Showing results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Easy-as-Pie DVD Ripping Thread

Enchantment? Senior Member
    Retired Staff Member
    Gold Member

Saint

Default Easy-as-Pie DVD Ripping Thread

Foreward:
    After sorting through the stickies, I found a rather old thread regarding DVD ripping. It was long, involved lots of software and its screenshots sort of died. I'mm taking this opportunity to make a new thread simplifying the process, but still allowing you to access the old material for reference.
    http://www.gamethreat.net/forums/har...k-get-vhs.html

The Concept:
    Ripping your DVDs from their physical form to digital data provides the ability more than ever to preserve the data on those discs. More and more lately we see mobile devices, dvd players and even things like GPS's are all integrating videoi support, and it seems to me that its going to become even more important in the next few years. The idea is to move your videos to as many platforms as you can, because you paid for it and have every right to do so.

Tools Needed:
    AnyDVD*:
    SlySoft AnyDVD | any dvd, region free, dvd copy, copy dvd movies, dvd decoder, dvd ripper, macrovision, dvd copying software
    AnyDVD works in the background to automatically remove the copy protection of a DVD movie as soon as it's inserted into the drive, allowing you then to backup the movie using a DVD backup tool such as CloneDVD and CloneDVD mobile. You can also remove the RPC region code, thereby making the movie region free and viewable on any DVD player and with any DVD player software.
    Shareware with a 20 day trial, it is an essential piece of the puzzle however.
    Handbrake:
    HandBrake
    HandBrake is an open-source, GPL-licensed, multiplatform, multithreaded video transcoder, available for MacOS X, Linux and Windows.
    This a very powerful media converter that is, as the description has already said, multi-threaded and portable to many OSs.

Getting Started

The DVD!

Using AnyDVD:
    Ironically, the most powerful and complex part of this ripping process its completely automated. You download the .exe from SylSoft's website. You then proceed to install it and following a reboot its ready to go. No configuring necessary for our purposes. Now insert your DVD, and be greeted with this:

Now hit continue, and you will be greeted with this:

Close out of this box.

Time for Handbrake!:
    Download and install handbrake from the site above, no reboot required. Open up Handbrake.exe and you'll see this screen:

From there, click source.

Select our DVD. It will start scanning, this takes a few seconds so don't worry if everything gets grayed out for a moment. Now pick your profile, I suggest using the "High Profile" preset until you understand more in depth what does what.

Click browse on top, where it says Destination, and make your file name. Now hit Start and you're all set! You should see this:

This is where the bulk of the time is consumed. Depending on your hardware it can take anywhere between 40 mins and a couple hours. Remember its multi-threaded quad-core users!
    Success!!

Image Quality:

Last edited by NickF : 02-23-2010 at 11:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jpheonix View Post
    i have a form of dyslexia that hinders my ability to scout and macro at the same time.

Programmer/PC Enthusiast Developer
    Gold Member

Enlightened

Nice tutorial. I'd also suggest ConvertXtoDVD for those who would like to go the other way (AVI/MKV -> DVD).
    Case: Antec 900
    CPU: Q9650 @ 4.0 GHz [IntelBurnTest stable]
    GPU: ATI Radeon HD6950 UL
    Motherboard: ASUS P5Q Deluxe
    Memory: 8 GB (4x 2 GB) OCZ Reaper HPC DDR2 1066
    Sound: Creative SB X-Fi Fatal1ty Pro
    PSU: Corsair AX-1200
    O/S: 7 Ultimate SP1 X64

Purchase products here (e.g. Premium membership, Black Ops Intervention, H2SO4 for CSS/TF2/L4D, EliteControl for SC, MW2 Liberation v1.06+, etc)

Get Premium for Just $8, and get MW2 Liberation v1.06!

Retired Staff Member
    Gold Member

Saint

Thats another tutorial, however. Good thing ConvertXtoDVD is shareware
    i have a form of dyslexia that hinders my ability to scout and macro at the same time.

MENOS EL OSO Senior Member

Prophet

nice tutorial nick, i remember doing this back in the day with like 8 different pieces of software to get the end product
    Quote Originally Posted by Fagazukin
    It's been clear that some are convinced that Aka is really a psychological problem retard

Retired Staff Member
    Gold Member

Saint

Quote Originally Posted by kds View Post
    nice tutorial nick, i remember doing this back in the day with like 8 different pieces of software to get the end product
    Thanks
    I know me too. Thats what the original tutorial did as well. Its amazing how far our software has come in 5 years, especially for an open source program like Handbrake.

Thread Information