View Poll Results: Interested in contingency money for challenges?

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

4 40.00%
  • No

6 60.00%
Showing results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Challenges updates

Formerly Known as Jakor Senior Member
    Developer

Evangelist

Default Challenges updates

Ok, I'm working with some other staff members, but I figure I would see how this would go over with the programmers here...

I am pushing to get the challenges moved in a new direction. We will no longer be a site solely about starcraft brood war, and our challenges section should reflect that to include any programmers who join the site (although game specific challenges may come up in the future still).

I would like to make the challenges it's own series of forums. We would have a public discussion for any general challenges discussion and non specific discussion. We would have a private discussion (read only for those not in the competition) forum for discussion of the current challenge by those signed up. And a private Post Only board for those signed up to submit their projects (submissions will be "declassified" upon the challenge ending).

Challenges would be open for signup until the end of the registration period. Then they will continue for another period of time. Signing up would include the "purchase" of a membergroup for the specific challenge(s). I am thinking a small entry fee of around $5 per challenge (bigger challenges would get bigger entry fees).

The $5 would go towards contingency money for 1st, 2nd, 3rd place. First will always have a monetary prize. 2nd and 3rd would be added and given a value based on the number of entries.

Of course, I would write up some official rules on everything, but lets see a show of hands on who would think it would be worth my time to set this up.

I think it's a good idea, and could be a great way to attract new people to the site... though I think having to pay to enter would put them off - a reward of recognition would probably be enough (maybe a custom user title: "Winner of X challenges"?)

Banned
    Mortal

The idea is sound, but the problem would be getting enough people to pay the 5$ registration fee.

Formerly Known as Jakor Senior Member
    Developer

Evangelist

The fee is mainly to cover any contengency money won. We had 3 people besides myself whip up an injector for the last challenge. Perma/Flaamed/Hellinsect. This was a project you could throw together in 30 minutes if you wanted. I wanted to make the challenges a bit more complex and therefore have a "reward" for the time put into the challenge. $5 isn't much (1 coffee, two times of not buying fries with your burger, ect). I realize that not everyone will be able to come up with the money or spend it online. But there are more people than you would realize out there WITH that kind of money.

If you were going to take the hours to write a length disassembly engine, then more hours after that to refine it smaller/faster.... you don't want to just get a pat on the back and numerous newbs bugging you to figure out how to use it and why you would want one.... But if you get a pot going, the possibility to make a little money at it goes a long way for motivation.

This is where I am coming from, but I do agree with you that $5 is a little steep for some people. I would like an Idea of how many people this is too steep for, so please answer the poll for your personal information, not as a general rule of thumb (as any poll should be. You cannot assume noone has that kind of money until you ask. and if 90% have the money and think that 50% don't. your poll doesn't do any good....)

How about "mini-challenges" which are free - and possibly aimed at helping less advanced coders/hackers stretch themselves, with the reward of whatever help they get from more senior members (assuming they get any help) - and a bigger pay-in "league" (maybe $10 or more) for the more hardcore guys to participate in.

If GameThreat really wanted to get more coders and hackers on the board, what about team-challenges? Set sized teams have a fixed period of time to achieve a certain goal - whether it's reversing some protocol, exploiting, or creating something.

I know the basics of writing an injector, and with some help from google I could make one, but I certainly wouldn't pay $5 to enter a challenge that I know I have 0% of winning. I might, however, compete in a "less senior" challenge with other coders who haven't written an injector before (because let's face it, there are few key guys on this forum who would win the awards, and no-one else would have a chance). Personal achievement, learning a valuable skill, and the possibility of prize money - what more could one ask for :P

I don't think monetary challenges are a good idea for the community, it just splits up those who can pay vs those who can't. Which will always be an issue with a free site.

A forum bonus by the means of reputation, forum currency, or new forum titles would be better suited for something like this as a reward.

custom user title Senior Member

Crusader

Quote Originally Posted by TheUmbra View Post
    I don't think monetary challenges are a good idea for the community, it just splits up those who can pay vs those who can't. Which will always be an issue with a free site.

A forum bonus by the means of reputation, forum currency, or new forum titles would be better suited for something like this as a reward.
    Agreed. And it should be mandatory for mods / admins to enter all contests or GTFO.

dt....

Inquisitor

Maybe offer the best for both. All challenges can be entered, and if you'd like to take the chance of winning some $$, you can put towards a 'pot'. Judging would be the same for everyone, but the highest scoring person who paid towards the pot would win some money. That way, everyone can enter, and only the people who want to put some money on the line can.

Quote Originally Posted by Dyndrilliac View Post
    Seriously, I have done a lot of drugs. A lot of ****ing drugs. I would snort a line of cocaine off a piss stained urinal in some truck-stop dive with my closest friends and family looking on in disgust before I took anything from somebody I didn't know and trust. That's just ****ing dumb.

mov esi, 0x0539 Senior Member
    Retired Staff Member

Saint

Quote Originally Posted by MiCrOz View Post
    Maybe offer the best for both. All challenges can be entered, and if you'd like to take the chance of winning some $$, you can put towards a 'pot'. Judging would be the same for everyone, but the highest scoring person who paid towards the pot would win some money. That way, everyone can enter, and only the people who want to put some money on the line can.
    This.

Quote Originally Posted by hypn
    a reward of recognition would probably be enough (maybe a custom user title: "Winner of X challenges"?)
    And this.

From the Land of the Sexy Senior Member
    Gold Member

Inquisitor

I was going to suggest that aswell. I don't see any drawbacks to the idea.
    A conclusion is a place you find yourself, when tired of thinking.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranged View Post
    That statements is invalid.

Thread Information