Showing results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: How do I change my IP address?

Deviant

Default How do I change my IP address?

Ive gotten an ipban from bnet and I need to change my IP address but I dont know how to do it. please help!

Zealot
    Undesirable Lusophone Country - South America

Reconnect, if you have dynamic IP.

My signature owns.
    Code:

*remember to +rep me 1 time per day
    __________________________________________________ ____________________________
    Last edited by dt : Today at 7:69 PM.

Deviant

I tried unplugging my router and all that but im still ip banned

Funtastic Rainbow Squad Senior Member
    Retired Staff Member

Crusader

You most likely have a static IP address, which cant be changed.

Are you sure they didnt just ban your CD-Key?
    "Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
    -Plato

Need medical advice?
    Send me your inquiries through PM or on AIM.

Deviant

I wasnt online when i got ipbanned only a few bots were

Wait half an hour then try again.
    “In view of the fact that God limited the intelligence of man, it seems unfair that He did not also limit his stupidity.”
    -Konrad Adenauer

There is a thread for this topic which i already posted how to change your IP address given to you by your ISP.

All your ISP does is give out an IP address to every MAC Address, so no matter how many times you restart your router the MAC address will not change. You need to "spoof" a new MAC Address, which most routers have that option.

"Its better to be quiet and appear stupid, then to open your mouth and remove all doubt."

Amat Victoria Curam Senior Member
    Gold Member

Saint

Source
    Quote Originally Posted by Volkov
    One of the most common questions and complaints I get about cable broadband is that your IP address will not change. You were banned from your favorite gaming server server, a hacker keeps DoSing your system, or you just got +b'd for being a prick in IRC.

Whatever the reason (lets hope its the 2nd one), you might want to know that it is possible to change your IP. It is a bit trickier than just resetting your router or computer with DSL, but possible nonetheless.

First, lets learn a little bit about DHCP (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol). Basically, what your router uses that assigns IP addresses automatically. It can also do other things, but right now we are concentrating on IP assignment. Your ISP has the same thing, only on a much wider scale.

The way DHCP assigns IPs, is it looks at the range of IPs it can assign, and then it looks at your MAC (Media Access Controller) address. The MAC address is also known as the physical address. It is basically how different equipment knows it is different from other equipment similar. DHCP looks at the MAC address and says, "Hmm...this router/computer is unique, I will assign it a unique IP." This IP is specific to that MAC address. If you changed your MAC address, your DHCP would change your IP, but if you set it back to what it was, your IP would go back to the original.

So, you may have figured out that to change your IP, you need to change your MAC address. Keep in mind, ISPs with static IP addresses don't exactly love you changing your IP. If you really don't want to take the small risk, don't do it.

So how do you change your MAC address? It is rather simple, actually. First, here is what you need to change.

A MAC address is made up of six octets (xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx). The octets of a MAC address each contain a hexidecimal number, so the available characters to use are (0-9) and (A-F). The first three octets are the Organizational Unique Identifier (OUI). This is basicically what the manufacturer uses to identify who made the product. You can use this to look up the first three octets and see who made the product. The last three octets are completely up to the manufacturer to assign.

A trick your ISP may use, is it make sure the first 3 octets are real, and available to use with the service. So do not change those. What you want to change is something in the last 3 octets.

Basically, go into your router configuration and change something about the last 3 octets. If your MAC address is 00:A0:40:3F:00:B4, you might want to make it 00:A0:40:3F:01:B4 . If you don't have a router, changing or spoofing the MAC address of your computer is also possible. You may be able to just change it, by going into your network adapter's properties in the device manager, and clicking the advanced tab. It could be under Network Address, MAC Address, Ethernet Address, etc. If there is no option here to change it, fear not, you can still spoof it with SMAC.

Now, you need to just simply reset your modem for this to take effect. If you find it does not work, change another digit of your MAC address. Your ISP will obviously not like it if two systems on its network have the same MAC address, thus having the same IP. So there is a very small chance you might have just changed your MAC address to someone elses. If it still doesn't work, your ISP may have put protective measures on your equipment to make sure the original MAC address would be the only one that can work on it. In this case, you should call your ISP and inform them that you have gotten a "new" router, and give them the MAC address so they can add it into the system.

Presto.

next time :google: might help

Suffering becomes beautiful when anyone bears great calamities with cheerfulness, not through insensibility but through greatness of mind.

-Aristotle

I was searching for the post, thats the exact article i was refering to last time when this came up.GJ

"Its better to be quiet and appear stupid, then to open your mouth and remove all doubt."

Gold Member

High Priest

I have a question. Doesn't your iSP assign IPs based on the Mac address of your cable/DSL modem, not your router?

Or do most people have routers with built-in modems?

mov esi, 0x0539 Senior Member
    Retired Staff Member

Saint

Most ISPs don't assign static IP addresses, so it's always possible to reset your IP address. If you have a router that doesn't have this option, unplug it and connect your computer directly to the internet.

1. Go to Start > Run.

2. Type cmd.

3. Type ipconfig /release

4. Type ipconfig /renew

Retired Staff Member

Celestial Entity

joo forgot flushdns
    "A Responsible Citizen Not Only Shares Culture, But Destroys The Copyright Industries"

"Elegance is not a dispensable luxury but a quality that decides between success and failure. "
    "It Don't Mean a Thing (If It Ain't Got That Swing)"
    “Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.”

Quote Originally Posted by Perma View Post
    Most ISPs don't assign static IP addresses, so it's always possible to reset your IP address. If you have a router that doesn't have this option, unplug it and connect your computer directly to the internet.

1. Go to Start > Run.

2. Type cmd.

3. Type ipconfig /release

4. Type ipconfig /renew
    You are incorrect. If you are talking about Dialup/DSL, you are right. However, with Cable most ISP's give a static IP address to their Customers based off their MAC address of not the Modem, but the Network Card being used (or Router).
    Therefore, as the problem stated in this thread he could not reset the router/modem and change the IP address. This is because of the static IP given to him by his ISP. Restarting a router/modem will not change this due to the MAC address never changing.

I hope this makes the issue more clear to you.

Edit: However by switching from the Router to the computer as you suggest Will indeed change the IP address due to a new MAC address being given to them from your Network Card. but once you connect the router back up it will revert back to the original IP already reserved for that specific MAC address.

Gold Member

High Priest

Hrmm, I'm pretty sure I changed my router a couple of times without having to contact my ISP to change it. My ISP is earthlink, maybe they assign IPs based on the MAC address of the modem, not the router.

I wonder if I could change the MAC of my modem somehow.

Retired Staff Member

Saint

Quote Originally Posted by bilago View Post
    You are incorrect. If you are talking about Dialup/DSL, you are right. However, with Cable most ISP's give a static IP address to their Customers based off their MAC address of not the Modem, but the Network Card being used (or Router).
    Therefore, as the problem stated in this thread he could not reset the router/modem and change the IP address. This is because of the static IP given to him by his ISP. Restarting a router/modem will not change this due to the MAC address never changing.

I hope this makes the issue more clear to you.

Edit: However by switching from the Router to the computer as you suggest Will indeed change the IP address due to a new MAC address being given to them from your Network Card. but once you connect the router back up it will revert back to the original IP already reserved for that specific MAC address.
    No, it will not. The ipconfig /release command releases the assigned IP address, which means you will never revert back to the original. I have used a cable internet service for three years and even the technical support office suggests you do this.

In a normal cable environment, you will never be given a static IP address (unless specifically requested, as most ISPs offer such a service) because it just doesn't make sense to reserve an address to an individual machine. Released addresses will return to the address pool so that they can be used on another machine. You're confused because a cable modem is continually connected to the service and does not need to re-request an address from the DHCP service. Thus, it gives the impression that your address never changes. You can force another address to be assigned by releasing the current one.

The reason you connect directly to the internet first to do this, rather than through a router, has nothing to do with changing MAC addresses. Most routers also act as a DHCP server, so unless you are connected to the internet directly, your router will assign you a new internal address rather than your ISP.

Quote Originally Posted by Perma View Post
    No, it will not. The ipconfig /release command releases the assigned IP address, which means you will never revert back to the original. I have used a cable internet service for three years and even the technical support office suggests you do this.

In a normal cable environment, you will never be given a static IP address (unless specifically requested, as most ISPs offer such a service) because it just doesn't make sense to reserve an address to an individual machine. Released addresses will return to the address pool so that they can be used on another machine. You're confused because a cable modem is continually connected to the service and does not need to re-request an address from the DHCP service. Thus, it gives the impression that your address never changes. You can force another address to be assigned by releasing the current one.

The reason you connect directly to the internet first to do this, rather than through a router, has nothing to do with changing MAC addresses. Most routers also act as a DHCP server, so unless you are connected to the internet directly, your router will assign you a new internal address rather than your ISP.
    Id rather not argue with you, however you are wrong. also, you misunderstood me. Lets say your computers NIC has a MAC of 62.23.a2.bd.ae (not real just an example) and your router has a MAC of 36.de.af.22.3e and you switch from using your router to connect to the internet to your computer directly connecting, your IP address will change due to it detecting a different MAC address.

I can restart my modem ipconfig /release all day and all night and it will never change. I changed one value in my mac address and instantly i had a new IP address once i restarted the modem.

Retired Staff Member

Saint

Well, I've done it at least three times in the last few months. So, alright then.

Legendary Gold Member

Evangelist

If you have a proxy and firefox it is pretty simple to change your IP. But like people have said, wait a little bit and try again. They never ban by IP, only cd-keys. You do get a temp ban if you are flooding or trying to log in to anothers account alot of times. Wait it out

Thread Information