Bee Double You Hacks Senior Member
    Retired Staff Member

Enlightened

Default [How-To]RetroGRP - Converting GRP files

Utility: RetroGRP
    Required files: None
    Created by: Jeremy Bake
    Written by: Trans_Am77

RetroGRP is the program for all of your graphical modding needs! It is very simple to use but has a few minor bugs that cripples it's credibility. But if you make sure everything is entered correctly everything should do just fine.

Step 1: What can it do?
    With RetroGRP you can convert .grp files (the file SC uses for units, buildings, terrain, etc.) to .bmp files for easy modding. You can also convert those files back in to .grp format so SC can use them.

Step 2.1: Getting the .grp file...
    To get the .grp file you must first have a copy of WinMPQ. 1. Open WinMPQ and open the .mpq archive that the unit that you wish to mod is in (SC unit = Stardat.mpq / BW unit = Broodat.mpq).

1. Once you have the .mpq archive open, scroll down and find 'unit'. Now if your unit is terran, look for 'unit/terran', if protoss 'unit/protoss', and if zerg 'unit/zerg'. When you find your unit, click on it so that it is highlighted and click 'extract'.

2. When you click 'extract', if will ask you for a place to save it too. I usually just stick it on the desktop for the time being. When you have selected a spot for the file go to that spot and there should a folder labeled 'unit'. then open that and it should say 'terran' or 'protoss' or 'zerg'. Once you have confirmed that the file has been created, open up RetroGRP. If RetroGRP gives you an error, just click ok and it should keep going. When it has opened, click 'load external file' and locate the directory where you saved it too. Now go to the directory where you saved it to (or anywhere that you can make a new folder) and create a new folder with the name of the unit you chose to mod. Then go back to RetroGRP and click 'Set Output Directory' and select the folder you just made. Now click 'Write out BMPs' and when the new form opens up, select 'All images'. Now your unit is ready for modding!

Step 2.2: Creating a .grp file and how to make it in to a .mpq archive...
    1. Open RetroGRP and click 'compile GRP'.

2. Select the .ral file that RetroGRP created when you extracted the original .grp

3. When it is all done, open WinMPQ and click 'new'. When the browser opens up, save it anywhere you like. Now drag the .grp file we created to the WinMPQ window. When the new form opens, type in 'unit\<Race Name>\'.

NOTE: The image shown has an error, 'unit/terran' should be 'unit\terran\'

4. Once that is done rename the file from (example) 'x_medic' to 'medic'.

5. When that is all done, close WinMPQ and load it in to SC with MPQDraft and test!

Questions? Comment? Post them!
    Last edited by Zaund : 06-04-2007 at 03:47 PM

Default Graphics in mod stuffed up

Hi Nitto

Great tutorial, I followed the process all the way through for patch 1.15 and the process ran smoothly. I made a graphics mod to the overlords, however when I run SC the overlord mod doesn't work. Instead of Dr Phil's shining cranium (see avatar) stuck on top of the overlords it's just a bunch of random coloured pixels with 3 shadows under each overlord. Any ideas?

Thanks

Seraphim

PS What process would I need to do to change the audio as well?

Amat Victoria Curam Senior Member
    Gold Member

Saint

for your overlord problem did you happen to keep the ovie a magenta color or did you color it in because if you colored it that is your problem there

Suffering becomes beautiful when anyone bears great calamities with cheerfulness, not through insensibility but through greatness of mind.

-Aristotle

Bee Double You Hacks Senior Member
    Retired Staff Member

Enlightened

Sinz you make me so proud

Gold Member

Saint

lol I learned that when I was trying to mod the interface that if you color it it does random colors but I think I may have found a way to remove it completely
    but I can also not run mods which is the modding help I needed

Suffering becomes beautiful when anyone bears great calamities with cheerfulness, not through insensibility but through greatness of mind.

-Aristotle

Hey thanks for the reply, I didn't change the magenta colour of the overlord, just pasted the pic of the head on top of the overlord as can be seen in my avatar pic. Nothing else is changed, the bmp file is in the same specification as when it was extracted. I take it from other posts that I've read that I won't be able to use this on battle.net due to the patch variation, is this correct. Also the audio, can I change that too?

Thanks for your help

Seraphim

Gold Member

Saint

yes you can use a visual mod on bnet (see tran's nuke mod) and when did you keep the .bmps the same name and when you re saved them were the indexed?
    and yes the audio can be changed just the same as the visual just be sure when you drop the audio onto winmpq its the same name as its default counterpart and that you set it to the right folder

-Aristotle

I do believe you were supposed to use a specific .PAL for graphics editing, or is there some sort of patch that I could download where I don't have to use a specific .PAL?
    MARIO_OWNED_YOU

:silence:

Heretic

Firstly, sorry if you guys don't like 'thread necro-ing,' but this thread is still located on the first page of the tutorials board, so I figured it would be alright.

Zaund (or anyone else who knows the answer to my question),

RetroGRP took the .RAL file that it created and immediately started the converting process (which has been running for about a half hour without finishing). How is it supposed to know to compile the right .bmps (i.e. the ones I edited) to the .grp? Is that dependent on where the .RAL file is at the time?

Thanks in advance.
    My Music

"Sometimes you have to burn everything down, so you can have nothing at all."
    -Back in Crack, GWAR

Thread Information