66. You may not vote on this poll
  • Vista

14 21.21%
  • XP

52 78.79%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Showing results 41 to 60 of 120

Thread: Vista or XP?

The problem isn't whether or not Vista is capable of booting up.
    The problem is that Vista sucks (across the board).

A zero-your personal hero Senior Member
    Gold Member

Blessed

Quote Originally Posted by Azu View Post
    The problem is that Vista sucks (across the board).
    Now that's widely known.
    Still, it's just like if we haven't seen enough of Micro$hit's bloatware enforcing policies and idiots taking the bait...

primum non nocere Senior Member
    Gold Member

Inquisitor

I've given the whole bloatware concept a thought, and now I'm starting to wonder if it's necessary. Is it necessary for MS to continue to up their requirement upgrades? I mean, didn't they strike a deal with hardware companies in order to sell their products? If you think about it, hardware sells easily if there's a new OS that requires the firepower new hardware can pack.

Whatever, maybe I'm thinking too much on it and Microsoft is really just a huge corporation of dicks.

Inquisitor

Anything Vista does that's worth doing XP can do, just as well if not better, without the limitations of software/hardware, more stability, and less hogged resources. I see no reason to go with vista under any circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by Dyndrilliac View Post
    Seriously, I have done a lot of drugs. A lot of ****ing drugs. I would snort a line of cocaine off a piss stained urinal in some truck-stop dive with my closest friends and family looking on in disgust before I took anything from somebody I didn't know and trust. That's just ****ing dumb.

A zero-your personal hero Senior Member
    Gold Member

Blessed

Quote Originally Posted by han_han View Post
    If you think about it, hardware sells easily if there's a new OS that requires the firepower new hardware can pack.
    That's what games are made for nowadays, not OSs.
    And if you want the DX10, you can get it on XP. Just use your googling skills.
    Fact is that currently XP can do all the things Vista does, DX10 included.

The ironic part of M$'s policy is that Vista and Windows Server 2008 are built basically on the same core.
    The funny part starts when Vista hogs more resources than Server 2008 does. Rational thinking suggests, that it should be the server software that should require more from the hardware. Pull the conclusions yourself.
    Last edited by Indefinite : 05-06-2008 at 08:20 AM

Windows Server 2008 == Vista
    Windows Server 2003 == XP64bit

Disciple

Vista is definately the choice I would make. I have been running it perfectly fine for a year, the only thing I am forced to do is use third party drivers for my 8800GTX. I love all of the new features and innovations that Vista provides. I am running Vista X64. The only reason people are complaining about Vista is because they are ignorant, and do not know how to caress the beast. If you are good to Vista, Vista is excellent to you. It is like a loyal companion. When Windows XP first came out, people had the same feelings about it, and wanted to stick with either their Windows ME, or their Windows 98 SE.

If you really do not want to go with Vista, I would also recommend you not go with XP either. I would steer you toward Windows FLP (For Legacy PC's) which is a heavily stripped down version of Windows XP, that is very lite, contains a lot, if not all of the functional features of Windows XP, and eliminates a lot of the common headaches of Windows XP as far as resources are concerned. It even runs on pc's that were built for Windows 98, so you will be assured it will run on your brand new system. It is also very easy to obtain, and I am sure you know how I am talking about.

That was my $.02

Saint

Quote Originally Posted by Travis View Post
    Vista is definately the choice I would make. I have been running it perfectly fine for a year, the only thing I am forced to do is use third party drivers for my 8800GTX. I love all of the new features and innovations that Vista provides. I am running Vista X64. The only reason people are complaining about Vista is because they are ignorant, and do not know how to caress the beast. If you are good to Vista, Vista is excellent to you. It is like a loyal companion. When Windows XP first came out, people had the same feelings about it, and wanted to stick with either their Windows ME, or their Windows 98 SE.

If you really do not want to go with Vista, I would also recommend you not go with XP either. I would steer you toward Windows FLP (For Legacy PC's) which is a heavily stripped down version of Windows XP, that is very lite, contains a lot, if not all of the functional features of Windows XP, and eliminates a lot of the common headaches of Windows XP as far as resources are concerned. It even runs on pc's that were built for Windows 98, so you will be assured it will run on your brand new system. It is also very easy to obtain, and I am sure you know how I am talking about.

That was my $.02
    except your wrong.

Vista sucks.

I'd have to say 99 percent of the computers we take into geeksquad for issues are vista related.
    Bring Back BWHacks!

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by el-camino-ss View Post
    except your wrong.

Vista sucks.

I'd have to say 99 percent of the computers we take into geeksquad for issues are vista related.

I am a certified computer tech, and have my own computer-doctor-like business making house calls; and guess what ... 99 percent of my customers do not have the extent of my knowledge of Windows Vista, let alone the Windows operating system, or most of the time, anything beyond basic computer knowledge. So I would have to say that your statement is extremely biased. Most of the issues that you deal with, I am sure, are due to operator error, or ignorance.

=) Senior Member
    Developer

Supreme Being

No, vista sucks, its a true fact. And camino, stfu with your gay ass geek squad ****, noone cares about you working at some fag ass, no skill, job.

But seriously, vista sucks, Why would you need anything higher than 32bit?
    Quote Originally Posted by Voice Of Korhal View Post
    Let us hope so, if that Reverse Engineering crap actually works, I'll be amazed.

Saint

Quote Originally Posted by K? Pŕo?ćtiόnŹ View Post
    No, vista sucks, its a true fact. And camino, stfu with your gay ass geek squad ****, noone cares about you working at some fag ass, no skill, job.

But seriously, vista sucks, Why would you need anything higher than 32bit?
    dude, grow up, its just a ****ing job.
    Bring Back BWHacks!

Deviant

"Vista Sucks" is not a fact. You sir are a retard. Vista is a resource hog, but for those of use with resources to spare (like most computers out now) it is worth the extra "prettiness" with no loss of functionality.

The reason 99% of your problems are with Vista, retard, is Vista is new and on every new computer, and the Computer Illiterate still have trouble figuring it out.

Heres a plan, draw an outline of your posts from now on, before making them. Maybe it will keep you from making stupid, biased claims.

Quote Originally Posted by EvilSinz View Post
    1-) when I started > then your work now
    2-) Im not 16 or 17
    2-) FALE FALE FALE FALE FALE FALE FALE FALE FALE
    4-) yes there is 2 2's **** YOU

Deviant

I bought a new motherboard, and now the computer works! I haven't tested to connect the hard drive yet, my dad thinks it not gonna be ok... He thinks the windows won't start cuz there are new components on the motherboard.

But anyway, thank you guys! If my computer crashes later, I think I'm gonna buy a XP, even if it's much expensivier... ;)

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by LoyaL View Post
    "Vista Sucks" is not a fact. You sir are a retard. Vista is a resource hog, but for those of use with resources to spare (like most computers out now) it is worth the extra "prettiness" with no loss of functionality.

The reason 99% of your problems are with Vista, retard, is Vista is new and on every new computer, and the Computer Illiterate still have trouble figuring it out.
    That is exactly what I am saying.

El-Camino, since you have so many of these problems related to "Vista sucking", I would like to hear a specific example, caused specifically because "Vista sucks".

Quote Originally Posted by Totte_ch View Post
    If my computer crashes later, I think I'm gonna buy a XP, even if it's much expensivier... ;)
    I would highly recommend you download Windows FLP (For Legacy PC's) because it will run much better than Windows XP, it will use less resources and it will be much faster. It is extremely easy to obtain if you know what you are doing.

Deviant

Now I maybe need a program on a CD to boot that will update windows and make it so I can start windows with my new motherboard. It's not a old computer and my computer is not slow...
    If I not can start windows with my new motherboard, I need some sort of software that will repair windows and get it to work with the new components on the motherboard... but that kind of software doesn't exists, does it??

mov esi, 0x0539 Senior Member
    Retired Staff Member

Saint

Quote Originally Posted by Travis View Post
    That is exactly what I am saying.

El-Camino, since you have so many of these problems related to "Vista sucking", I would like to hear a specific example, caused specifically because "Vista sucks".

I would highly recommend you download Windows FLP (For Legacy PC's) because it will run much better than Windows XP, it will use less resources and it will be much faster. It is extremely easy to obtain if you know what you are doing.
    Why does Vista suck? Here is my story.

Vista sucks because Microsoft rushed to push it out the door. They didn't give hardware manufacturers time to create drivers that actually worked half-ass (Creative and nVidia) and those companies still have piss poor support for the operating system.

Of course, that's not the fault of Microsoft that no one can create working drivers for their "next-generation" operating system. But they could have waited until such a time when good ones existed.

Now, I had Vista installed for about eight months. I like to think that I know what I'm doing when it comes to a computer and operating one. I was impressed and in awe at the shiny new interface that Vista is sporting, and that admiration lasted until I fired up a media player and started to play music, when I discovered that (even to this day) the sound support is terrible on the part of Creative hardware.

But hell, a little screech or skip now and again isn't too big of a deal. What suddenly became a big deal was video playback - it sucks my balls. The quality of the video (both from a DVD and on-file AVI) was a far cry from what I was used to on XP, and if that wasn't awful enough, Vista decided that it would not support my 5.1 surround sound speakers (I've tried everything - and I mean everything, to get this to work).

Upset that I may have just wasted the $200 buying Vista only to put my old operating system back, I installed a couple of games (World of Warcraft and Doom 3) and tried them out. I have 2x nVidia 6800 GT 256MB video cards.

World of Warcraft wasn't too bad. The sound issue still drove me insane but I didn't take too rough of an FPS hit on the new operating system. When I did notice problems was in windowed mode and running multiple instances of the game, which I frequently do to play two accounts at once. Doom 3 on the other hand, was a different story. The game absolutely choked under DX10, the textures were ****ed, everything was ****ed. It was unplayable.

Now, I understand that the resources available for a computer are expanding and all that, and my computer is about three years old with a few modifications since. Basically it boils down to what you want out of an operating system. If you want:

• To stare at visually impressive (albiet, ultimately useless) features
    • Surf the internet (usually for drivers so your hardware functions)
    • Chat and check your email
    • waste money on expensive upgrades or a new system

Then you should go with Vista. If you want to:

• Play games
    • Do video editing
    • Listen to sound of any kind
    • Watch movies
    • Not have to waste money on upgrades so you can use an operating system that can't do the things listed above

Then go with XP. And, if you have a machine that was purchased before Vista came out, don't bother upgrading. Chances are your hardware won't be supported or you won't have the resources to run your computer half as smoothly as you could with XP.

EDIT: One other thing about Vista. As a developer, dealing with Vista's pain in the ass permission requirements makes me want to tear my hair out and causes ass-loads of issues. Not to mention 3D Game Studio doesn't work on Vista. Sigh.

I'm in ur user profile changing ur name back
    Gold Member

Messiah

Vista annoyed the hell out of me. Woo for 64-bit XP.

edit: my system:

AMD Phenom 9500
    6GB RAM
    ~1.9 TB of HDD space
    8800 GT

The Future Senior Member

High Priest

Have you tried using the latest Beta nVidia drivers, Perma? I use them on Vista and notice quite a drastic performance increase from their official stable ones.

As for Creative, there's some 3rd-party driver that lets them work on Vista just about as good as XP with additional things, if I can remember where they're at I'll provide a link.

I've really not had any problems with Vista, my oc'd c2d e6300, SLI'd 8600GT and 2gb ddr2 667 ram runs Vista more performance gainage then XPP, I'll wholefully admit I'm more familiar with XP and would choose XP over Vista, but blindly putting Vista down because you've either never used it, never bothered to actually attempt to tweak it, gotten 3rd-party/devel drivers, etc, is kinda your own fault.
    Quote Originally Posted by DSG on AIM
    dsg (12:34:34 AM): i gave my ups driver
    dsg (12:34:37 AM): a popsicle
    dsg (12:34:39 AM): when it was hot out
    dsg (12:34:43 AM): and i had pissed in it
    dsg (12:34:47 AM): the popsicle fluid
    dsg (12:34:50 AM): that i used to make
    dsg (12:34:51 AM): em
    dsg (12:34:53 AM): i planned it out
    dsg (12:34:54 AM): LOL
    dsg (12:34:59 AM): ordered a package
    dsg (12:35:01 AM): stayed home all day
    dsg (12:35:09 AM): and gave him a popsicle i had prepared
    polie13 (12:35:15 AM): ..thats pretty ****ed up

mov esi, 0x0539 Senior Member
    Retired Staff Member

Saint

The idea of Vista is ease of use. If a $200 piece of software - that requires me to purchase hundreds of dollars of equipment upgrades just so that I can use it properly - doesn't work right out of the box, then it sucks.

Deviant

Perma: Thank you for finally giving reason to the claims

It mostly sounds like you didn't have enough memory to run vista ? ? I have had no problems, at all. In a side by side with my other desktop, XP is blown out of the water. All the functionality and +Great Graphical Interface.

Of course, this shouldn't par the course for everyone, my newest desktop was quite expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by EvilSinz View Post
    1-) when I started > then your work now
    2-) Im not 16 or 17
    2-) FALE FALE FALE FALE FALE FALE FALE FALE FALE
    4-) yes there is 2 2's **** YOU

Thread Information