to a 3400 n/a with 2.25" and a muffler in terms of drone. Actually you can't compare them at all. Do you still have a GN BTW?

Also, its really not that loud. Running with a rotted muffler and no tailpipe for so long, I was almost disappointed at how well the magnaflow quiets it down. It's got a noticeably deeper tone to it though, it sounds nice. I can't hear it over my stereo so I guess that's a good.sign.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

eFamous Senior Member
    Administrator

High Priest

Nah, sold it earlier this year. I'm not making epharmacy money anymore so I wasn't looking forward to doing that 3rd tranny rebuild and all the other stuff it needed.

I just don't like V6 exhaust period. Seems like you either keep it quiet, or you get a nice idle rumble with annoying drone at cruising speeds. If it's a daily driver, I'd rather shut it up. But that's just based on my fairly limited experience with my regals and my friends' small pickups and secretary cars (v6 camaros, stangs etc).
    Quote Originally Posted by ston3rpimp69
    trash hole ha ha jokes on u cuz im polishing my crest kids oral hygiene trophy right now. maybe if they invented a pillow case that cleans ur teeth when u bite it u would have a clean mouth too. get on my fukcin level.

Retired Staff Member
    Gold Member

Saint

Oh that sucks :(. I would love one of those suckers. I had a few fwd rivs with newer 3800 efi's (ln3 and series 1 l27), but they didn't have much nut to them. I love old buicks either way.

A lot of people think like that, its not.just you. I just listen to.loud music so it doesn't bother me much.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

Inquisitor

Sounds a bit expensive to me, I had a full 3" turboback exhaust bent for me for about the same price, provided my own muffler and test pipe. As for the dual tips, I really only like them when they're true dual, not just for looks. Altough, it depends on the car, because some bumpers just look like they're made for nice dual tips.

Pics?

Quote Originally Posted by Dyndrilliac View Post
    Seriously, I have done a lot of drugs. A lot of ****ing drugs. I would snort a line of cocaine off a piss stained urinal in some truck-stop dive with my closest friends and family looking on in disgust before I took anything from somebody I didn't know and trust. That's just ****ing dumb.

Retired Staff Member
    Gold Member

Saint

Quote Originally Posted by MiCrOz View Post
    Sounds a bit expensive to me, I had a full 3" turboback exhaust bent for me for about the same price, provided my own muffler and test pipe. As for the dual tips, I really only like them when they're true dual, not just for looks. Altough, it depends on the car, because some bumpers just look like they're made for nice dual tips.

Pics?
    There are pics in my second post, but as I said the driver side got fucekd up a bit. I gotta go back tomorrow.

Thread Information