Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Showing results 21 to 29 of 29

Thread: Read this before you say that linux sucks

I concur to some extent, I use both on most every day. at home I use my linux computer, and at school i use windows. However, windows has a lot of flaws and holes in the code that are easy to hack past. If I had stole a windows pc, not to say that I would, It would take me about 30 seconds to crack the password and start stealing files, bank info, email accounts, the list goes on and on. It would take three days or more to crack a linux password. Not to say I steal computers. or I would. Also I really do not like how windows tends to tell micro soft what you are doing.

A zero-your personal hero Senior Member
    Gold Member

Blessed

If you're not aware what's on your Windows system and how to secure and/or get rid of it, but you rant about how insecure it is, then I pity you deeply.
    There are loads of excuses for which either of these systems is superior to another. The reason for this happening is because each system was (and still is to some degree) built on different assumptions. Just another reason why you don't compare the two. If you fail to understand that, then, again, I feel pity for you.

The insecurity you're speaking about comes from a person's relation to the data he/she keeps and the knowledge he/she possesses, not software flaws that can be fixed with patches or other software. A badly secured Linux distro is just as dangerous as the so-called insecurity of Windows. The difference between the two is that many Linux distros are more secure out of the box, because they contain, usually pre-configured, software that you'd have to look for (and later, configure) on Windows to secure it in a similar fashion.

Oh, forgot:
    1. First off, there's no code you can't bypass, sooner or later. Period.
    2. Linux and Windows are built in different ways. Linux is pretty much just a kernel and it's the apps, which are built around it, that are more susceptible to attack. Hence why Linux itself looks definitely more secure to Windows.
    Windows is, on the other hand, a "bundle of joy" written pretty much by one group of programmers, that are supposed to code everything inside. Speaks pretty much for itself.

Also, I laughed hard when you, so conveniently, changed the topic from "WOW, LINUX ROONS ON EVERYTHONG!!1" to "WOW, LINUX IS MOAR SEKURR!1".

So there you go. A nice troll-tortilla for ya.
    Last edited by Indefinite : 01-24-2010 at 11:47 PM

Ace #1 Poon Tycoon Senior Member
    Retired Staff Member
    Gold Member

Enlightened

Are you saying that this linux can run on a computer without windows underneath it, at all ? As in, without a boot disk, without any drivers, and without any services ?

That sounds preposterous to me.

If it were true (and I doubt it), then companies would be selling computers without a windows. This clearly is not happening, so there must be some error in your calculations. I hope you realise that windows is more than just Office ? Its a whole system that runs the computer from start to finish, and that is a very difficult thing to acheive. A lot of people dont realise this.

Microsoft just spent $9 billion and many years to create Vista, so it does not sound reasonable that some new alternative could just snap into existence overnight like that. It would take billions of dollars and a massive effort to achieve. IBM tried, and spent a huge amount of money developing OS/2 but could never keep up with Windows. Apple tried to create their own system for years, but finally gave up recently and moved to Intel and Microsoft.

Its just not possible that a freeware like the Linux could be extended to the point where it runs the entire computer fron start to finish, without using some of the more critical parts of windows. Not possible.

I think you need to re-examine your assumptions.

A zero-your personal hero Senior Member
    Gold Member

Blessed

Linux is a seperate system from Windows. Seperate bootloader, drivers and services. And it runs, fairly flawlessly.

And the reason companies sell boxes with pre-installed Windows is because they earn a slice from every sold copy. Not to mention, many people don't know that there's anything else out there, besides Windows.

mov esi, 0x0539 Senior Member
    Retired Staff Member

Saint

Quote Originally Posted by test-acc View Post
    Are you saying that this linux can run on a computer without windows underneath it, at all ? As in, without a boot disk, without any drivers, and without any services ?

That sounds preposterous to me.

If it were true (and I doubt it), then companies would be selling computers without a windows. This clearly is not happening, so there must be some error in your calculations. I hope you realise that windows is more than just Office ? Its a whole system that runs the computer from start to finish, and that is a very difficult thing to acheive. A lot of people dont realise this.

Microsoft just spent $9 billion and many years to create Vista, so it does not sound reasonable that some new alternative could just snap into existence overnight like that. It would take billions of dollars and a massive effort to achieve. IBM tried, and spent a huge amount of money developing OS/2 but could never keep up with Windows. Apple tried to create their own system for years, but finally gave up recently and moved to Intel and Microsoft.

Its just not possible that a freeware like the Linux could be extended to the point where it runs the entire computer fron start to finish, without using some of the more critical parts of windows. Not possible.

I think you need to re-examine your assumptions.
    Really Testies? You're trolling, right...? Linux is a completely different operating system. And there are a few retailers that ship Linux instead of Windows on some of their machines, particularly netbooks.

Also, the Mac OS is a completely separate operating system as well. That's why nothing works on it.

Ace #1 Poon Tycoon Senior Member
    Retired Staff Member
    Gold Member

Enlightened

Haha yeah, sorry. It's an old internet troll that's been around a while, wanted to see if anyone picked up on it. Glad you did :] you know me better then that \o/

(Link)
    Are you saying that this linux can run on a computer without windows underneath it, at all ? - Google Search

mov esi, 0x0539 Senior Member
    Retired Staff Member

Saint

Oh, thank god. <3

Enlightened

you got me

Gold Member

Evangelist

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyGerbilEater View Post
    also, i hate all the stupid terminal commands and parameters, burn in fire.
    Wtf man? Didn't expect this from you... cmds are just fine and their parameters too. just type "cmd --help" or "man cmd"...

Linux is great for servers indeed, as it can accomplish tasks faster and more securely than windows.
    Also, most of the genetic research in genomics is Linux based.

Thread Information