Showing results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: TorrentSpy fined $110 million

Enlightened

Default TorrentSpy fined $110 million

wow, just read this on tgdaily.

Los Angeles (CA) – The MPAA just scored a major anti-piracy victory against TorrentSpy, which once was one of the major BitTorrent indexing Website. The umbrella organization for movie industry won record damages in the amount of $110 million.

The fine appears to be the final chapter in a lawsuit that was filed by the MPAA against TorrentSpy in February of 2006 and ultimately resulted in the shutdown of the service in March of this year. A federal judge awarded the maximum fine of $30,000 for each of almost 3700 files, landing the MPAA $110 million judgment. According to law, the maximum damages for a single infringement is $30,000.

The MPAA heralds this decision as a key judgment that will be the base for future lawsuits against other torrent sites. Valence Media, which operated TorrentSpy, filed for bankruptcy protection in the UK following the judgment.

are they friggen serious, how would torrentspy have even 1 million, or even half that. crazy mpaa. they must be stopped, hopfully this wont domino on other torrent sites.

Inquisitor

Quote Originally Posted by torrentspy.com
    Friends of TorrentSpy,

We have decided on our own, not due to any court order or agreement, to bring the Torrentspy.com search engine to an end and thus we permanently closed down worldwide on March 24, 2008.

The legal climate in the USA for copyright, privacy of search requests, and links to torrent files in search results is simply too hostile. We spent the last two years, and hundreds of thousands of dollars, defending the rights of our users and ourselves.

Ultimately the Court demanded actions that in our view were inconsistent with our privacy policy, traditional court rules, and International law; therefore, we now feel compelled to provide the ultimate method of privacy protection for our users - permanent shutdown.

It was a wild ride,

The TorrentSpy Team

"Big Brother in the form of an increasingly powerful government and in an increasingly powerful private sector will pile the records high with reasons why privacy should give way to national security, to law and order [...] and the like." - Justice William O. Douglas
    That was two months ago. Pussies dropped out before the win.

Still got my Torrent-Finder. I don't really care.
    "Roses are red, Violets are blue, I'll **** you with a rake."

Enlightened

but you dont learn of the 110 million dollar fine, which is pretty crazy. i dont think ive ever seen a torrent site fined like that in the news. seems like big news to the torrent comunnity, if the mpaa managed to fine and bankrupt a torrent site, even though it was taken down earlier.

cases like this tend to domino, now torrent sites will start getting huge fines and bankrupting, instead of just getting taken offline or somthing. intresting to look up what they based the fines on, and if its possible to apply this to other favorite torrent sites.

but still yikes, 110 million.......crazy

hmm, they lost because they deleted records of ips of users, not even contested in court.
    Last edited by CrazyGerbilEater : 05-08-2008 at 07:56 PM

Nice to meet you, I'm Will Riker. Space Pimp. Senior Member
    Gold Member
    Administrator

Crusader

TorrentSpy Won't Pay $111 Million Court Order, Lawyer Says | Threat Level from Wired.com
    Hah, its just the MAFIAA trying to scare the **** out of everybody. TorrentSpy will get out of paying a cent of that 110 million most likely.
    Blind belief in authority is the greatest enemy of truth. - Albert Einstein

Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. -Martin Luther King, Jr.

Enlightened

i figured they wouldnt pay it, because how would they have that kind of money, its not like everyone of its users paid a subscription, and the ads wouldnt give that kind of money. but still, bankrupting isnt good, and getting all that tagged on is slightly intimidating.

Weiße Kraft Senior Member

Messiah

The MPAA, he said, wants "other torrent owners and operators to look at the $111 million figure and say, 'I'm getting out of the business.'"
    ****s sake, how can they say that, torrents are NOT A BUSINESS! They make no one money at all in any form, jesus christ!
    Ho boy!

Here is wisdom. Let him that hath understanding count the number of the beast: for it is the number of a man; and his number is Six hundred threescore and six.

Retired Staff Member

Evangelist

I don't understand how a site that's giving stuff away for free is expected to be able to come up with $111 million...

Premium Brawler Account Senior Member

Enlightened

Quote Originally Posted by howardmeis View Post
    ****s sake, how can they say that, torrents are NOT A BUSINESS! They make no one money at all in any form, jesus christ!
    Wrong. Torrents are some of the biggest money makers...
    Quote Originally Posted by Lil Javi View Post
    HAHA! u should somehow involve a bj in that though! now that would impress me!

well all ****ing know this wont come true just killing the ip addresses made them FAIL in court its just a fear tactic, but anyone with a brain would know they cant do ****, on a further note why the **** wouldnt they make money, first of all, how many people GO to torrent sites, with the numbers in the millions people pay big bucks to advertise

We tear your soul apart Gold Member

High Priest

I doubt the MPAA will ever be able to touch TPB

Quote Originally Posted by ston3rpimp69 View Post
    YO FUKC U PUNK ASS FGTS THIS GROUP IS FOR AWESOME MOTHERFUKCERS DOING AWESOME MOTHERFUKCIN THINGS AND DISCUSSING IMPORTANT AND PROFOUND TOPICS SUCH AS SUBSTANCE EXCHANGE RATES, JAILBAIT, COOKIN CRANK, TRISH'S SNATCH, BEER AND TACOS. WE ALSO GO ON FIELD TRIPS AND SIHT. SO IF UR INTO BEATIN HOMELESS PPL WITH SOCKS FULL OF BATTERIES THEN JOIN THIS FUKCIN GROUP CUZ U CANT BE A SCARED LITTLE BITCH ALL UR LIFE

Thread Information