Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 39

Thread: Good Linux Distro?

Gold Member

High Priest

Default Good Linux Distro?

I recently installed ubuntu linux on my comp since everyone recommended it and stuff. I was getting used to everything, installed fluxbox, customized everything around, but I noticed it ran slow as hell. I posted on ubuntuforums.org and they said it's probably because I only have 256mb of ram.

So, does anybody know of another distro that doesnt' require so much RAM, but is still pretty user-friendly? Do most distros have a packaging system like APT, or do you have to compile from source for other distros?

My system specs are:
    1.8ghz Pentium 4 processor,
    256mb RAM
    nvidia geForce2 graphics card

I'd like a distro which runs as fast or faster than windows XP does, and supports a lot of popular software, and has an easy way to install new software.

Oh, and I don't want something like linspire or stuff made for windows users; the reason I want to switch to linux is to learn everything about it and eventually be a linux pro (I like the idea of being able to customize everything), not just to use it to check emails and stuff.

Thanks!

A zero-your personal hero Senior Member
    Gold Member

Blessed

First two distros that come to my mind, when said 'speed' are Slackware and Damn Small. You should also try to install (compile, that is) Gentoo on your box and I'd prolly recommend it for you.

Srs Bsns Gold Member

High Priest

go with slackware, its the best distro you can get IMO, its what i use.
    http://www.slackware.com/getslack/
    Originally Posted by Pcreme
    my best stoner moment would have to be the time me and my friend were walking from my dealers house, and we see my other friends, who are all ecstasy fiends, driving their volkswagen van 60 MPH THROUGH A PARKING LOT , BUMPING TECHNO HELLA ****ING LOUD, an then they try and take a sharp turn and the van TIPS over cause theres too many people in the car. noone was hurt but it was EPIC FAIL.

Deviant

Well, there are many lightweight applications you can use in ubuntu, none really pop into my head except SwiftWeasel for web browsing, and fluxbox. But Ubuntu isn't really resource heavy it runs quit fast on my machine, and I only have 512mb of RAM.

Blessed

Linux sux thats why :o
    BD-ICY
    Seems that way.
    > Successfully injected Heroin.dll <
    Found my old account.

ston3rpimp69: my mother told me id have my own personal ball-washer some day. im glad all that hard work paid off.

Gold Member

High Priest

Quote Originally Posted by *eXpliCiT. View Post
    Well, there are many lightweight applications you can use in ubuntu, none really pop into my head except SwiftWeasel for web browsing, and fluxbox. But Ubuntu isn't really resource heavy it runs quit fast on my machine, and I only have 512mb of RAM.
    Well, firefox runs really fast in WinXP, but runs slow as hell on the same machine in linux. Therefore ubuntu linux runs slower on my machine than WinXP does, which is why I'm looking for a faster distro =p.

And I only have 256mb RAM =(.

Hrm, I'll check slackware out, Xthar, thanks.

Anybody know if Fedora Core is any good? Seems pretty popular. Also Red Hat, but I've heard from a couple people that's evil...

DSG keeps recommending Mandriva, but something that's not free doesn't seem very linux-y =\.

Thanks guys!

EDIT:
    Oh, does anyone know if Debian runs faster than Ubuntu? I figure they'd be about the same since Ubuntu is based off Debian.
    Last edited by YonderKnight : 07-06-2007 at 06:06 PM

Veritas Senior Member
    Gold Member

Crusader

Zenwalk is a good noobfriendly distro of Slackware.
    Quote Originally Posted by EyeOfFire, on why he can't post a pic of his infractions View Post
    I can't post mine, because my entire cp page is stretched due to that massive picture Mad posted in a negrep.

Srs Bsns Gold Member

High Priest

Debian is prolly a bit faster, its more advanced i know that. But i never used it, so i cant tell you for sure. But if i was to put money on it, i would put it on Debian.
    my best stoner moment would have to be the time me and my friend were walking from my dealers house, and we see my other friends, who are all ecstasy fiends, driving their volkswagen van 60 MPH THROUGH A PARKING LOT , BUMPING TECHNO HELLA ****ING LOUD, an then they try and take a sharp turn and the van TIPS over cause theres too many people in the car. noone was hurt but it was EPIC FAIL.

Deviant

Quote Originally Posted by YonderKnight View Post
    Well, firefox runs really fast in WinXP, but runs slow as hell on the same machine in linux. Therefore ubuntu linux runs slower on my machine than WinXP does, which is why I'm looking for a faster distro =p.
    Your not running it from the live CD still are you? Because that would be the reason for the slowness. I can't imagine why firefox would run slow on a fresh install of Ubuntu, maybe you should try to install it again.

Enlightened

Debian is the most bloated version of linux (and most robust) you can get.

Don't get slackware, that's made for servers and is very unfriendly.

Ubuntu is just stripped down RHE 4. So I'd suggest going with Mandrake 7 or (if you feel lucky) SuSe.

Other than that, good ol' RH is your way to go if you aren't a guru.

My best recommendation though for operating systems for a system is windows xp currently. I just got vista on my laptop (home premium, which is ****ty and will format over with xp pro till I get a few copies of ultimate) and I wish to god I could have had them put on xp pro.

I hate **** that looks like a mac. That's why I don't buy a mac. I don't want a mac.
    For the love of all things nerdrage: it's saren, not Saren.
    All you have to do is copy and paste the moniker.

Srs Bsns Gold Member

High Priest

i wouldent recommend mandrake. Open SusE might work. But i would still go for Slackware over all.

Enlightened

You're overlooking the fact that slackware is like debian without the support. It's very intimidating to a user, especially since it comes with a ton of server-oriented default options.
    For the love of all things nerdrage: it's saren, not Saren.
    All you have to do is copy and paste the moniker.

A zero-your personal hero Senior Member
    Gold Member

Blessed

I'd still suggest Gentoo. The main reason is because it actually compiles on your system, so it's almost guaranteed it'll run stable. I think it's a perfect distro for a start, but it's also a time consuming distro, which makes it a good to learn one.

Srs Bsns Gold Member

High Priest

its also sluggish

Gold Member

High Priest

Thanks everyone.

I kind of want something convenient, but not too noobish. I think I might take a look at slackware and if that's too complicated i guess I'll stick with Debian and hope it runs faster than Ubuntu. Maybe I'll also take a look at RedHat too.

Srs Bsns Gold Member

High Priest

RedHat is not really a good choice, Thats is used like 90% for servers lol.

Gold Member

Inquisitor

Quote Originally Posted by saren View Post
    Debian is the most bloated version of linux (and most robust) you can get.

Don't get slackware, that's made for servers and is very unfriendly.

Ubuntu is just stripped down RHE 4. So I'd suggest going with Mandrake 7 or (if you feel lucky) SuSe.

Other than that, good ol' RH is your way to go if you aren't a guru.

My best recommendation though for operating systems for a system is windows xp currently. I just got vista on my laptop (home premium, which is ****ty and will format over with xp pro till I get a few copies of ultimate) and I wish to god I could have had them put on xp pro.

I hate **** that looks like a mac. That's why I don't buy a mac. I don't want a mac.
    I use linux, and support this post completely.

Quote Originally Posted by saren View Post
    Ubuntu is based of Debian Unstable and pulls the latest packages from time to time and updates some.

Gold Member

High Priest

Wtf, the default slackware installation is like 4.5GB. I was expecting something a lot more "lite".

I'm going to try out Mandriva then. Does anybody know how the free version is? I don't feel like pirating the commercial version =p. It's a crime against humanity to pirate a version of linux... e.e.

Deviant

Get Gentoo dogg.

Thread Information