PDA

View Full Version : Will these parts work?

Voice Of Korhal
01-18-2011, 08:26 PM
ASUS M4A79XTD EVO AM3 AMD 790X ATX AMD Motherboard

ASUS Black IDE DVD-ROM Drive Model DVD-E818A4/BLK/B/GEN

CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL

AMD Athlon II X4 645 Propus 3.1GHz Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor ADX645WFGMBOX.

Cooler Master HAF 922M Mid Tower ATX Computer Case

WESTERN DIGITAL 1TB SERIAL ATA/300 7200RPM 32MB BUFFER
INTERNAL HARD DRIVE CAVIAR BLUE - WD10EALS

Okay build?

CrazyGerbilEater
01-18-2011, 09:06 PM
yes, though a 600w power supply would be more than enough

Motherboards comply to a specification, in your case its ATX, and the case supports only ATX boards. ==good
the PSU, almost certainly fits, but idk.
are you going to overclock or are you in a hot climate or in the location of the computer case going to be hot?
if no, then extra cooling will likely be wasted
if yes, then an aftermarket cooler would be appreciated by your cpu.

Voice Of Korhal
01-18-2011, 09:22 PM
yes, though a 600w power supply would be more than enough

Motherboards comply to a specification, in your case its ATX, and the case supports only ATX boards. ==good
the PSU, almost certainly fits, but idk.
are you going to overclock or are you in a hot climate or in the location of the computer case going to be hot?
if no, then extra cooling will likely be wasted
if yes, then an aftermarket cooler would be appreciated by your cpu.

So... this would be an okay CPU?: Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER GX Series RS650-ACAAE3-US 650W ATX12V v2.31 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817171052)

Would it fit? I live in Las Vegas, it's very bi polar. Right now, the room temperature maintains a good 72 degrees fahrenheit. It may be the same in summer with air conditioning. I am DEFINETELY not risking overclocking.

Also, for thermal pasting, should both the heatsink AND CPU have thermal paste on them? How do I apply it? Should I get an aftermarket ARtic thermal paste and just manually do it? Though I think that will be a pain the the arse because I would need to clean it off the processor and heatsink. Should I trust the already pasted in paste?

Should I flash my BIOS? I read a nasty review where one guy fried his mobo because it wasn't updated to the latest. Will it even be possible without first installing the CPU?\

My motherboard says it supports ATHLON II but not exactly ATHLON II x4, should I be worried? Does this mean I should flash the BIOS?

CrazyGerbilEater
01-19-2011, 06:19 AM
it'd be good to get aftermarket paste. wut is it, artic silver 5? I think thats the most popular stuff, you can do an online search and see which one.

There are also good instructions online on how to do it, you only need a very small amount and just put the small bead on the cpu, it'll spread.
All the paste does is fill in the tiny inperfections of the heatsink plate touching the cpu, that way it is consistent contact between the cpu and the heatsink allowing optimal heat transfer. If there was a perfect finish on both the heatsink plate and the cpu, you wouldn't even need paste. Which is why you need very little paste, because there are only very small imperfections.

As for bios flashing, I've never bothered to do it, nickf or someone will need to comment on it. I doubt in this day and age of safety precautions they make that it'll fry, there are all types of horror stories online but I don't know of anyone who has had that happen. Though I do know people who've screwed up flashing their bios and had to send the mobo back because it was fudged. Or so they've said.

Voice Of Korhal
01-19-2011, 07:19 AM
Haha, okay. I read that the processor I am using, AMD, does NOT recommend Arctic Silver and it will void the warranty. Would it be safe to use ARctic silver?

So anyways, do I just , after cleaning it free with 90%+ Rubbing Alcohol and lint free cloth, I would just put a rice sized paste onto the middle of the CPU and just immediately apply the heatsink over? Do I have to apply any to the heatsink? If so, how?

CrazyGerbilEater
01-19-2011, 10:16 AM
none to the heatsink. While your securing the heatsink it'll push the paste out and spread it. Putting some on the heatsink would be redundant because you already put some on the cpu which the heatsink is going onto. You can check your thermal levels just to be sure after you've applied it.

The default paste is usually crap, like 10c hotter because it can be terrible. If you correctly put the silver on it'll be alot cooler, depending on the coolers efficiency. I think 10c is the cap in the difference you'd ever see in different pastes. However there are other pastes out there, and artic silver is more expensive than a couple ones that I saw were slightly better on a benchmark, and a few dollars cheaper a tube.
I heard this stuff was pretty good.
Newegg.com - MASSCOOL G751 Shin-Etsu Thermal Interface Material (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835150080)

I remember my aftermarket cooler, I thought I was going to break my motherboard putting it on it was so tight, same thing with securing my cpu, It secured so ****ing tight and hard. I spend like half an hour trying to figure out if I was doing it wrong because It seemed any harder would break it lol. But that means the artic silver i put on would've spread out due to how tight it was.

I've heard some peoples artic silver acted like glue and the ripped the top half of their cpu off taking the heatsink off, maybe thats why?

Voice Of Korhal
01-19-2011, 12:22 PM
Okay :P

Do all cases come with the cables connecting the power button and reset button/speakers and light to the mobo? Or must I buy those seperately?

CrazyGerbilEater
01-19-2011, 01:49 PM
anything to connect to things on the case should be with the case, plus all the mounting **** and screw for drives if it needs it. The only worry would be sata cables. You'd have to check your parts, retail drives should come with them, or motherboards might come with one or two.

I recently bought like 4 of them because I had none. I forgot about them when I purchased some bare drives on newegg.

Voice Of Korhal
01-19-2011, 03:46 PM
my computer will be on the floor[not carpet] and I don't want the fan to suck up dust(the PSU goes on the bottom of the case and the honey comb holes for the air is on the bottom so the fan has to be facing down), so is it okay if I lay the computer on the side?

Also, for an anti static wrist band, do I just put it on my wrist, clip the metal button, and alligator it to the case that I am building on?(Wouldn't this actually kill anything touching the case then?)

Also, what's the difference between DVD drives and burners? Can't they both read and burn? Which ones can read AND burn?

CrazyGerbilEater
01-19-2011, 05:16 PM
burners burn, reg dvd drives just read.
your grounding the static electricity with the metal in the case which is acting as your ground. All the static electricity on your hand will dissipate into the ground. I know next to nothing in regards to that **** though, I'm mostly virtual. Which is why you either touch the metal in teh case, or get an anti static wrist pad, WHICH YOU GROUND BY ATTACHING TO UNPAINTED METAL IN THE CASE.

lay it whichever way you want, wont hurt anything. if you lay it so a heavy graphics card is falling out of the slot I can't promise it wont slip a little. just don't throw it over suddenly and not expect something to happen. Shock force is not good.

Voice Of Korhal
01-19-2011, 05:31 PM
Okay, where can I buy lint free cloth?

han_han
01-19-2011, 10:35 PM
Okay, where can I buy lint free cloth?

Newegg.com - lint free cloth (http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=lint+free+cloth&x=0&y=0)

Voice Of Korhal
01-20-2011, 12:05 PM
What kind of item costs more shipping than the item itself? Do they sell it at target or something?

The_Jelly
01-20-2011, 04:39 PM
If you've even bothered to check the site, if you ship more than 1 item it will bundle it up with your other parts.

Voice Of Korhal
01-20-2011, 04:52 PM
EDIT: Just changed specs that I am going to get.

Going to be my first time building, any pointers?

Also, the paste you reccommended to me, Shin Etsu, I heard it's really thick. Can I still just put a dab on my processor, and put my new Hyper 212 on top of it? Or must I spread it out?

arcanise
01-21-2011, 07:50 PM
spread it out so its a thin film, no thicker than 1mm

Voice Of Korhal
01-21-2011, 09:45 PM
So just put a rice sized grain and spread it out with.... ?

arcanise
01-22-2011, 01:06 AM
finger/piece of plastic doesnt matter

Voice Of Korhal
01-22-2011, 09:09 AM
I'm almost sure it said somewhere not to touch the thermal paste with your finger. Or does that only apply to pre applied thermal stock paste?

Mookster
01-22-2011, 09:29 AM
Don't use your finger.

If there are notches around the heat pipes on your cooler be sure to fill them aswell.

arcanise
01-22-2011, 03:28 PM
yes if the block on the heatsink has gaps between teh pipes and the block them selves be sure to fill those for max thermal transfer

Voice Of Korhal
01-22-2011, 03:47 PM
But if I don't cover EVERY since square mm, the worlds not gonna end right? As long as I try to cover as much crevices as possible between the pipes

arcanise
01-22-2011, 09:18 PM
right the thermal paste is essentially there to ensure there are no air pockets between CPU and heatsink, it however cannot conduct heat as well as metal-metal contact so the less you have to use to make a sealed contact the better

Voice Of Korhal
01-22-2011, 10:36 PM
If I'm not even going to bother to overclock but I have 2 120mm side fans, 1 front 200mm fan, 1 top 200mm fan, and 1 rear 120mm fan, can I just use the stock paste and hsf?

CrazyGerbilEater
01-22-2011, 11:36 PM
you can, technically you'll even be fine with stock heatsink and a single fan. Plenty of computers operate like that for years. It's just generally better to keep your electronic parts as cool as possible, safe from static, and safe from water/condensation. More fans, better airflow, better cooling methods, better heat transfer all play a part in how long and how well your computer parts last.

I try to run 24/7, so I have excellent cooling to ensure my parts last as long as they can, and I'm a gamer and a computer enthusiast, so I push my parts to their limits in how much work I put on them, so they all generally heat up, so I appreciate the extra cooling because even on a hot day, nothing will overheat and I'll be safe from performance degradation and destabilization(blue screens and computer errors) that happen when parts get too hot.

You'll be completely fine, just check every few months to make sure you aren't accumulating a heavy layer of dust, because thats bad for cooling performance. just bear in mind stock paste is generally terrible(not dangerous) and no custom computer builder will ever use it in their own machine or in anyones machine they care about.

Voice Of Korhal
01-23-2011, 08:39 AM
I guess I'll stick with the Arctic Silver, since I just bought shin etsu and it's like peanut butter that's been in the fridge for a day. So just put a dab, put the HSF over it, and take it off to make sure that it's pressurized and it's spread everywhere? Or do I have no need to check since it's guaranteed?

CrazyGerbilEater
01-23-2011, 10:36 AM
not guarenteed but i never rechecked it. I just looked at my cpu temps and they were fine n I was leik kay done.

Voice Of Korhal
01-23-2011, 01:51 PM
And just a dab with the pressure will cover the entire CPU? I mean, I'm a bit skeptical of a person, but still...