PDA

View Full Version : Transferring Skewls

Dick
12-30-2010, 09:19 PM
I need advice guys. Ive kind of lost faith in the college and my chosen degree I have been becoming learned on/at for like the last 2 years. I'm pretty sure I want to just finish out this next semester and transfer, I just have never gone through this process so I was wondering if any of you out there, that have, know much about it. I know I probably need to assess what credits will transfer and if it will be worth it for the long term.

Just some background, I'm currently studying Graphic Design at The New England Institute of Art, which is a ****E college and I advise any of you STRONGLY to AVOID THE COLLEGE INCORPORATED BULL**** that schools like Ai and the like have become, I think I want to change my major to possibly a bachelors in computer science/programming/web development. Don't get me wrong, I might hate my school with a passion at this point but graphic design is my passion, unfortunately what Ive come to learn is that the degree is almost wholly unnecessary. Whether or not you land a job is really based on your resume and who you know. Thats why I was gonna try and go for something in programming/development, this is a great field for me because I already have some experience coding, and it goes hand in hand with web design. Not to mention with a computer programming degree I'll pretty much be guaranteed a job right out of school which will really help with loans.

What I'm just not good at is finding decent and somewhat cheaper colleges/universities for the particular areas of study I was referencing above. any advice on that front would be awesome.

The Short:
Tryna transfer schools
looking for schools that have strong programs in computer programming/web development
dont know ****
neccessita ayuda por favor :crazyeyes:

CrazyGerbilEater
12-30-2010, 10:00 PM
I go to herzing, they have alot of schools all over the place so maybe theres one somewhere near you. The madison one that I go to has nurse, CAD, programming, Networking, Grapgic design ****z, game development(mostly just a graphic design program with some script training in unreal tournament III), electrical engineering, and all that good ****, private school, I like almost all the teachers, all of them in my program I think are awesome teachers, overqualified if anything and cool dudes. We also have almost all new equipment, the programming lab has i beleive Q9400's with 22" monitors and 4 gigs of ram, and they are upgrading a bunch of labs with break. 5/6 rooms have 30+ machines, more than the number of students for every class I've had, cad students have quadros, game development lab has geforce, and mac lab has some **** but i've avoided that room like plague so i dunno. every room has a projector and white board, speakers. So good tech, IT staff is students who know what their doing, teachers know hellofalot, lots of industry experiance, they work pretty hard to get us opportunities for jobs by having career fairs and they sitdown with a large panel of employers in the area every once in a while to see what they want added to the programs we have. I sat in on one meeting once, pretty cool. Overall I'm pretty happy with it, small school, I had a class with 2 people, me and one of my friends, thats right! a two person class, lolwtf it was hilarious. only gen ed classes have more than 15 students, i think 22 or 24 was max I've had in a class. Online or offline, and an accelerated year round program for bachelors in round 3 years.

Dunno about the other branches, but mines pretty cool. But yea, I'd rather not go to school at all, but people generally like to see degrees on resumes.

Dick
12-31-2010, 03:52 PM
Yeah thats exactly what I'm trying to avoid, what you just described is quintessentially identical to Ai. Graphic Design and Game Development as a degree, scoff. The people who are making money in those fields have serious programming degrees lol, not scripting experience in UT3 lmao. It's almost funny, and is quite sad, how accurately you described the cluster**** of a school that Ai is. I quote:

private school
Private College (which also means less financial aid, way less refund programs)

they have alot of schools all over the place
Multiple "franchises", as I have come to call them, planted all around the country

they sitdown with a large panel of employers in the area every once in a while to see what they want added to the programs we have
a supposed "expert" panel of industry insiders, btw they are investors, they have a stake in how much money the college makes. These financiers also have a hand in setting the curriculum which usually coincides with there other financial interests, demanding students buy certain textbooks, materials, software and hardware.

accelerated year round program for bachelors in round 3 years
accelerated 3 year program which in the case of Ai (idk about herzog or w/e) just means summer semesters

5/6 rooms have 30+ machines, more than the number of students for every class I've had...every room has a projector and white board, speakers
even the cookie cutter lab spaces down to the projectors and white boards. Most importantly these schools are inhabited by people like you gerbil who would:

...rather not go to school at all
I wanted to go to college, I want to feed my brain. These schools offer very little to someone already versed in the design suites, and provide even less actual "education" I want to go to a real school and get a real education.

CrazyGerbilEater
12-31-2010, 11:38 PM
a real education? describe that to me, because the two cousins of mine whom attend a "real" university are ****ing around most of the time and still getting good grades. I'd rather not go to school at all because I'm more capable of teaching myself than being taught. My school provides what I want, tools, and teachers who've actually worked in my field within the last few years, which I suppose is why it fits me, what you want I guess is a highly regulated and controlled environment where you follow an exact guideline to wind up fitting the bill for the typical university follower, have fun with all that theory, I'll have fun actually making programs in my classes and deploying networks. I also get to talk to my teachers and get to know them, which I like, because they can tell me whats all bull**** in the class and what I'll actually need to know. The people on the board are the people who will be considering whether to hire me or not, their invested in teaching me the skills they want and need FOR THE JOB I'M TRYING TO GET. It makes alot more sense to me that the people who hire are helping design the class than some dude with a ph.d who's never worked in the field.

Going for the money, lol, wrong field buddy. You'd be lucky as **** to get a great salary in IT. and graphic design, lol. But then again, maybe it's weird I chose a career path that I'm genuinely interested in doing whether I get paid well or not.

I'm afraid I haven't attended one of those types of schools, you'll have to go in and talk to the people in charge of transfers in both your school and theirs. However, if you've been attending a private school, and are trying to get into a public university, your going to be **** out of luck I'll bet. Those types of classes are very different, and I doubt a public University would accept them simply because their too different to convert.

Irene
12-31-2010, 11:44 PM
Just a serious comment here. Stop thinking of Arts / IT / whatever courses which only lets you work like a machine. You will not fly far. Lots of people have changed from senior technician to trainers / planner. Learn to talk to people, communicate better, make your name sound and make sure you make a difference in company (indispensable). For IT jobs, you can easily be replaced.

JeweyK
01-01-2011, 11:55 AM
I don't know why you believe landing a job in computer programming will be easy or a sure fire thing. That market is probably overwhelmed with people at this point, as opposed to when computers were relatively knew and programmers made bank. If you really want a sure fire job, go into business. The world will always need a baker, and a man to count that baker's money.