Showing results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: DVD+r vs DVD-r

Deviant

Default DVD+r vs DVD-r

hello, my DVD player supports both DVD-r and DVD+r, and I have a movie of mine that I would like to make a copy of. Should I buy blank DVDs for DVD+r or DVD-r?

I would like to play these DVDs on my home DVD player ( i.e not my computer ) so I am not sure what my DVD player supports.

Also, what sizes are most DVDs? The DVD of mine is 156 minutes, should I be able to copy the entire DVD on it?
    Oh Shit! This is my sig

Reality: an illusion due to lack of alcohol
    Evangelist

they're both the EXACT same thing

dvd+r = dvd-r

Gold Member

Inquisitor

lol. No they aren't. One makes your dvd played grow legs and rape childern. The other plays dvds. Which one is which? I will never divuldge the secret.

Deviant

I don't think so because there is a difference in the price of DVDs and if they were the exact same thing, than why would some DVD players have DVD-r and some DVD players have DVD+r. My DVD player has both.

DVD+r has one form of encyrption and DVD-r has another form. But they are definately not the same.
    Oh Shit! This is my sig

Music & Movies Senior Member

Saint

This has been made (and answered) before, I'm looking for it.
    Better contraceptives will control population only if people will use them. A nuclear holocaust can be prevented only if the conditions under which nations make war can be changed. The environment will continue to deteriorate until pollution practices are abandoned. We need to make vast changes in human behavior.
    -- B.F. Skinner

Gold Member

Inquisitor

If you want to record a larger amount of data or are really picky about detail, then use +r. But generally it doesn't make a difference. I think +r costs more. It's up to you if you want to spend the extra tiny bit of money on it. It also depends on the company that made the dvd. Something like Sony has better scratch resistance than one of the ****ty brands

ZOMG 1000th post!!!
    Last edited by ScAreCroW : 09-17-2006 at 02:06 PM

Saint

Couldn't find that thread, so I just searched a little.
    DVD-R is not the same as DVD+R. Another good source is http://www.cdfreaks.com/article/113.

From what little I read, DVD+R has a better sound quality due to the way it's recorded (the tracking, addresses, and speeds), and DVD+R was also used to make the dual layer (8.5gb) DVD's.

Feel free to correct and/or to add to this, I'm sure it'd be appreciated.
    Better contraceptives will control population only if people will use them. A nuclear holocaust can be prevented only if the conditions under which nations make war can be changed. The environment will continue to deteriorate until pollution practices are abandoned. We need to make vast changes in human behavior.
    -- B.F. Skinner

xie xie ning Senior Member

Inquisitor

I believe DVD-R is more common.

Saint

Ya, I read in one of those articles that DVD-R was the first, and is the only 'official' DVD format.

"Since the DVD+R format is a competing format to the DVD-R format, which is developed by the DVD Forum, it has not been approved by the DVD Forum, which claims that the DVD+R format is not an official DVD format."
    -- B.F. Skinner

Deviant

so i am actually hoping that my DVD player will be able to play the DVDs. Which format is my DVD player most likely to work with? Its some RCA dvd player if that helps. Its only about 2 years old.
    Oh Shit! This is my sig

Saint

From what I've read most DVD players can play both, but DVD-R is the only 'official' format, so I guess that's your safest bet.
    -- B.F. Skinner

Gold Member

Inquisitor

The ultimate finder of things ^

You're all idiots. Retired Staff Member

Inquisitor

Go Redrum, lol.
    whats up friends

Saint

Topic has been resolved.
    -- B.F. Skinner

Thread Information