PDA

View Full Version : Win7 audio/video stutter

gamepin126
03-04-2011, 12:11 AM
Win7 SP1 64bit
Core i5
4gb ram

Recently my HTPC has started acting weird, the audio and video get this random 1 sec stutter. I recently upgraded to SP1 and reinstalled all the codecs, nothing changed. This is a global issue, not limited to media player, I've used XBMC, WMP, VLC, MPC all have the same problems.

Using Resmon I didn't see any CPU spikes, same for RAM, disk and net.

It doesn't have a gfx card (hasn't been an issue in the past). Running at 1080p via HDMI into my 51"

As far as I can tell the computers operating normally, the only time I see an issue is when I'm watching a movie. It's got ESET SS on it and nobody uses anything else other than chrome. And all people use the pc for is email and movies. I actually don't download anything straight through it, I have a pretty beefy network that I send most stuff through.

Maybe someone can come up with something I've missed, or a way to log it so I can do some more digging.

Thanks.

arcanise
03-04-2011, 07:14 PM
try this codec and tell me if you still get the same probs
CCCP - Combined Community Codec Pack (http://www.cccp-project.net/)

yes i realize its cccp which is a pun on ccp but hey it works

gamepin126
03-04-2011, 08:07 PM
It's not a codec issue.

NickF
03-04-2011, 08:22 PM
Are the files sotred locally or remotely? Could be lag spikes caused by interference if you are sharing over a network.

gamepin126
03-04-2011, 08:53 PM
Local, even if it wasn't I have a solid connection to a wireless N Dualband router

arcanise
03-04-2011, 10:59 PM
im telling you windows is not that solid on their codecs the codec package i linked you replaces the standard windows ones for ones that have amazing returns.

gamepin126
03-05-2011, 12:29 AM
I'm telling you that a problem with multiple formats on multiple players isn't a codec issue. I'm looking more for a way of narrowing down the cause of the problem rather than blind suggestions. I use the same exact codecs on my personal computer and have zero issues, and my pc has significantly less resources than my other one does.

I think the issue is something is causing too many interrupts, but I have no idea how to find what's causing them.

arcanise
03-05-2011, 10:56 AM
can you try to run the player on a higher priority, and if that does not work set the affinity of the player to 1 core and see if that helps, your CPU may be getting hit with other processes that want to use threads more than the video player

NickF
03-05-2011, 02:20 PM
I have to agree with arcanise on that one.

gamepin126
03-05-2011, 03:36 PM
If that was the problem, I wouldn't have bothered posting.

Anyways, turns out killing DWM fixed it. It was causing a lot of DPC and Interrupt spikes

arcanise
03-05-2011, 04:06 PM
in other words DWN was using threads that took priority over the video playback

gamepin126
03-05-2011, 09:52 PM
Do you have any idea what an interrupt is?

arcanise
03-05-2011, 10:43 PM
yes, yes i do, its when a progem interrupts another's *thread* and puts itself in priority over the other, im a bit dunk so my typing is well stupid but yes i do

gamepin126
03-05-2011, 11:36 PM
Um, no. It has nothing to do with priorities, nor threads.

Think of an interrupt as a fire drill at your junior high school (or adult ed center, w/e is more applicable). You're in the middle of a lecture, someone begins the fire drill, everyone drops what they're doing and walks outside. After lining up in rows or w/e and a bunch of whining, a teacher rings the bell and everyone goes back to their lecture as if nothing happened.

An interrupt functions the same way. When a condition is met it tells the cpu to drop w/e it's doing and do this **** RIGHT NOW. It doesn't care if you were in the middle of a game or uploading a term paper. Everything stops, it does what it does, then your computer continues what it was doing oblivious to what happened.

If you want, we can go back to arguing about tv firmwares and how you're not wrong about those either.

MiCrOz
03-05-2011, 11:40 PM
If you want, we can go back to arguing about tv firmwares and how you're not wrong about those either.

Firmware? Those USB ports are to use your TV as a PC monitor!

I'd still love to see him connect two powered USB ports to eachother...

NickF
03-06-2011, 06:16 AM
USB's 480 Mbits power house is totally comprable to HDMIs 3+ Gbit of bandwidth. Why wouldn't you be able to use it to watch 1080p video on your tv from your computer

arcanise
03-06-2011, 10:11 AM
Use USB to connect that monitor (http://www.networkworld.com/columnists/2007/081407-cool-tools.html)

point proven **** tards

MiCrOz
03-06-2011, 10:48 AM
Use USB to connect that monitor (http://www.networkworld.com/columnists/2007/081407-cool-tools.html)

point proven **** tards

..that link has nothing to do with the original discussion. You stated the USB port on the back of HDTVs are to use as a monitor. You linked a monitor that uses USB.

God you're dumb

arcanise
03-06-2011, 04:14 PM
never once did i state that i was refering to HDTV's, i made it very clear over and over again that there are monitors that can be used with USB input for multiple monitor support

MiCrOz
03-06-2011, 05:01 PM
never once did i state that i was refering to HDTV's, i made it very clear over and over again that there are monitors that can be used with USB input for multiple monitor support
Whatever moron, your statement was that the USB port on the back of TVs was for using it as a monitor, which is wrong. You then changed your story to whatever that crap is you linked.

Every time you post you make it more and more blatantly obvious how ****ing dumb you are, keep it up, gives me a good laugh.

arcanise
03-06-2011, 06:29 PM
i r iz smert babuun

NickF
03-06-2011, 08:33 PM
This got off track. Problem is solved. Clos'd