PDA

View Full Version : About to start building

Voice Of Korhal
03-08-2011, 09:52 PM
Alright, just got all my parts ordered, building right now.

Okay, so I got my Hyper 212 plus and my Phenom 955 ii x4 Black Edition. I put the stock cooler away because its garbage, and got out my Hyper. Now, neither the chip nor the Heatsink on the hyper is pre applied with thermal paste, now since the heatsink doesn't even cover the chip, should I just drop a rice sized grain on the chip and just put the heatsink over it, or more logically just drop the grain and then spread it out?

arcanise
03-08-2011, 10:04 PM
spread it with the heatsink

Voice Of Korhal
03-09-2011, 07:00 AM
Like, just use the copper bars to spread the rice grain out?

NickF
03-09-2011, 02:36 PM
When you mount it, the pressure will spread on outward on the IHS so the heatsink will make excellent contact in the center of the chip where the actual die is. Don't go crazy and beat yourself up about it, you just have to experiment with it. Direct Touch heat-sinks require a little extra hermal material to hit between the grooves and make more surface area, so use like a dab in the top center of the cpu and another dab on the bottom center of the heatsink.

arcanise
03-09-2011, 04:09 PM
exactly the pressure from the mounting of the heat sink will provide the spreading for you

Voice Of Korhal
03-09-2011, 05:46 PM
Alright, so I just pasted a bit on the cpu and bit on the heatsink, installed the heatsink. I hope it works.