PDA

View Full Version : Ivy Bridge to be released

StarteR2
04-24-2012, 07:24 PM
As you know, the embargo on ivy bridge is lifted on the 29th of April. Guess who is picking up their custom made notebook on the 30th?

I will post the config of my new laptop tomorrow.

StarteR2
04-25-2012, 06:58 AM
Summary

Base (Clevo based)
Choose your LCD Display
5.6-inch (39.6cm); FHD 1920x1080; MATTE (Non-Glare); Backlight LED

System and Display
15.6-inch FHD 1920x1080; LED Backlit Display

Built-in Web Camera
2.0 Megapixels; FHD 1920x1080; 30fps; w/ Samsung HD controller

Biometric Fingerprint Device
Integrated Fingerprint Reader for Secure Data Access and Easy Management of Passwords

VGA Graphics Options - Choose the one that you need and/or want
2GB GDDR5 NVIDIA GTX 675M; 384 CUDA; 256-bit; GPU/VRAM Clock 620MHz/1500MHz; 598Gigaflops; N13E-GS1; Fermi (40nm) ; MXM 3.0b; 100W

GPU / Graphics Technology
Discrete GPU (dGPU) with NVIDIA Optimus Technology: Modular MXM 3.0b NVIDIA Graphics (dGPU) of your choice and Internal GPU (iGPU) Intel GMA HD4000 (650MHz-1250MHz) or HD3000 (SB)

Upgradeable Processor (CPU) with Diamond 24 Thermal Paste
2.60 GHz (up to 3.60) Intel Mobile Core i7-3720QM; 4C/8T; 6MB L3; 22nm Ivy-Bridge; uPGA988B; 45W; DDR3-1600

Memory (RAM) Configuration - Fully Upgradeable
12GB; 3x 4GB; DDR3-1333; PC-10600; CL-9; 204pin - 3 SODIMMs

1st Hard Drive
128 GB SSD G Skill

2nd Hard Drive Choose Regular, Solid State or Hybrid Drive:
750GB; SSHD; Seagate Momentus XT Hybrid ST750LX003; SATA-600; 7,200rpm; 8GB SLC NAND Flash

Wireless LAN
802.11b/g/n WLAN; Bigfoot Networks; Killer Wireless-N 1103

Thanks Deg for all your advice.

StarteR2
05-01-2012, 08:04 AM

In spite of the fact that the GPU is 675M, I was only able to get 30 fps when playing phantom SC2 ultra settings zoomed out maximum for highest resolution.

arcanise
05-01-2012, 04:02 PM
my comp does 60FPS or higher and never ever lower than 50FPS just get another 675 and youll be rockin also disable the intel graphics in the bios if that bios can

StarteR2
05-02-2012, 05:30 PM
my comp does 60FPS or higher and never ever lower than 50FPS just get another 675 and youll be rockin also disable the intel graphics in the bios if that bios can

It is a mobile card... 675M

I cant disable the damn optimus.

DSG
05-03-2012, 06:38 PM
Congrats on the new laptop! Sorry to hear you got one of the 'buggy' Optimus ones... Optimus blows chunks.

Ivy bridge is a disappointment IMHO, I am waiting for Haswell for cpu/mobo upgrade or even considering buying a new gaming laptop.

StarteR2
05-04-2012, 04:48 AM
Dude i paid an extra 150 for my ivy bridge and it rapes the desktop i7 2700k. How is that a dissapointment, its score is 93000 on passmark, and i cant complain, i bombed it with a massive map of units hearts of iron game and it just wouldnt lag:p

Mookster
05-04-2012, 11:39 AM
Trigate failed for Ivy, but it's still a good processor. Rather hot under load for a laptop; I'd probably feel more comfortable with Sandy overall since the performance is about the same. The 675m is a great laptop card though; amazing, really. Kepler's power consumption and thermals are stellar in contrast to it's performance. It's lack of compute power probably won't hinder you unless you're doing a few certain things.
My G73 with Bloomfield and Caymen runs crazy hot and there's already pretty bad degradation. If I were to choose now, I'd go Sandy and Kepler all the way.

Edit: Also, while Ivy nets 5% better performance in some applications and does so with better power consumption, it quickly hits the temperature wall when overclocking due to Trigate. All things considered, Sandy is a better performaner unless you're on extreme cooling.
I certainly wouldn't say Ivy (especially a laptop counterpart) rapes an i7 2700K. A 2550K, yes, but that's to be expected with the cache differences.

Sandman
05-04-2012, 12:55 PM
Is that 43 degrees idle temp? I don't know anything about laptop cooling but it doesn't seem like you'd have a lot of room for OC. My 2500k gets the same passmark score and is idling 7 degrees cooler right now.

StarteR2
05-04-2012, 03:18 PM
Trigate failed for Ivy, but it's still a good processor. Rather hot under load for a laptop; I'd probably feel more comfortable with Sandy overall since the performance is about the same. The 675m is a great laptop card though; amazing, really. Kepler's power consumption and thermals are stellar in contrast to it's performance. It's lack of compute power probably won't hinder you unless you're doing a few certain things.
My G73 with Bloomfield and Caymen runs crazy hot and there's already pretty bad degradation. If I were to choose now, I'd go Sandy and Kepler all the way.

Edit: Also, while Ivy nets 5% better performance in some applications and does so with better power consumption, it quickly hits the temperature wall when overclocking due to Trigate. All things considered, Sandy is a better performaner unless you're on extreme cooling.
I certainly wouldn't say Ivy (especially a laptop counterpart) rapes an i7 2700K. A 2550K, yes, but that's to be expected with the cache differences.

Look Mookster, I am not just going around saying random **** based on useless opinions, there are benchmarks that I base my opinion on. Ivy does not get 5% better performance, it gets 15-20% better performance. And yes, it does rape the i7-2700K. Here you go:
http://69.164.215.246/uploader/passmarkBench.png

The fact that the laptop counterpart is even close, not to mention above a high grade desktop CPU, is a win in my opinion. As for loads, a stress test reveals 67 oC the way mine is build, and indeed, I never hit 70, or 67 doing regular work (I do have a IC Diamon Thermal Compound, says so in my second post.)

@Sandman not that idle, it is with some programs running in background, here is an idea for a 45 C:
http://69.164.215.246/uploader/idle.png

A CPU Benchmark under these conditions gives about a 9200 score. I guess if I reboot and run it, i will get the 9600 everyone seems to get.

Mookster
05-07-2012, 07:22 PM
Well, you're right about Ivy not getting 5% better performance. Tom's did a diverse review and even averaged out the results from 17 real world/synthetic benches for you on this (http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ivy-bridge-benchmark-core-i7-3770k,3181-24.html) page.
Turns out, it's actually about 3.7% better, a margin which actually narrows clock per clock as you begin overclocking, and ends with Ivy not being able to reach the speeds of Sandy.

Not sure what benchmark you posted in that image but, it's clearly either fake or highly internalized and not reflective of real world, or even typical synthetic benchmark performance.
I'm not saying Ivy is terrible, I'm just saying I'd prefer Sandy for its better thermals and overclocking, let alone price.

It's completely to be expected that adding Trigate to Sandy's design would sacrifice heat distribution for efficiency. There's nothing terribly wrong with being on par with Sandy; for a laptop part it's by some margin an improvement. But, still, you should know that margin isn't 20%.

StarteR2
05-07-2012, 07:34 PM
are you retarded? no honestly? are you seriously ****ing retarded? fake? not reflective of the real world? ever type in "cpu benchmark" into google?

Without any OC, and only using the built in OC (called hyper threading btw) that both 3720QM and 2700K have, 3720QM rapes it. Overclocking has many disadvantages, look them up, hopefully you can google that.

Don't even bother replying... I can imagine what your real world looks like, and I want nothing to do with it.

Edit:

Here you go, this is what a benchmark should look like:

You know, since we are comparing CPUs here, maybe we should you know... compare CPU related tasks... not take a bunch of programs that are influenced by anything from hard drive, to ram and GPU, put it on two different systems and start talking ****.
If that article had any credibility at all, it would have mentioned hat the specs of the system being tested are. It would have had to have 2 identical systems with just the CPU being different. Better yet, it should have tested CPU related tasks, like I said.

zack
05-08-2012, 09:30 PM
Quote shortened.

... and only using the built in OC (called hyper threading btw) ...

you dumb ass

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyper-threading

StarteR2
05-09-2012, 02:37 AM
what are you pointing me to the link for? are you trying to say something there?.... i know what hyper threading is.

So what zack, you read the entire thing, saw that I am right, that mookster is an idiot, and since you like mookster and his genitals sooooo much, you decided that hey, why dont i find a tiny detail in starters post and bash it hard... maybe that will help mooster.

And here comes sinz, another cocck loving member, and joins the foursome. I can't wait to get banned from this piece of **** hole.

Hey Sinz, go fix him a coffee too, fegget

Sinz
05-09-2012, 07:37 AM
Please refrain from using my sexual preference against me. Also please keep all threads not in the flameboard on topic. kthnxbai

edit. also your a ****ing meatball Hyper-Threading is nothing like a OC.

StarteR2
05-09-2012, 08:23 AM
Please refrain from using my sexual preference against me. Also please keep all threads not in the flameboard on topic. kthnxbai

edit. also your a ****ing meatball Hyper-Threading is nothing like a OC.

Touched a nerve there sinzy? Truth hurts? Feel ashamed that the thought of other men makes you happy? Its alright, i am not against homosex people, just really retarded ones. That makes you a fegget, and fegottry is unacceptable! It is die to hyperthreading that turbo boost can take place. Why dont you stay on topic? This isnt about hyperthreading this is about a laptop ivy owning a highend desktop sandy. Oh thats right, you have to pick on details so that your fegget bf can let you blow him later. See, thats feggotry, learn it and stop it. Be gay, dont be a fegget.

Sinz
05-09-2012, 02:37 PM
Touched a nerve there sinzy? Truth hurts? Feel ashamed that the thought of other men makes you happy? Its alright, I am not against homosexual people, just really retarded ones. That makes you a faggot, and fagottry is unacceptable! It is die <-(I'm not even sure what you tried to say there) to hyper-threading that turbo boost can take place. Why don't you stay on topic? This isn't about hyper-threading this is about a laptop, ivy, owning a high end desktop sandy (like the beach?). Oh that's right, you have to pick on details so that your faggot bf can let you blow him later. See, that's faggotry, learn it and stop it. Be gay, don't be a faggot.

Firstly I'm not homosexual, I have an open feeling towards people and how they choose to express themselves be it sexually, Mentally or physically. I was on topic talking about hyper threading considering it was brought up in the posts before the childish flames started. Now please keep this on topic. Also please learn to spell before you make your next post.

Sandman
05-09-2012, 02:59 PM
****ING FAGGOT ASS **** HYPER THREADING **** ****** BOB SAGETThe "built in OC" is actually Turbo Boost.

Passmark is the only benchmark you want to acknowledge, and that's cool I guess, but that 'average CPU mark' score for the 3720QM (click (http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i7-3720QM+%40+2.60GHz)) is based on 1 sample vs the 427 samples of the 2700k. I don't know why they have so few samples if Passmark is the CPU benchmarking authority.

The score in your screenshot is 9322.3. The CPU mark average for the 2700k listed right now on their site is 9355. I wouldn't say it's 'raping' your processor, but it might be playing a little rough and making it admit it's a whore.

If you want to feel good about your purchase and say it's a great mobile processor, sure, I'll buy that. But to say it 'rapes' desktop Sandy Bridge processors is a bit of an overstatement. I'm sure it does stock-for-stock, but with a desktop there's little reason to keep it there. I've heard of those disadvantages to overclocking you speak of but haven't really experienced them. My old Q9550 ran at 4ghz from July 09 until I upgraded in January this year and it's still solid. The only reason I upgraded is because I found an i5 2500k for $190.

Here's that $190 Sandy Bridge processor pushing your sh*t in:

http://textualpredators.com/stuff/2500kpassmark.jpg

My voltage is higher than it needs to be right now because I was playing north of 5 ghz the other night and haven't yet fine tuned it back down, but it still didn't get too warm.

It wouldn't take much of an OC to get your Ivy to out-perform my i5 Sandy. Then again, if I had the 2700k, I don't think you'd be touching it with your temps. But everyone knows mobile vs desktop is a dumb comparison and this is just a pissing match.

arcanise
05-10-2012, 11:01 AM
tested my new IVY it rapes floating point, damn near the same for all the older instruction sets unfortunately

Indefinite
05-13-2012, 07:52 AM
So is this another one of those topics, where StarteR attempts to extend his penis size (due to lacking sexual life with his supposed wife) by throwing around fancy screens and vocabulary, many (all?) of whom he simply doesn't understand, but still does so anyway, because they sound cool?

Mookster
05-14-2012, 06:13 PM
Hyper Threading ~ overclocking, I literally laughed out loud.
http://media.bestofmicro.com/B/7/334771/original/3770k%20vs%202700k.png
http://media.bestofmicro.com/B/6/334770/original/3770k%20vs%202550k.png

The Ivy and Sandy systems used here have nearly identical setups, as I'm sure you would've noticed while reading the review if you didn't tl;dr the whole thing the first time you saw something you didn't understand (which I can only assume was immediately.)
Popular benchmarking websites strive to keep their results accurate, oddly enough. The simple fact of the matter is that Ivy bridge is not a good overclocker due to heat. This stems from their Trigate design and their decision to cheap out on TIM. Some people have shown Ivy to get better thermals with modded TIM, particularly while under water (in this scenario Ivy may even surpass Sandy.) Unfortunately, TIM modding is something that people generally just don't do.
I said that respectfully with hopes that you might learn something.

Now I'd like to say you're the biggest ****ing moron on this website right now. It's you. You're the new Ctark, arcanise, Akazukin, howardmeis, etc., and I'd like you to know that it's not solely due to their absence.
That said, I don't even see why you're being so defensive; Ivy isn't a bad processor. (Actually I do know why, and it's because you're so insecure that you innately tie your self esteem to a stupid processor.) Anyway, it's not a terrible processor and you shouldn't even feel too bad about it.
Just try not to pay any attention to the fact that my 980x which was released nearly 2 and a half years ago is still pretty much on par with Ivy. No need to burden yourself with thoughts of how, in certain scenarios, Gulftown actually "rapes" Ivy bridge.

Anyway, Gratz on the new laptop.

Mookster
05-14-2012, 06:56 PM
Oh, here's a video on how to remove your TIM just in case you want to increase your Hyperthreading headroom.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMzzUuvKWPM&feature=player_embedded

DSG
05-14-2012, 07:38 PM
Oh god that was painful to watch. What a moron, you arent supposed to remove the thermal paste anyways you are supposed to replace it with better stuff because Intel cheaped out on it. I honestly feel bad for anybody who bought an ivy, you shouldn't have to jump through all those hoops to get better temps.

NickF
05-15-2012, 02:10 PM
Im surprised he didnt crack the ****ing die.

Lol he's got my keyboard and my mobo

Mookster
05-15-2012, 06:55 PM
As soon as I saw he was using a pocket knife to pry off the IHS I knew it was going to be painful.

MiCrOz
05-16-2012, 09:40 AM
Awesome video and thread haha I'm glad that even in death bwh can still deliver the laughs.

Starter should be taken off mod preview so the hilarity can continue.

Xthar
05-16-2012, 12:49 PM
I miss how angry this kid used to get, looks like he didnt change much over the years haha

StarteR2
05-16-2012, 05:32 PM
I miss how angry this kid used to get, looks like he didnt change much over the years haha

Every time I hear someone like you call others "kid" to have a false small sense of superiority it made me vomit. You are sad.

They removed my infractions earlier so that I could talk again... why the **** did they give them in the first place, they last a month.

Indefinite
05-16-2012, 10:30 PM
Every time I hear someone like you call others "kid" to have a false small sense of superiority it made me vomit.Well, that's a relief. Also, insert wild ramblings of a grammar nazi here.

Oh, and considering your behavior, I'm sure that sense of superiority isn't fake, but one would expect you to diminish it in hopeless attempts to save your petty self-esteem from crumbling down like a house of cards.

So if we're sad, you're definitely making the depressed go suicidal just by appearing in front of them.

StarteR2
05-17-2012, 08:12 AM
Soon you will realize what an idiot you are;) you will have no choice:D

MiCrOz
05-17-2012, 10:39 AM
Soon you will realizte what an idiot you are;) you will have no choice:D
I only wish you could be afforded such a luxury

StarteR2
05-17-2012, 11:04 AM
These are issued to meeting certain qualifications, such as being fegs or being an idiot per say. Lucky for indef, he has both, just needs to come to reality and work on himself.

NickF
05-17-2012, 01:03 PM

Just to continue the SMACKDOWN of his Ivy, this is my $200 2500k raping his face..

:mad:

Xthar
05-17-2012, 03:25 PM
Every time I hear someone like you call others "kid" to have a false small sense of superiority it made me vomit. You are sad.

They removed my infractions earlier so that I could talk again... why the **** did they give them in the first place, they last a month.
They removed the infractions so we can continue to laugh at your dumbass.

P.S Sorry mods for getting off topic.

StarteR2
05-17-2012, 06:30 PM

Just to continue the SMACKDOWN of his Ivy, this is my $200 2500k raping his face..

:mad:

That is an overclocked unit, my bench is not overclocked, dont let me rape your brain so easily.
You really shouldnt be wasting anytime, who knows when Agent****Coder will meed a bj, u gotta be there man... Gotta do tge sucking.
@xtgar, no.

Mookster
05-24-2012, 11:01 PM
That is an overclocked unit, my bench is not overclocked, dont let me rape your brain so easily.
You really shouldnt be wasting anytime, who knows when Agent****Coder will meed a bj, u gotta be there man... Gotta do tge sucking.
@xtgar, no.
What? No, only the 2600k and higher Sandy's have Hyper Threading, which according to you is overclocking, so his 2500k must be pwning your Ivy at stock speeds.
Damn, Ivy must have been engineered in the underachieving class of a special needs school.

Mookster
07-07-2012, 05:30 PM
Without any OC, and only using the built in OC (called hyper threading btw)
Stuuuuuuuupid.

StarteR2
01-31-2013, 04:34 PM
Well, you're right about Ivy not getting 5% better performance. Tom's did a diverse review and even averaged out the results from 17 real world/synthetic benches for you on this (http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ivy-bridge-benchmark-core-i7-3770k,3181-24.html) page.
Turns out, it's actually about 3.7% better, a margin which actually narrows clock per clock as you begin overclocking, and ends with Ivy not being able to reach the speeds of Sandy.

Not sure what benchmark you posted in that image but, it's clearly either fake or highly internalized and not reflective of real world, or even typical synthetic benchmark performance.
I'm not saying Ivy is terrible, I'm just saying I'd prefer Sandy for its better thermals and overclocking, let alone price.

It's completely to be expected that adding Trigate to Sandy's design would sacrifice heat distribution for efficiency. There's nothing terribly wrong with being on par with Sandy; for a laptop part it's by some margin an improvement. But, still, you should know that margin isn't 20%.

It's been a year and I still don't believe how stupid you are mookster.

I mean I showed you proof, that my mobile IVY, raped the desktop SANDY, with no overclocking on either of them, and you are telling me that the desktop IVY is the same as the desktop SANDY. Yeah, you need a stupid diagnosis.

Mookster
01-31-2013, 08:25 PM

I mean I showed you proof, that my mobile IVY, raped the desktop SANDY, with no overclocking on either of them, and you are telling me that the desktop IVY is the same as the desktop SANDY. Yeah, you need a stupid diagnosis.
Ivy is slightly faster, clock for clock. Ivy can't cool off well enough to keep up with Sandy's overclocking, due to it's TIM; therefor, Sandy will overclock further and perform the same or better in most situations --- for less money.
You showed some score on some obscure benchmark and told us Sandy scores lower than that. I showed you two graphs from Tom's that summarize the performance difference between a 2700K and 3770K in a plethora of real world applications and benchmarks. If you have trouble reading said graph: Ivy is 3.5% faster than Sandy Bridge, clock for clock. Sandy is a better overclocker than Ivy. Your laptop is stock. You are a moron. Conclude your life.

Indefinite
02-01-2013, 11:56 PM

I mean I showed you proof, that my mobile IVY, raped the desktop SANDY, with no overclocking on either of them, and you are telling me that the desktop IVY is the same as the desktop SANDY. Yeah, you need a stupid diagnosis.It's been a year and you reaffirm my belief you're scared self-entitled butthurt emo white trash that's been beaten in the face with a frying pan all it's life and deserves to be looked down upon, simply because it's a waste of organic material. I imagine that if you're having difficulty getting over this, you'd have much more difficulty opening a pack of razors or tying a knot, let alone doing the right thing for society.

Did I mention that it's been proven a year ago that you are idiotic enough to use vocabulary you don't understand or even bother to check? :)

Sandman
02-02-2013, 07:20 AM
He's just doing his civic duty, trying to rile us up and give us something to talk about so it's not so boring here. I admire Mr. 2's efforts and feel a need to do my part as well. Since I'm not so good at trolling, I'm going to get with DSG this week and open up a tranny porn forum. That'll hold us over until we have something new to argue about.

In the meantime, **** u fgts, ivy4lyfe, etc etc

gamepin126
02-03-2013, 02:09 AM
I'm going to get with DSG this week

wait, which one of you is the tranny?

Sandman
02-03-2013, 05:43 PM
DSG had to be different and dress up as some sort of robot-animal glowy vibrating thing from an alternate future with pierced nipples that arc when you connect them with a metal chain. The guy's really weird. I'm just your average, run-of-the-mill tranny.

StarteR2
02-08-2013, 06:39 AM
IVY BRIDGE FTW!

Sandman
02-08-2013, 09:03 PM
ivy downloads gay porn fast enouf to keep up wif me

Well, color me skeptical. Not that Ivy isn't quick enough for even the most chafed and cockstarved of pillow biters, but I'm skeptical that you would need porn. We both know I'm fulfilling enough for you. If I were to smell my own dick, my first presumption would be that you've farted somewhere nearby.

StarteR2
02-11-2013, 11:39 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ewxH0uAU18

THAT'S GOOD!

Sandman
08-04-2013, 09:24 AM
Hey guys I finally got myself an Ivy Bridge cpu on the cheap and I think I owe Starter2 and the rest of the community an apology for my ignorance and for hastily jumping to conclusions. This thing does indeed rape my old Sandy Bridge as a space heater. My antique Sandy would just discard the heat like it was worthless and let the wind carry it away to parts unknown. Not Ivy, though. This marvel of modern computing holds on to it because Intel finally realized that heat is a valuable commodity during Summer in Florida. Sure, this 3570k may score lower than my woefully obsolete 2500k did even in that synthetic benchmark Starter was going on about earlier in this thread despite the fact that is in no way indicative to real world performance, but that benchmark doesn't measure love or, more importantly, money, which I will soon be swimming in once I start canning and selling all this heat. Thanks for showing me the way, guy.

K? Pŕo?ćtiόnŹ
08-05-2013, 07:57 AM
l o l

StarteR2
08-05-2013, 03:01 PM
Hey guys I finally got myself an Ivy Bridge cpu on the cheap and I think I owe Starter2 and the rest of the community an apology for my ignorance and for hastily jumping to conclusions.

When you say on the cheap, what do you mean? They are not that much cheaper than they were a year ago. Even with the newer gen out, the Ivy is more or less the same price.

Or maybe you are just trying to look cool infront of your butt buddies, alluding to the fact that you are about to bash it hard, and you don't want them to think you spend any money on this piece of hardware. Yeah, you are not pathetic. If indeed it is so cheap, how can you be sure you bought the real thing? Or did you make a post on craigslist asking for cheap cpu that looks like Ivy and would pass for an Ivy.

This thing does indeed rape my old Sandy Bridge as a space heater. My antique Sandy would just discard the heat like it was worthless and let the wind carry it away to parts unknown. Not Ivy, though. This marvel of modern computing holds on to it because Intel finally realized that heat is a valuable commodity during Summer in Florida.

The high temperature of a CPU is a disadvantage yes. All CPUs get hot. Your point? It gets hotter than a Sandy and performs worse? Prove it, if not, stfu and go chill with Agent GOD, who also states things that people wanna hear. The only difference between you and him, is that his ******* is just so hairy, that the other guys here didn't want it. Glad they like yours.

moving on.

Sure, this 3570k may score lower than my woefully obsolete 2500k did even in that synthetic benchmark Starter was going on about earlier in this thread despite the fact that is in no way indicative to real world performance, but that benchmark doesn't measure love or, more importantly, money, which I will soon be swimming in once I start canning and selling all this heat. Thanks for showing me the way, guy.

It does not score lower. I showed you, it scores higher. I gave you proof.

despite the fact that is in no way indicative to real world performance

HAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA. So let me guess this straight. Benchmarks are competently pointless, they do not indicate anything. So, most people doing benchmarks, are stupid, correct? No, wrong idiot.

Have fun with your "would pass for an Ivy".

Sandman
08-05-2013, 05:43 PM
Hey old buddy! I typed quite a bit explaining why I have an Ivy Bridge CPU now, the difference between synthetic benchmarks and real world tests and what difference hyperthreading makes (especially in synthetic benchmarks), but I had a BSOD and lost it all. :( This thing sure needs a lot of vcore for a measly 4.5ghz. Oh well, at least it's keeping me warm!

StarteR2
08-11-2013, 06:36 AM
Hey old buddy! I typed quite a bit explaining why I have an Ivy Bridge CPU now, the difference between synthetic benchmarks and real world tests and what difference hyperthreading makes (especially in synthetic benchmarks), but I had a BSOD and lost it all. :( This thing sure needs a lot of vcore for a measly 4.5ghz. Oh well, at least it's keeping me warm!

You wanna be taken seriously and for people to pay attention to what you say, then act seriously.

What you say is all lacking proof. Even your first word here that you typed something, is also lacking proof. Link, or it didn't happen.

Sandman
08-11-2013, 12:01 PM
Obviously I am very worried about being taken seriously by you, so here's proof that I crashed:

click here because it's a big image (http://www.textualpredators.com/stuff/crashes.jpg).

Just so it's clear these crashes are due to an unstable overclock, here's a handy BSOD troubleshooting guide taken from http://www.overclock.net/t/1198504/complete-overclocking-guide-sandy-bridge-ivy-bridge-asrock-edition

BSOD Codes for LGA 1155 Ivy Bridge
0x101 = increase vcore
0x124 = increase/decrease vcore or QPI/VTT... have to test to see which one it is
0x0A = unstable RAM/IMC, increase QPI first, if that doesn't work increase vcore
0x1E = increase vcore
0x3B = increase vcore
0x3D = increase vcore
0xD1 = QPI/VTT, increase/decrease as necessary, can also be unstable Ram, raise Ram voltage
0x9C = QPI/VTT most likely, but increasing vcore has helped in some instances
0x50 = RAM timings/Frequency or uncore multi unstable, increase RAM voltage or adjust QPI/VTT, or lower uncore if you're higher than 2x
0x109 = Not enough or too Much memory voltage
0x116 = Low IOH (NB) voltage, GPU issue (most common when running multi-GPU/overclocking GPU)
0x7E = Corrupted OS file, possibly from overclocking. Run sfc /scannow and chkdsk /r

As for proof that I was typing something, I guess you'll just have to take my word for it. After I increased my vcore (which still wasn't enough as indicated by the latest BSOD that happened today) and rebooted, I decided to take the less-is-more approach and make the same points using significantly fewer words. But I forgot who I was talking to. Oops.

To ease some of your butthurt from what I said about buying an Ivy Bridge CPU because it was cheap, I'll explain how I got myself into this hot mess.

I only upgrade when I need to, or when I find a good deal that's hard to pass up. Earlier in this thread I said I only upgraded from a Q9550 to a 2500k because I got a good deal on one. I didn't need to upgrade but $190 was a damn good price at the time so I pulled the trigger. I sold that 2500k machine in Jan or Feb this year to someone who needed it more than I did, and I built myself a cheap box with an AMD Phenom 965. In late July I had the opportunity to flip that AMD box for a solid profit, so I did. Since about all I do anymore is dick around with spreadsheets and other mundane work-related tasks, I was just going to build myself another cheap system, but I came across a good deal on some parts so I set out to build a respectable gaming machine for under $1000.

http://www.textualpredators.com/stuff/bundlepurchase.jpg

That's $150 for an i5 3570k (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116504) and $75 for an ASRock Z77 Extreme4 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157293), both of which were purchased new in April so they had about 3 months of use on them. The other $300 was for a Radeon HD 7970 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161399) that was unused in its sealed retail box. So that's what I meant by "on the cheap." I also bought a new 180GB Intel 520 SSD (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820167115) for $145 and got some pretty awesome deals on just about everything else as well.

So it's not so much that I would only buy an Ivy CPU if it were dirt cheap, but rather that I wouldn't have bothered to upgrade at all had it not been so. You can say that it's because I'm poor if it makes you feel better about yourself.

Now, on to that other stuff that's been beaten to death in this thread and well documented around the Interent.

Passmark is a sythetic benchmark that's mainly just good for giving you a generalized comparison between two similar proccessors, e.g., a stock Sandy i7 vs a stock Ivy i7. It's going to take advantage of hyperthreading's extra threads so obviously an i7 is going to score higher than a similarly clocked i5. Since I don't do a ton of content creation and other stuff that would make use of hyperthreading, spending the extra cash on it wouldn't make much sense in my case. That's where real world tests come in handy. They give you a good idea of how the hardware is going to perform doing things you'll actually be doing with your computer. This is why, as Mookster pointed out, reputable benchmarking sites tend to provide results of a variety of synthetic and real world tests to give you a clear comparison rather than just linking you to Passmark's website and telling you that the AMD FX-8320 is a better performer than the Haswell 4670k for gaming because its Passmark score is higher. That would be stupid.

I'm sure you already know that Ivy and Haswell tend to run hotter than Sandy when overclocked, and why. You just probably don't care because it doesn't affect you, since you're using a mobile processor and you're not overclocking. Well, I am, and my personal 3570k doesn't perform quite as well as my 2500k did, but it does get a lot hotter. That's pretty much all I was saying. It's not hard to guess why that is. I'm having a hard time getting a stable 4.5ghz clock on this thing, whereas my 2500k could do 5ghz 24/7. That's just the way it is in my case. Some folks are lucky enough to get a 3570k to sit at 4.5 or higher with 1.28v. Most are not. Still, 4.5 isn't a bad overclock.

Again, my 2500k was stable at 5ghz on air, but it needed north of 1.5v vcore to do it and temps made a hugh jump to the low 90s.

http://www.textualpredators.com/stuff/2500k5ghz.jpg

So, to keep things safe my daily overclock was 4.9 with 1.4v~ and temps getting to about 70 degrees C under load.

For the 4.9 vcore and temps, I'm going by memory and don't have a screenshot to prove it, but you can find lots of those CPUs getting similar (or better) results around the 'net. It doesn't seem to be a rarity. In my screenshot posted earlier in the thread, I was sitting at 4.7ghz and 1.37v, which I explained was a bit too high for that clock because I wasn't done tuning it. Also in that screenshot you'll notice my max load temp for 1.37v was 60 degrees.

Using the same version of Passmark, here's a screenshot for comparing my 3570k, which is at its apparent limit of 4.5ghz, and my 2500k from the previous screenshot at its relatively low clock and high vcore.

click here to view the screenshot (http://www.textualpredators.com/stuff/3570kpassmark.jpg)

The old screenshot is on the left and the new Passmark results on the right, for comparison. Notice that the temps are much higher even though the vcore is slightly lower.
edit:
Sorry, that's showing VID, not vcore. IIRC the vcore was about the same, though.

My 3570k at its apparent limit of 4.5ghz just barely inches ahead of my 2500k at its lowball 4.7ghz in the overall CPU score, but is lower in most of the individual tests. Going by this, it's safe to assume that my 2500k at its stable, daily overclocked speed of 4.9ghz scored higher than this Ivy CPU, and at lower temperatures.

According to this: http://www.madshrimps.be/articles/article/1000289/Intel-Ivy-Bridge-i5-3570K-i7-3770K-Review/10
Ivy only needs 4.8 ghz to be roughly on par with its Sandy predecessor at 5 ghz. And that's not bad at all if you can get your Ivy CPU to clock that high. I personally cannot. And if I could, air cooling just wouldn't be able to cut it without delidding.

I hope I included enough pictures to make this a fun learning experience. SANDMAN OUT *drops mic*

Sinz
08-12-2013, 04:20 PM
AND THE CROWD GOES SILENT. WITH A SLOW CHANT STARTING IN THE BACK OF THE ROOM

sandman sandman
sandman sandman
sandman sandman
sandman sandman
sandman sandman
sandman sandman
sandman sandman

BloodyBlade
08-12-2013, 11:04 PM

saren
08-12-2013, 11:16 PM
Oh ****, Sandman still in the ownzone.

Also, sup.

Sandman
08-14-2013, 04:19 PM
I'm looking at the 5ghz screenshot and that temperature spread is horribly uneven across the 4 cores. You guys think maybe I would have gotten better temps if I hadn't applied my thermal goop in the dark?

Actually, who cares. Saren are you still doing stuff?

MiCrOz
08-14-2013, 07:03 PM
Holy ****, LIFE ON BWH?!

Also, Haswell?

saren
08-17-2013, 10:01 PM
A) ffffffuuuuuuu

B) yeah still doing stuff. You doing stuff, still?

Sandman
08-17-2013, 11:57 PM
Not if I can help it! Much has changed since I spearheaded the Great Stuff Doing Movement of aught 6. By the time people figured out I was only tricking them into doing stuff for me, it was too late.

StarteR2
08-28-2013, 04:20 PM
Not if I can help it! Much has changed since I spearheaded the Great Stuff Doing Movement of aught 6. By the time people figured out I was only tricking them into doing stuff for me, it was too late.

Appreciate the effort you put into compiling that info. I feel convinced that your Ivy is causing your crashes. However, it beats me as to why. This isn't normal. I got 2 ivy's in the house, only cause apple is to retarded to release macbook pro retina display with the next gen intel. None of them are crashing me. One is i5 one is i7.

Sandman
08-30-2013, 10:12 AM
The crashes just indicate that my chip needs stupidly high voltage to be stable at 4.5 ghz. Some folks have gotten theirs to do it with <1.3v. It's luck of the draw. If I drop it to 4.4ghz it seems to be fine with 1.28 vcore, although I haven't test it long enough to be sure. Why it needs such a sharp increase in vcore for the extra 100mhz, I've no idea.

Sandman
01-25-2014, 07:19 AM
UPDATE:
My 3570k is no longer stable at 4.5ghz unless I crank up the voltage to ludicrous levels. It seems to be happily sitting at 4.4ghz with 1.3 vcore which is not very good. I've been overclocking since Athlon Palomino days and this is the first time I've actually experienced CPU degradation. F U, electromigration & Ivy Bridge.

Although, to be fair, I did buy this chip slightly used. For all I know the previous owner could have been folding at 4.8ghz for 3 months solid.