Showing results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Boots

=) Senior Member
    Developer

Supreme Being

Default Boots

Alright so I'm getting my bi-yearly car inspection done and I took my car to a place that takes your car, inspects it, fixes everything wrong with it to get it past inspection, and then you get your car back.

Well I took it there and they gave me there estimate and it was $2,000. I paid $1,500 for my car and the guy paid $300 for my first 3 months of insurance. And I leave in 2 months so I'm not gonna pay that ****.

I reviewed the list of what they said was wrong and took it to a guy whose done many of these inspections manually and he said only 3 discrepancies on the list were actually part of the inspection and they were the power steering boots, the tie-rod boots, and the c/v boots.

What I need help with is determining the serviceability of said boots. What would make a boot bad, holes? Cracks? I dont know. I'm going to take my car and rent a lift to inspect them I just need to know what makes them bad to know if I need to replace them before I take it through the inspection line. Or how to possibly hide possible discrepancy's from the inspectors.

Any help will be appreciated, pictures can be accompanied after I take it to the lift.
    Quote Originally Posted by Voice Of Korhal View Post
    Let us hope so, if that Reverse Engineering crap actually works, I'll be amazed.

Enchantment? Senior Member
    Retired Staff Member
    Gold Member

Saint

Tears, cracks, ect. The main part of repairing your car will be labor. The boots are rather cheap- probably under $15 bucks. However, especially if they are taking off the tie-rod-ends, they are completely dismantling the entire front end of your car. If you wait- you are risking your axle, dirt and grime can get in at it and shred it to hell. Then your talking another $500-$750.
    Quote Originally Posted by jpheonix View Post
    i have a form of dyslexia that hinders my ability to scout and macro at the same time.

Disciple
    O! i seem to have forgotten where i live!

That seems worth the risk for only 2 months.
    Heaven doesn't want me and Hell is afraid i'll take over!

Random information from a randomized mind.
    All spelling and grammar mistakes are intentional------------------------------------------------------------------All spelling and grammar mistakes are intentional

Labor is like 90% cost of everything man.
    But NickF said it on this one.

=) Senior Member
    Developer

Supreme Being

Well I just said **** it and took it through the line and the guy pointed out 5 things that were wrong. 3 boots were bad, the muffler was all rusty (and had a few small holes) all the way to the front of the car, and on the back tires on the inside side of the tires there was wire exposed. And then I said **** it again and paid $500 to an on base repair service to fix all that ****. I'm just tired of this ****. And $500 isnt too bad in my opinion for two years of continuous abuse with no care.
    Let us hope so, if that Reverse Engineering crap actually works, I'll be amazed.

Quote Originally Posted by K? Pŕo?ćtiόnŹ View Post
    Well I just said **** it and took it through the line and the guy pointed out 5 things that were wrong. 3 boots were bad, the muffler was all rusty (and had a few small holes) all the way to the front of the car, and on the back tires on the inside side of the tires there was wire exposed. And then I said **** it again and paid $500 to an on base repair service to fix all that ****. I'm just tired of this ****. And $500 isnt too bad in my opinion for two years of continuous abuse with no care.
    :O
    holy **** man you gotta take care of your car...
    Or invest in a new one and turn a new leaf, and start taking care of it.

=) Senior Member
    Developer

Supreme Being

Not really man. Cars on Okinawa are disposable and very cheap. If I was in the states it would be a different case and of course I would take care of my car but thats not the case here.

Quote Originally Posted by K? Pŕo?ćtiόnŹ View Post
    Not really man. Cars on Okinawa are disposable and very cheap. If I was in the states it would be a different case and of course I would take care of my car but thats not the case here.
    Oh sorry, your location says your in Delaware I didn't know you were overseas.

=) Senior Member
    Developer

Supreme Being

Nah I just did that too **** with someone.

custom user title Senior Member

Crusader

If you've got the equipment DIY dude

Inquisitor

Mad easy to do, and if you (or anyone) needs any replace/repair info with pics/diagrams/specs, I have AllData, which has info on pretty much any car ~70s-2008

Quote Originally Posted by Dyndrilliac View Post
    Seriously, I have done a lot of drugs. A lot of ****ing drugs. I would snort a line of cocaine off a piss stained urinal in some truck-stop dive with my closest friends and family looking on in disgust before I took anything from somebody I didn't know and trust. That's just ****ing dumb.

Bee Double You Hacks Senior Member
    Retired Staff Member

Enlightened

Google it. If its a popular car its bound to have a user-base with how to's and people who can help.

Alldata will help a lot, the information is all there. It can be a a pain in the ass sometimes though.

=) Senior Member
    Developer

Supreme Being

Hey thanks for the information.

Thread Information