PDA

View Full Version : xBox Live

Voice Of Korhal
10-26-2010, 08:27 PM
Sorry for the recent spam thread, i have a lot of questions.

Can I connect to xBox live via wifi for free?

MiCrOz
10-26-2010, 09:34 PM
You can connect, but you can't play multiplayer. You can have a 'Silver' account for free, and a 'Gold' account by subscription. xboxlive.com will have more answers for you.

And, if you meant can the xbox connect to wifi, not without a wireless adaptor.

DSG
10-28-2010, 08:07 AM
If you want to escape having to pay the (bloated) prices of Microsoft's wireless controller you can just buy a cheap DD-WRT or Tomato compatible router and (after flashing to said firmware) just change the router mode to client. Connect to your wireless network in the router config then just plug an ethernet cord into a LAN port on the router and the other end into your xbox 360. This works for PS3 and Wii as well i believe.

Pr0nogo
10-28-2010, 11:03 AM
The new slim-360 has a built-in wi-fi adapter.

Ideal Maxima
10-28-2010, 11:40 AM
If you want to escape having to pay the (bloated) prices of Microsoft's wireless controller you can just buy a cheap DD-WRT or Tomato compatible router and (after flashing to said firmware) just change the router mode to client. Connect to your wireless network in the router config then just plug an ethernet cord into a LAN port on the router and the other end into your xbox 360. This works for PS3 and Wii as well i believe.
:wut:

Voice Of Korhal
10-28-2010, 02:00 PM
lol u too?

MiCrOz
10-29-2010, 02:37 PM
He means use another router as a wireless adaptor.

kill_urself[SA]
10-31-2010, 08:57 AM
I coughed up the money for Live, and the wireless adapter. Waste of money, that's about $150 right there.

Pr0nogo
11-01-2010, 04:10 PM
;764957']I coughed up the money for Live, and the wireless adapter. Waste of money, that's about $150 right there.

Well, it's only a waste of money if you don't enjoy it. That being said, there are plenty of other people who do enjoy it. I just generally assume that wireless networking for console games is a horrible alternative to a hardwire connection. Lag. Lag. Lag.

CrazyGerbilEater
11-01-2010, 08:15 PM
wireless for gameplay isn't bad, gaming requires very little bandwidth, and depending on your house setup(walls, metal/pippesn****) and how far away your going lag isn't going to be a problem.

I didn't lag with a 30$ N router, 30$ N adapter with two walls in the way and ~30 feet away. Granted though, there is no metal the walls, but given a powerful enough router your not going to see an issue.

You start getting issues though with streaming movies, or transferring files(on anything below 802.11n standard). Wireless N has some decent bandwidth(draft(1 or 2?) has about 100Mbps realistic speeds,thats what, nearly 13MBps which isn't bad for streaming video or transfering files, and works on 5Ghz spectrum so your not getting interference.