PDA

View Full Version : This forum

dt
11-05-2005, 04:14 AM
Do you really think a serious discussion forum needs to be private? How about a public serious discussion forum in the main category, but with very strict moderation. With llaf around, that shouldnt be a problem.

Training-Name
11-05-2005, 04:21 AM
Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Some of my friends on Battle.net want to put their views in this forum, but they're in a private forum, like Group Secks where it;s the one group only.

Otaku
11-05-2005, 10:30 AM
That would probably work ;)

hba
11-05-2005, 08:28 PM
Make it happen dt.

kds
11-06-2005, 07:43 AM
that sounds good.

Akazukin
11-06-2005, 08:08 AM
I object. (always in the oppose team)

If all users are interested to post serious topics, we will have lots of them on general chat already, but it doesnt happen. It doesnt make too much sense to have a serious section on a gaming forum, but if its a group forum to have political debates, then it makes sense. Now as ICG is a group, users can be removed if they spam too much, and users can prove that they are mature before they join and post. These 2 benefits will be no more if the forum was made public. I believe that although there will be more participation from the public, we can only expect many one-sentence replies like 'yeah i agree'. The public might not improve the quality at all, and there are risks of flames and spams. Downfall wont be online for 24 hours. When a serious thread was flooded with spams and flames, people will lost interest on that thread, thats the important key. Downfall will do his job , but who will still want to discuss anymore after reading the flames? In short, there are little advantages and much more disadvantages.

DA(
11-06-2005, 10:48 AM
No public please, we have enough dumbasses as is.

llafnwod
11-06-2005, 10:52 AM
It might work, but the moderation would have to be impossibly strict. I'm talking a month Mod Preview for an unrelated post strict.

hba
11-06-2005, 11:27 AM
Make me a Mod for the section then, I'll keep these drones in line.

Plus I'm around more often than anyone else.

Andover[yT]
11-06-2005, 03:11 PM
ok, I will agree , under the curcumstance of it being tightly moderated and that more intense rules be placed to insure protection.

I also request to Moderate it, since I am currently a mod of this group.

Also , Dont delete this group when that happens, so then we have somewere to fall back on if it by chance crashes and burns, and all the threads in this forums will need to be moved.

-Andover[yT]
ICG Moderation

magikmonky
11-06-2005, 03:20 PM
This is banana_sam speaking, I'm using magik's account to post this one message -- sorry if that offends anyone.

I fully back you dt, and I believe something like this should be a public section, similar to the new board for music and movies. As you may recall, I brought this up to you in a pm several months ago, to which you declined, but I believe that ICG has created sufficient interest for a board like this to survive on its own.

As long as we have llafnwod and an active section mod, spamming should not be a problem.

Andover[yT]
11-06-2005, 03:30 PM
Ive moved the "is Hitler Smart" Thread to General , this is a stress test to see how an established topic will do in the General Section.

this is designed to help DT and the other admins see how the reaction will be, if this works then im sure we will be able to create this as a public forum.

If it fails...... need I say more?

magikmonky
11-06-2005, 04:31 PM
I'm sorry, but moving a single thread into General Chat will ultimately prove nothing. First off, the topic itself is not highly debatable, and the thread will saturate itself soon. Secondly, a user feels more predisposed to discuss something intellectually in an area specifically for intellectual conversation. By moving it to General, you take away that incentive.

Andover, if you truly believe that intellectual discussion has a place on this forum, then you should sit back and congratulate yourself as it becomes its own section. This isn't about personal vendettas. It's about boosting intellectual interest -- and you have.

Please read the pm I sent you and accept me into this group, so that my following replies can be done on my own account.

Andover[yT]
11-06-2005, 04:36 PM
I'm sorry, but moving a single thread into General Chat will ultimately prove nothing. First off, the topic itself is not highly debatable, and the thread will saturate itself soon. Secondly, a user feels more predisposed to discuss something intellectually in an area specifically for intellectual conversation. By moving it to General, you take away that incentive.

Andover, if you truly believe that intellectual discussion has a place on this forum, then you should sit back and congratulate yourself as it becomes its own section. This isn't about personal vendettas. It's about boosting intellectual interest -- and you have.

Please read the pm I sent you and accept me into this group, so that my following replies can be done on my own account.

There was more reasoning behind the movement of that thread than just the "Stress-Test" , I can explain those in a PM if you would like. (It has to do with Certain Admins disagreeing with my judgement to close the thread)

Dont get me wrong , Im all for having a intellectual forum on the general and I am proud to see this happening, I assure you I have no "personal vandetta's" on this.

I have accepted you to the group, welcome -_-

-Andover[yT]
ICG Moderation

banana_sam
11-06-2005, 06:25 PM
Well if you have no qualms about it, why not graduate ICG to its own board?

llafnwod
11-06-2005, 07:55 PM
If it so happens that ICG becomes public, I'll create a usergroup that does not have access to it, in the event that a member's actions should merit banishment. That way, the status quo is allowing members to post there while still allowing for denial of access.

NAATYE
11-06-2005, 08:02 PM
We have tried to have serious discussions that were open to the status quo before, it failed miserably. Hell we already have a little spam in this forum even, with just the few members we have. I would have to strongly oppose moving this into general public. As it stands anybody can read, but only those who have been approved can post. With that said, there is quite a few members that are members of this, and it has a very open policy of who makes it and who doesn't.

So I will reiterate my opinion on this... HELL NO!

On a second note, maybe placing all unapproved members on mod preview in just this forum would be a more adequate solution. Thus making it semi-private.

llafnwod
11-06-2005, 08:09 PM
Again, moderation here would be extremely strict. Anyone so much as goes off topic, the absolute minimum is a two week ban from the group.

banana_sam
11-06-2005, 08:50 PM
Hm... well NAATYE does have a point. I have suspicions, however, that the current moderation of this sub-forum is too heavy on insignificant things, and too light on important ones.

NAATYE
11-07-2005, 04:49 AM
Again, moderation here would be extremely strict. Anyone so much as goes off topic, the absolute minimum is a two week ban from the group.
Seems like a lot of work for such insignificant gains, and such horrible potential possibilities.

banana_sam
11-07-2005, 07:45 AM
Stuff it. You are no more intellectually endowed than the rest of us. If you find ICG to be a waste of space, I'm going to ask you to please spare us your long, winded philosophy essays. We don't have to take this attitude from you.

ComradeSlavic
11-07-2005, 04:32 PM
the current moderation of this sub-forum is too heavy on insignificant things, and too light on important ones.

I am apparently a mod on this board, so if you have any specific problems or requests you can PM or just post here and tell me. Either way I'll take care of it.

howardmeis
11-08-2005, 06:42 PM
Sounds like it'd work. And it'd show the other people that are on the boards that I can be serious. But yea, moderation would have to be REALLy high. We're talkinga bout mod previews being given left and right, and prolly about 4 mods for it. so it might be best to just leave it as a private, and people who want in can come in. I think this is a kewler forum that allows you to be in different groups, since it's just a discussion board.

Andover[yT]
11-09-2005, 02:33 PM
Well , since this discussion seems to be quite important and relevent to this forum, I will sticky it.

-Stuck

-Andover[yT]
ICG Moderation

NAATYE
11-09-2005, 05:13 PM
Stuff it. You are no more intellectually endowed than the rest of us. If you find ICG to be a waste of space, I'm going to ask you to please spare us your long, winded philosophy essays. We don't have to take this attitude from you.
Care to share with the rest of us (including me) what seems to be pissing you off so much? Was it my comment about the gains being insignificant in moving this forum to the public area? Perhaps it was the fact that I stated it would be a lot of work to moderate it. I am really not sure where you are going with your comment. But I can assure you that unlike others in this forum, I am not a very nice person, and many have considered me a *******. Do not tempt me to with your silly little flames, as I am definitely not as fair as DT.

llafnwod
11-10-2005, 03:44 PM
Seems like a lot of work for such insignificant gains, and such horrible potential possibilities.It'd take a bit of work in the beginning, but the point would get across pretty quickly. The worst case scenario is that its moved back to being a private forum...

banana_sam
11-10-2005, 06:14 PM
Care to share with the rest of us (including me) what seems to be pissing you off so much? Was it my comment about the gains being insignificant in moving this forum to the public area? Perhaps it was the fact that I stated it would be a lot of work to moderate it. I am really not sure where you are going with your comment. But I can assure you that unlike others in this forum, I am not a very nice person, and many have considered me a *******. Do not tempt me to with your silly little flames, as I am definitely not as fair as DT.I found your comments in this and the religion thread arrogant and uncalled for. If you're so convinced that this forum is stupid, please don't waste your time writing winded speeches and then trying to rub it in our faces that we don't care enough to read and respond to it.

And honestly, what are you going to do to me? Ban me for a simple flame? You're all bark and no bite.
It'd take a bit of work in the beginning, but the point would get across pretty quickly. The worst case scenario is that its moved back to being a private forum...Now this is the positive attitude an administrator should take. Learn from it.