Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Showing results 41 to 44 of 44

Thread: Change IP For Bnet IPBanned

A zero-your personal hero Senior Member
    Gold Member

Blessed

Quote Originally Posted by James_P View Post
    most ISP's give out a Single IP address per Modem to keep it organized with no possibilities for conflictions. Im sure with unpopulated ISP's they give out dynamic IP's . But for major ISP's (Brighthouse comcast Cablevision etc) only assign a single IP for each mac address connected to their networks (technically it still is dynamic but it never changes unless the mac address changes). I am sure however if you do leave your internet connection disconnected for long enough, your ISP will give your IP address to another mac address and you will receive a new one, but im talking about quite some time.
    I think you're missing a point there. The point is ALL network devices (modems, routers, switches, what not) have MAC addresses, so modems have a MAC address as well.

Now, the modem connects to the ISP's DHCP and acquires a LAN IP address and sends your network card's MAC, then it disconnects in order to mediate between your network card and the ISP's DHCP, so you'll then get an external IP address assigned to your network card.

Bottom line is, whether it's a static or dynamic IP, your ISP can keep track of you, by using your modem's MAC address, so they can keep it organised by MACs.

how is that the point? the point is, if you change your routers MAC address your IP will change. Don't believe me? Try it.

A zero-your personal hero Senior Member
    Gold Member

Blessed

Quote Originally Posted by James_P View Post
    how is that the point? the point is, if you change your routers MAC address your IP will change. Don't believe me? Try it.
    That's what I kinda suggested in the first post.

Point is, you connect your router to a modem, which has it's own MAC, through which your ISP can track you, unless you manage to change it.
    So it's no difference, if they assign you a dynamic or static IP, as long as you have the same modem MAC address.

Edit:
    Almost forgot about routers with built-in modems. Of course, if you change your ADSL router's MAC address, you get a new IP and there's propably no way your provider can track you. But that's in case of routers with built-in modems.
    Last edited by Indefinite : 07-11-2007 at 06:33 AM

Golden Boy Gold Member

Disciple

Dynamic IP, reboot your router, win.

Thread Information