PDA

View Full Version : Wireless Router

The_Jelly
11-13-2010, 03:43 PM
I've been having a lot of troubles with a roommate, who keeps unplugging my Ethernet cable to my desktop. It's getting fairly annoying because I have a bunch of torrents going at an already ridiculously slow speed. He says it helps with the lag when he plays DOTA, but we have ****ty DSL, the ping is horrible in general. Is there any way I can prevent him from connecting the wireless router? This is the router I have
Newegg.ca - D-Link DIR-601 IEEE 802.11b/g/n Wireless Broadband Router up to 150Mbps/ 10/100 Mbps Ethernet Port x4 (http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833127288)

I wanna be able to stop him from connecting to the router, occasionally, just to **** with him.

Thanks in advance. I'm sure everyones had to deal with roommates like this, but its getting REALLY annoying. +Rep for good input, as usual :D

arcanise
11-13-2010, 05:14 PM
well for one a torrent will bog down a router to the point where sometimes you cant access the internet at all, and yes its very easy to stop some one from getting on the router, go to the router settings and disable DHCP this will prevent the router from assigning new ip's but on your desktop you have to go to your IP settings and put in an ip like 192.168.0.# and a subnet of 255.255.255.0 and a default gateway of your router which is likely to be 192.168.0.1 then in the router you must tell it add a client and enter the ip you used which is the 192.168.0.# after that you should be the only computer on the network, repeat the steps above to add any more wanted clients

MiCrOz
11-13-2010, 05:52 PM
I connect to my router thru my phone and restart it to **** with my roommate. You can set service restrictions on his IP to not let his game run at certain times.

As for the torrents, if I was your roommate, I'd do the same. Torrents tie up ridiculous bandwidth, and slow things down even if their speed is slow.

The_Jelly
11-13-2010, 07:15 PM
well for one a torrent will bog down a router to the point where sometimes you cant access the internet at all, and yes its very easy to stop some one from getting on the router, go to the router settings and disable DHCP this will prevent the router from assigning new ip's but on your desktop you have to go to your IP settings and put in an ip like 192.168.0.# and a subnet of 255.255.255.0 and a default gateway of your router which is likely to be 192.168.0.1 then in the router you must tell it add a client and enter the ip you used which is the 192.168.0.# after that you should be the only computer on the network, repeat the steps above to add any more wanted clients
I share the internet with 4 other people, it would be a pain in the ass to do all that...

I connect to my router thru my phone and restart it to **** with my roommate. You can set service restrictions on his IP to not let his game run at certain times.

As for the torrents, if I was your roommate, I'd do the same. Torrents tie up ridiculous bandwidth, and slow things down even if their speed is slow.
Normally I would agree, but I had three 15 gb torrents each going at about 30~ kb/s with about five other torrents seeding at a total of 42 kb/s. We have a 10 Mbps line...I'm hardly putting a dent in the bandwidth. I'll look into the service restrictions thing and whatnot. +Rep'ed both of ya.

MiCrOz
11-13-2010, 09:58 PM
Normally I would agree, but I had three 15 gb torrents each going at about 30~ kb/s with about five other torrents seeding at a total of 42 kb/s. We have a 10 Mbps line...I'm hardly putting a dent in the bandwidth. I'll look into the service restrictions thing and whatnot. +Rep'ed both of ya.
Its not only the speed, but also number of connections. 15 connections of 2kb/s per torrent is going to lag up your router, not as much as downloading full speed, but can still be noticed. Plus, upload effects games worse than download from my personal experience.

CrazyGerbilEater
11-13-2010, 10:58 PM
Mac address filtering, you can block him permanently. If he's connected to your router, just lookup the dhcp client list and it should list the ip he has and his mac address.(or block everything but your own. You can usually do schedule's for rules like bandwidth min/max. If not, see if your compatible with www.dd-wrt.com | Unleash Your Router (http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/index)

that should have some advanced scheduling functions, along with good bandwidth management controls.

Lyric
11-14-2010, 01:59 AM
like crazygerb said, just go on his computer and do a ipconfig in a command prompt to get his mac address if hes away from the computer at the time, or if he is connected through the router then you can just look at the client list in your routers config and get his address. Also if you get dd-wrt like above suggested, you can setup some nice QoS settings to limit his download speeds and/or prioritize your stuff before his. For example, you could prioritize everything by mac/ip or you can list individual programs to have full network speed or half, or whatever you want.

The only issue in the end is he could simply just reset the router to default settings while you are gone and resume using the internet as normal, and your downloads will be ****ed anyway.

Irene
11-14-2010, 02:26 AM
Torrents will take up all internet speed and make games a PITA. It's better to plan with your roommate - e.g. On which day your downloads will be on - so that they will just surf the web. He already knows how to disconnect your cable, so if you disconnect him, he will just do the same again.

Another way, get another phone line and ISP.

Indefinite
11-14-2010, 03:22 AM
There's a toy that you might find useful for snipping people off LAN. At least it worked for me a while back, when I needed it. Hit me up with a PM.

The_Jelly
11-14-2010, 12:59 PM
Thank you everyone for the ideas and whatnot. Apparently this router has some parental control settings already there, so no problems.

StarteR2
11-14-2010, 01:51 PM
Heh... i used to share a router with my roomate who would torrent and lag up my starcraft, so i connected to the router using the default password, changed that, and sometimes disconnect his using MAC addresses, it would be funny... one time I went on a 1 week trip and left him disconnected.... HE raged at the land lady for not having internet... they tried restarting that router 100 times.... stuff happens when you mess with that lol.

DSG
11-14-2010, 05:58 PM
I would recommended getting a Tomato compatible Open Source router. The Tomato firmware is very powerful and you can do some pretty cool stuff like set up access restriction for him via mac address. Another fun thing is you could set up a script to kill his internet every time he unplugs the ethernet to your machine lol. It also features stuff like QoS so torrents wont have such an affect on the overall connection. A proper QoS setup tailored for your connection should prevent any torrent traffic from negatively impacting his precious DOTA.

Tomato Firmware (http://polarcloud.com/firmware)
NewEgg - Linksys WRT54GL (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833124190)

The_Jelly
11-14-2010, 06:12 PM
I would recommended getting a Tomato compatible Open Source router. The Tomato firmware is very powerful and you can do some pretty cool stuff like set up access restriction for him via mac address. Another fun thing is you could set up a script to kill his internet every time he unplugs the ethernet to your machine lol. It also features stuff like QoS so torrents wont have such an affect on the overall connection. A proper QoS setup tailored for your connection should prevent any torrent traffic from negatively impacting his precious DOTA.

Tomato Firmware
NewEgg - Linksys WRT54GL (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833124190)
I'll try that if the people in the house wanna get a new router. I don't think I'm going to shell out any money to deal with him. The parental block seems to be working fine atm.

NickF
11-14-2010, 10:38 PM
or,
a new school router with dd-wrt support, more ram, more features, faster cpu

Newegg.com - Linksys E2100L 802.11b/g/n Linux OS Wireless Router with USB Built-in AV Media Server (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833124387)

DSG
11-14-2010, 10:57 PM
DD-WRT isn't as easy to use though. I have had plenty of problems with DD-WRT and their never-ending beta builds. You can't really use the older stable version either as its so insecure. Sure, DD-WRT has a lot of the same features but they don't always work and it's a pain to upgrade to a new build to have X working and Y now is broken until you find one that works for your router 100% (and you might have to settle for less).

Supposedly the maker of Tomato is looking into supporting wireless N and some newer devices here but who knows when that will happen.

NickF
11-15-2010, 10:24 PM
DD-WRT isn't as easy to use though. I have had plenty of problems with DD-WRT and their never-ending beta builds. You can't really use the older stable version either as its so insecure. Sure, DD-WRT has a lot of the same features but they don't always work and it's a pain to upgrade to a new build to have X working and Y now is broken until you find one that works for your router 100% (and you might have to settle for less).

Supposedly the maker of Tomato is looking into supporting wireless N and some newer devices here but who knows when that will happen.
Never had an issue with dd-wrt on my w54gs back in the day, but meh.
/patiently awaits open sourced n-router firmwares.

Lyric
11-16-2010, 10:28 AM
dd-wrt is amazing firmware...that is all. :)