PDA

View Full Version : Megaupload.

Mookster
04-21-2010, 04:48 PM
I'm thinking about getting a 100mbps connection through my ISP, and curious as to whether or not Megaupload's "unlimited bandwidth" is actually unlimited because I do alot of my pirating through them. Coughing up $200 for a lifetime account isn't so bad, if I'll be getting games/movies in <2 minutes.

If any of you have first hand experience I'd be interested to hear about it.

Ranged
04-21-2010, 04:49 PM
wasnt they were 50$ or 60$ 2year ago for lifetime? im pretty sure i had/have one around.

NickF
04-21-2010, 04:54 PM
100mbps :jawdrop:
I envy you, sir.

If you plan on using it, then go ahead and spend it. I prefer torrents myself.

Ranged
04-21-2010, 05:00 PM
100mbps :jawdrop:
I envy you, sir.

If you plan on using it, then go ahead and spend it. I prefer torrents myself.

Torrents are awful! I don"t feel safe using them..

Im stuck with 7.1mbits with outrageous price... only 30gb data transfer monthly, i has to pay 9$ per extra GB.
There is indeed no competition over here.

NickF
04-21-2010, 05:03 PM
30GB limit? WTF?! I thought my 200GB cap was outrageous.

Ranged
04-21-2010, 05:51 PM
30GB limit? WTF?! I thought my 200GB cap was outrageous.

i only pay 50$ a month. for like 80$ i get 100gb limit. Add CABLE TV +40$ so thats around 100$ a month.

NickF
04-21-2010, 06:12 PM
You need to move. This is why Canada sucks.

Mookster
04-21-2010, 06:16 PM
Jesus, that's insane Ranged.
I'm paying $20/mo for 150GB/mo and 25mbps down/1mbps up, and I'm thinking of going with $120 for 500GB/mo, 100mbps/25mbps up. And even about that limit; the reps I talked to said "there's really no limit.. we don't throttle or charge you.. we just call and try to offer you a bigger package."
It's not even very necessary, but I want it for Megaupload in particular because of the abundance and ease of finding good links. Most television episodes are uploaded within 30 minutes of their air date, and for those types of files I'd be looking at <1 minute.
It'll make 1080p downloads more reasonable aswell, and that is a major staple in the entertainment system I built here.

Edit: I'm in Canada too.

Ranged
04-21-2010, 06:37 PM
I'm paying $20/mo for 150GB/mo and 25mbps down/1mbps up, and I'm thinking of going with $120 for 500GB/mo, 100mbps/25mbps up. And even about that limit; the reps I talked to said "there's really no limit.. we don't throttle or charge you.. we just call and try to offer you a bigger package."
It's not even very necessary, but I want it for Megaupload in particular because of the abundance and ease of finding good links. Most television episodes are uploaded within 30 minutes of their air date, and for those types of files I'd be looking at <1 minute.
It'll make 1080p downloads more reasonable aswell, and that is a major staple in the entertainment system I built here.

Wow, the best here is like 50mbits with 125gb as limits and cost alot.
Cable Internet access - Fast connections (http://www.videotron.com/service/internet-services/internet-access)

MiCrOz
04-21-2010, 07:43 PM
I think having a cap on your internet service is ridiculous, and they should give you a discount if you OPT to put a cap on.

Personally, most popular torrents can seed at ridiculous speeds usually if you have a good tracker, I can't say I would ever bother with MU except for small downloads.

Mookster
04-21-2010, 08:45 PM
If you have a good tracker is the big thing. I have trouble finding enough seeders to make full use of 25mbps; then there's all the wasted bandwidth that comes with torrenting, and the lengthy search. I'm looking for reliability; plus, I haven't come across an ISP that doesn't implement some sort of torrent throttler, monthly cap, or combination of the two. FTP is usually exempt from that with this ISP. Sites like Icefilms.info have a massive library of consistent quality and update with new movie releases and television as their aired; I think it'll give me a good "point, click, get" experience.
I'm just hoping MU really mean unlimited when they say "unlimited bandwidth".
I figuring $200 for the lifetime account with MU and a hefty $120/mo for the internet, minus rental costs from when the misses doesn't want to wait for the download (that happens often,) and no more paying for cable.

I think I may try it out.

han_han
04-21-2010, 09:06 PM
I don't know, I expect MU to be taken down by some anti-piracy groups some time in the future. The "lifetime" may not be lifetime.

Mookster
04-21-2010, 10:00 PM
That's true. I'm surprised they've made it this far, tbh.

bat
04-21-2010, 10:30 PM
ya megaupload is def my fav as well. MegaRelease (http://megarelease.net/) ftw

I mostly use it for tv shows like you said, tho. to be honest tho, thats the only time i go and search for megaupload links specifically. and even then, thats mostly due to the ability to stream the avi at max quality instead of having to download it before you watch via the icefilms.info greasemonkey script. effectively reduces download time to the 45 second countdown

all my other pirating activity im not really that much of a hurry to get. Ill just start a download, and even if its like 5 gigs and not properly seeded, it still only takes like a day to download.
if u really want it go for it, but for me I feel like I would have to really use it like a madman to justify having something like that

The_Jelly
04-22-2010, 08:04 AM
I know that Mediafire links aren't as common as MU, but their speeds are far superior to MU. With no wait times, and, seemingly, unlimited bandwidth, it blows MU out of the water. Pair it up with Jdownloader and its like a free version of MU premium.

StarteR2
04-22-2010, 08:32 AM

Whats your ISP?

Ven
04-22-2010, 04:57 PM
Megaupload's speed works most of the time, however like Rapidshare it suffers from a lack of servers, at least it does in England. Are you guys talking mbps or MBps? The highest speed I could get over here is a measly 50 mbps.....

NickF
04-22-2010, 07:39 PM
Oh, yes. Measly.

Mookster
04-22-2010, 08:10 PM
Mbps, not MBps. 100MBps would be bottlenecked by your HDD anyway.

NickF
04-22-2010, 08:55 PM
Well Mook, that would be one problem I would love to have :)

Just for the record, I have a 22/6 package from Comcast.

Mookster
04-22-2010, 08:58 PM
No kidding. Eh, I'm sure there are fellas out there buying SSD's to accommodate their 100MBps internet connections.