Showing results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Drugs and other intoxicating substances.

hardhittnnigazwtpipznsht Senior Member
    Retired Staff Member

Prophet

Default Drugs and other intoxicating substances.

Many people view using drugs recreationally as a very negative thing. I don't thnk so. Many people who say getting intoxicated for fun is a bad thing are also drinkers of alcohol. I find this a huge hipocrisy due to the fact that alcohol in many cases is way more dangerous than various recreational drugs.

I am personally against drugs that are physically addictive and do permanent body damage after continued use. But many drugs that are mentally addictive aren't any more addictive than playing video games, posting things on the internet, or even certain foods. All of these things are mentally addictive and usually don't have any adverse affects from withdrawl. Things like cocaine, ecstasy, methamphetamines, and speed can hurt you after extended use or in some cases kill you on the first try. If I remember correctly, they are all addictive too. I wouldn't approve of using any of these often if at all.

I get intoxicated for fun from time to time when I don't have anything important to do for a day or two. I never do anything on a school day or on a day where I am going out somewhere.

The thing is, people see recreational drugs negatively. A thing that hurts people and only causes pain. The truth is, it can do some of that if you let it get out of hand, but as long as you know what you're doing and teach yourself to do it in moderation we can all be okay. I think they should lessen the jail time for drugs and legalize a few currently illegal drugs (like cannabis) and tax those drugs.

What do you guys think about drugs? Do you disagree with me? Let's have a debate.

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Leary
    Think for yourself. Question authority.
    420forwyfetho

There's too much blood in my caffeine system
    Crusader

Hmm, you already know my views on the topic BB. For some reason I see alcohol differently to drugs - no matter the adverse effects. Perhaps it's just because alcohol is so much more socially accepted than drugs... I don't know. All I know is that I have it in my mindset that drugs are bad, and that I'm never, ever taking them. If there's no chance for risk then there's no danger.

Retired Staff Member

Prophet

I believe alcohol can be considered a drug. Not to mention that it shares many side effects of drugs.

So, just because your teachers told you "Drugs are bad, mmmmmkay" when you were a kid, you are going to steer far clear of them? What about prescription drugs? Some of those can be just as dangerous.

Why do you risk it with alcohol if you refuse to with anything else?

420forwyfetho

Retired Staff Member

Saint

Quote Originally Posted by BloodyBlade
    I believe alcohol can be considered a drug. Not to mention that it shares many side effects of drugs.
    Drugs are not a matter for consideration, they are any substance that modifies chemical processes within the human body. Alcohol is most certainly a drug.
    NEWS YOU CAN USE. IF YOU CHOOSE NOT TO USE THIS NEWS YOU WILL BE KILLED.

Crusader

Of course alcohol is a drug - only it is a deppressant instead of a stimulant, unlike most substances we would normally call drugs. Depressants are really a misleading name for the effects of alcohol however - the only thing alcohol does is numb and relax your body, resulting in slower reaction times, slower and infinately stranger thinking processes etc. It also is generally believed that it heightens the emotion you are feeling at the time - ie: people who drink at a party get happy as a result of the atmosphere and their friends, people who drink alone to solve their problems are sad and depressed. These are all the side effects, aside from drinking a huge quantity of acohol and simply killing yourself because your body can't handle it. Marijuana is also a depressant drug. It differs from alcohol in that it offers a much greater and much more different high, but in terms of risk, they are virtually the same. If you think about it, weed is a lot more accepted in society than things like cocaine. This is the reasoning.

Conventional drugs are different. As stimulants, they have a chance of killing you everytime you use them - regardless of an overdose or not. The first time people use them is often their last, as they are most vulnerable at this stage.

This is the difference between alcohol and other drugs, and it is also the reason as to why depressants are more socially acceptable - they are less dangerous. From this, I suppose you could say that marijuana is no different than alcohol. It still won't change my over zealous views that it's bad for you, however...

Retired Staff Member

Prophet

Why are you being so stubborn about marijuana? You have absolutely no reason to. Hell, you even admit that it is just as harmful as alcohol.

I think alcohol is more harmful. Ever heard of someone getting THC-poisoning? I think not. Strangely, I don't drink if much at all. So I can't safely compare the two, but I think you are more aware (causing less accidents) when you're high than when you're drunk off your arse.

Overall, they should legalize it (marijuana). It would do wonders for the snack businesses in America. If it were legalized and taxed (kind-of the same way they tax tobacco) it would benefit us much more than if it remained illegal. It would end up reducing jail population. Would anyone like to propose the negatives of legalizing it? Here, let me shoot one down:

I don't believe the bull**** about weed being a 'gateway' drug for one second. I've never had the urge to go to do coke or methamphetamines, as I think they aren't really worth the risk. Who's to say alcohol or even perscription drugs can't be gateway drugs?

I hope more people can give their opinions in this thread. Legalization of marijuana may be over-speculated or over-debated, but we need more active topics in the banana republic.

420forwyfetho

Crusader

I'm inclined to agree - and I actually have nothing against it being legallized. But really, stop trying to persuade me to smoke weed BB. That's peer pressure, and I'm never going to do it even tho I know the facts and I know it's not dangerous. I'm not doing it for a different reason.

Retired Staff Member

Prophet

Oh, I apologize if you thought I was pressuring you. I am not trying to persuade you to do anything, I am simply questioning you.

420forwyfetho

Crusader

You think my willpower is so weak that I give in to smoking weed on an online forum? Lol - no, I was just saying that I know all the facts and I know that it's next to harmless, just that i'm never going to do it because I don't thing it's right.

Is this loli?
    Enlightened

Don't even touch the hard stuff. Cocaine, heroine, and the like can do permanent damage.

Alcohol, if taken in moderation, is acceptable in my book. It's ok to get drunk occasionally, but when you start strolling in to class/work hung over, you have a problem and need help.

Crusader

Yeah I have nothing against alcohol. So long as it's social. Drinking on my own would probably make me all dramatized and make me commit suicide...

Thread Information