14 21.21%
  • XP

52 78.79%
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
Showing results 101 to 120 of 120

Thread: Vista or XP?

Saint

Quote Originally Posted by LoyaL View Post
    You must be the worst techie in the world. I didn't even have one slight hickup transferring nearly everything from XP to Vista.

And optical drives disappear with XP much more often than with vista, in my experience, and because of user error. People accidently change the setup/bios to not automatically detec the drives.
    Right... I work on 30 computers a day, the odds of something going wrong in 30 is a lot higher then your one computer.

And no, its a registry error where you have to delete the upper and lower filters entry's to fix it.

Most people that come to us don't even know what the hell a bios is let alone mess with it.

Idiot
    Bring Back BWHacks!

Get XP then do a dual boot. Install Vista so that way you can have 2 operating systems. Some programs only work with XP and lower not vista. So to be sure that you can use any program dual boot.

By the way get a Dell Computer, there good...

Disciple

This is still going? lol

Saint

Quote Originally Posted by antihacker77 View Post
    Get XP then do a dual boot. Install Vista so that way you can have 2 operating systems. Some programs only work with XP and lower not vista. So to be sure that you can use any program dual boot.

By the way get a Dell Computer, there good...
    Omg, every bit of that makes me want to hurt baby's.
    Last edited by el-camino-ss : 05-10-2008 at 01:11 AM
    Bring Back BWHacks!

Disciple

Especially the part about Dells being "good". They would be better if they didn't come pre-loaded with all of the "free" offers and spyware.

Saint

Quote Originally Posted by Travis View Post
    Especially the part about Dells being "good". They would be better if they didn't come pre-loaded with all of the "free" offers and spyware.
    Dells are actually not that bad, hp's are the worst with there hp adviser crap and all the rest.

I hate dells but love when we optimize new ones because there pretty much already done.
    Bring Back BWHacks!

mov esi, 0x0539 Senior Member
    Retired Staff Member

Saint

A computer is going to suck regardless of brand if the user is a moron.

Deviant

Quote Originally Posted by el-camino-ss View Post
    Dells are actually not that bad, hp's are the worst with there hp adviser crap and all the rest.

I hate dells but love when we optimize new ones because there pretty much already done.
    I would agree, except my HP laptop was worth the 5 minutes of disabling for the extremely sexy case.

Also, i do not like dell. Could they overprice overrated hardware any more?

No wonder they get along with alienware so well.

Quote Originally Posted by EvilSinz View Post
    1-) when I started > then your work now
    2-) Im not 16 or 17
    2-) FALE FALE FALE FALE FALE FALE FALE FALE FALE
    4-) yes there is 2 2's **** YOU

Enlightened

After dealing with the tech support line for HP on a work printer, I will NEVER own anything that is made by them. They are morons and their customer service sucks.

I ban you Otaku for making me check :P

Have you seen my penguins?

Quote Originally Posted by Perma View Post
    A computer is going to suck regardless of brand if the user is a moron.
    If the user is using a dell/an hp/vista on purpose (meaning they have a choice to use something else (that is decent), and wouldn't be arbitrarily penalized for doing so), they're a moron.

Fail+fail != win.

Retired Staff Member

Saint

I've never had an issue with this Dell or its hardware (except at the fault of Vista) in the three or four years that I've owned it. Sure, maybe buying one of their pre-assembled sale models isn't a swift idea. But choosing the hardware yourself usually yields a pretty reliable machine and their customer support, in my experience, is solid.

They don't (or, didn't, maybe they do now) load their machines with a great deal of bloated, useless software applications besides their proprietary support software which is fixed in a couple of minutes.

I would recommend a Dell to anyone, but I wouldn't recommend a computer to anyone incapable of taking the extra care and patience involved in keeping it functioning like a well-oiled machine. I don't want to come off as a Dell fanboy but they've scratched my back over the years and I don't mind returning the favor.

Administrator

Inquisitor

I switched to Vista a couple weeks ago. Ended up buying a new computer because it was so slow on my Athlon X2 3800+. It's running fine now, on an Intel QuadCore with 4 GB RAM. Still pretty ridiculous having to buy a new computer just for the OS. I wish that people realized that Windows sucks and all switch to Linux.

Retired Staff Member

Saint

Quote Originally Posted by dt View Post
    I switched to Vista a couple weeks ago. Ended up buying a new computer because it was so slow on my Athlon X2 3800+. It's running fine now, on an Intel QuadCore with 4 GB RAM. Still pretty ridiculous having to buy a new computer just for the OS. I wish that people realized that Windows sucks and all switch to Linux.
    I'd happily make the switch to Ubuntu on this machine if it was more widely supported and I could do everything I can do on Windows ( the same way that I do it on Windows - no emulation required).

I'm in ur user profile changing ur name back
    Gold Member

Messiah

Yeah. If I could play all of my games without emulation on Ubuntu, I would probably do it.

Disciple

Upgrading your old computer to accommodate the latest in Operating Systems? Whoa, what a concept. How dare those companies for making advances. If they keep this up, we will have supercomputers! Oh dear!

Saint

Quote Originally Posted by Perma View Post
    They don't (or, didn't, maybe they do now) load their machines with a great deal of bloated, useless software applications besides their proprietary support software which is fixed in a couple of minutes.
    Yea they pretty much only come with dell games and a trial of norton.

I love doing setups on these new because its fast but we still see tooons of dells in for repair. A lot of older ones though so I suppose they have a good life line.

Eh whatever... I hate brands, they need to just be blank because besides the case there all practically the same inside....
    Bring Back BWHacks!

Quote Originally Posted by dt View Post
    The problem with that is everyone here just wants to play video games, and doesn't want to have to spend a few minutes to get them working. They just want to put in the CD, click install, and start playing. Anything more complicated then that is to much.

And most people don't mind having to spend hundreds of dollars or more just to get a more bloated GUI without significant functionality improves. All most people care about are what it looks like.

Yes, Linux's Beryl (which has existed long before Vista) is of course better and doesn't require you to buy a new computer, but it can take a few minutes to set it up just right, so most people won't want to hassle with that.

A zero-your personal hero Senior Member
    Gold Member

Blessed

From what I've heard some time ago, Google helped out Wine tremendously in versions ~0.9.54 and later, by implementing support for Photoshop, which was a spark that eventually pushed the project development a lot further.

Although it's just an emulation, I think it's worth at least trying out, as there is a RC of the incoming 1.0 out.

As for the "Windows sucks, Linux owns" type of people, I gotta say that Windows would be a pretty decent piece of software, if it wasn't for Microsoft's policies and enforcements, which take place instead of updates and fixes.
    Last edited by Indefinite : 05-12-2008 at 08:33 AM

Blessed

Eh I have a dell laptop, it works good and the inside is expensive as hell (1.5k for it) but DAMN IS THE CASING/KEYBOARD ****ING CHEAP!

Almost all of my F# keys have fallen off, and they dont snap back on, (Lucky for me the # and letter keys snap right back on :l ) and the ****ing little pads on the corners have almost all fallen off.

I've had it for about 1.2 years and it looks like **** lol, but it still runs good. Im happy with it but it looks like a ****ing junker, even though its awesome.
    BD-ICY
    Seems that way.
    > Successfully injected Heroin.dll <
    Found my old account.

ston3rpimp69: my mother told me id have my own personal ball-washer some day. im glad all that hard work paid off.

Disciple

I would recommend getting a Toshiba laptop, IMO they are the best and most reasonably priced all-around desktop replacements.

Thread Information