PDA

View Full Version : TrueCrypt specific problems

Indefinite
02-22-2009, 02:45 PM
Could anyone, who has experience (and I mean experience, not googled out crap, which cannot be considered solid proof) with various situations related with TrueCrypt encrypted drives, tell me, how does the situation look with checking for errors, defragmentation and power failures on both system and data encrypted drives?

Aberrant
02-22-2009, 09:54 PM
I used truecrypt to hide some pr0n a few years ago. The external drive I used still has both the partition and the file I used, need to load up on this computer and see if I can still get to the data. Are you having problems with it or are you looking for information before using?

Indefinite
02-23-2009, 12:16 AM
Looking for info before using. There's a lot of reviews showing how nice TrueCrypt is for a piece of free software, but I'm more interested how do those two partitions (not containers) react in different situations, like the mentioned power failure, defrag, checking for bads or bluescreens.

Aberrant
02-23-2009, 12:51 AM
Well I never had any problems out of it. It handles it's encrypted space in two ways. Of course there is the full partition, but you can also make a file of any size that will become a drive when opened with truecrypt. I will try and get mine back up and running to give you some feedback on cross platform use.

What kind of scenario's are you worried about with power failures?

Indefinite
02-23-2009, 01:35 AM
Irreversible data corruption.

Aberrant
02-23-2009, 08:20 AM
Well the virtual drives are like opening files so unless it was a power loss during the initial creation, which there is no data in it anyway, it should not be a problem.