Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 114

Thread: Why linux sucks and you are weetawded for using it

Banned
    Mortal

Default Why linux sucks and you are weetawded for using it

Well, youíve seen a lot of posts on this site about Linux and Free and Open Source Software on this very site. Mostly all of it has been pro-Linux. So here, to balance the scales, is the other side of the story! :woop:

1. No Games! Or at least, not many games to speak of. No, I donít mean running an emulator to support Windows games. No, I donít mean the emulators for arcade and Nintendo. I want to play, not emulate. Native, platform games, made for it and working with it. No, I donít mean some text-mode rogue thing or the nerdy little puzzle games that come with Gnome and KDE. When will Linux decide to pay more attention to the FUN side?
    2. Chasing Windows. Seriously, itís nice that most distros went from all the command and console stuff to a full desktop-capable system like Macs and Windows. Now it needs to find its own look. Too many distros out there are trying to be a perfect clone of Windows XP; if I want XP, I know where to find it. Get Linux over its insecurity complex and have it make up its own ďlook and feelĒ already!
    3. All the hardware is supported - except mine. Can I get this digital camera working? 800 drivers for digital cameras - nope mine isnít on the list. What about this wireless card? Dozens of brands supported - whoops, I bought the wrong one! Iím tired of playing hardware bingo - either Iím very unlucky at it, or thereís still some big holes to fill.
    4. Problems coming up to a desktop. At least detect good default settings for a monitor and video card, and then give me an easy way to fix the size and color depth if I need to. Many, many distros do this, so the ones that donít and either haul off and boot me to a plaid striped letterbox screen or leave me at a console trying to guess what my monitorís vertical refresh rate is are even guiltier by comparison. Itís all open source, so the distros that get it wrong can just borrow from the ones that get it right, right?
    5. Inner-Linux flame wars. KDE vs. Gnome! Emacs vs. vi! Ubuntu vs. Mandriva! All of these are fought just as feverishly as if theyÖ. cost money. Hey, youíre giving it all away for free, so who cares what anybody uses?
    6. FOSS Purity. OK, I loaded a closed-source driver onto my system so my video card will work. Do I have to be nailed to a wall for it? Yes, I know open source is the One True Way - and if all the drivers are open one day, that will make me very happy. In the mean time, I care about what works first. Ditto the haggling over licenses - thereís forty of them, most of them differ in one or two details, and thinking about legal stuff gives the user side of me a headache.
    7. Obsession over taking over from Windows. When is the year of Linux on the desktop? Who cares? Look, again, youíre giving it away for free, so if you take over 98% of Microsoftís market share, you are ahead exactly how far?
    8. Linux devotees are too serious. Because you canít post a list like this and not have a bunch of them come flame you. Lighten up. Your systemís fine. We love you. Youíre big enough now to take your beating along with the other platforms

I'm in ur user profile changing ur name back
    Gold Member

Messiah

Where's the copypasta from?

Inquisitor

No profit is the reason for all of those questions. No profit, because everything is open.

Linux is great, BTW. I'd totally use it if my Mac was more supported. Also, I'm no heavy-devvy.
    "Roses are red, Violets are blue, I'll **** you with a rake."

Evangelist

Most of the problems you posted weren't the os's fault, it's the developers fault for not supporting Linux for the content you desire so much.

There is native games for linux, check your repositories for ones that are more to your likeing. Also all of ids current computer games have native linux versions.

Gold Member

Prophet

Windows has much less hassle than linux. Sure linux is more stable and more straight to the point, but it requires too much effort for the casual pc user. If I was ever doing any important work on which my career depended on, then I'd use linux.

Retired Staff Member

Saint

Additionally, if there is something for which you absolutely must use Windows, there is a revolutionary new process called "Dual-Booting" from which you can - get this - load either of two operating systems on startup, or indeed, from as many as you'd like! What'll these crazy techies think up next?
    NEWS YOU CAN USE. IF YOU CHOOSE NOT TO USE THIS NEWS YOU WILL BE KILLED.

Gold Member

Prophet

Sorry, I'm a true American. I like pressing the power button, walking away, and then coming back when the OS has booted. No dual-boot selection screen for me.

hardhittnnigazwtpipznsht Senior Member
    Retired Staff Member

Prophet

Most boot screens automatically choose your primary OS after a certain amount of seconds...
    Last edited by BloodyBlade : 09-23-2007 at 11:53 AM

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Leary
    Think for yourself. Question authority.
    420forwyfetho

Gold Member

Prophet

Yes, but booting from my secondary OS would require me to wait. I had ubuntu for a while. I really saw no practical use for it. Since I downloaded the version of xp I'm using now, I've yet to have windows "crash" or force me to restart.

hardhittnnigazwtpipznsht Senior Member
    Retired Staff Member

Prophet

Same, I don't use linux at all anymore.

I've got Ubuntu as a virtual machine and thats about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Leary
    Think for yourself. Question authority.
    420forwyfetho

Retired Staff Member

Celestial Entity

I see linux more as a tool, than a replacement OS for me.

Shadder, I'd put you to shame by responding directly to all the ignorance contained in your post, but you're not worth my time as it'd be pointless cuz you'd learn nothing. Grow the **** up.
    "A Responsible Citizen Not Only Shares Culture, But Destroys The Copyright Industries"

"Elegance is not a dispensable luxury but a quality that decides between success and failure. "
    "It Don't Mean a Thing (If It Ain't Got That Swing)"
    ďAbsence of evidence is not evidence of absence.Ē

Quote Originally Posted by Pinnah View Post
    I see linux more as a tool, than a replacement OS for me.

Shadder, I'd put you to shame by responding directly to all the ignorance contained in your post, but you're not worth my time as it'd be pointless cuz you'd learn nothing. Grow the **** up.
    If I were to say you're overly presumptuous would you learn anything? =o

And as for Linux I honestly don't see the point in loading it when windows has everything that I need. The only applicable use I see it having for the people I talk to is so that they can sound more familiar with computers/uber. I'm sure I could do some research on the matter and realize that it has a tool or two that I'd like to use, but by the time that happened I could have written another entire myspace survey. Priorities, priorities...
    Don't mess with my wiggle.

ZyZ (11:05:48 PM): I'm
    ZyZ (11:05:49 PM): ****ing
    ZyZ (11:05:49 PM): bi

Gold Member

High Priest

I don't personally use linux, but I plan to once I get my own computer. My main reason is because I love tweaking things around and I hope to one day be able to customize my computer exactly the way I want it. This is what linux is perfect for. Everything is open source - if you don't like something, then change it!

Enlightened

Quote Originally Posted by YonderKnight View Post
    I don't personally use linux, but I plan to once I get my own computer. My main reason is because I love tweaking things around and I hope to one day be able to customize my computer exactly the way I want it. This is what linux is perfect for. Everything is open source - if you don't like something, then change it!
    Careful, you can **** an entire install doing that. Especially when it comes time to auto-kernel patch.
    For the love of all things nerdrage: it's saren, not Saren.
    All you have to do is copy and paste the moniker.

A zero-your personal hero Senior Member
    Gold Member

Blessed

Where does this stupidity come from?
    You can always virtualize a Windows on Linux and vice versa, if you miss some features.
    And even if you don't like either of those, just because some things aren't supported, nobody forces you to use it.

The Friendly Ghozt. Gold Member

Crusader

I'd use linux because my "Why Windows XP sucks" list is bigger.

Enlightened

Quote Originally Posted by XGhozt View Post
    I'd use linux because my "Why Windows XP sucks" list is bigger.
    Buh? I'd like to see this list. Win XP is a pretty damn solid OS. Even MS haters know that.
    For the love of all things nerdrage: it's saren, not Saren.
    All you have to do is copy and paste the moniker.

The Friendly Ghozt. Gold Member

Crusader

Quote Originally Posted by saren View Post
    Buh? I'd like to see this list. Win XP is a pretty damn solid OS. Even MS haters know that.

Well, would you look at that.
    The tides are turning!

Retired Staff Member

Celestial Entity

Learn how to ****ing google, holy **** you're so ****ing dumb.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "A Responsible Citizen Not Only Shares Culture, But Destroys The Copyright Industries"

"Elegance is not a dispensable luxury but a quality that decides between success and failure. "
    "It Don't Mean a Thing (If It Ain't Got That Swing)"
    ďAbsence of evidence is not evidence of absence.Ē

Thread Information