PDA

View Full Version : latency

xgmx
01-03-2009, 02:54 PM
I have recently acquired high speed Internet (Cable), however now I can't host on StarCraft (no one can join my games anymore), I was able to host fine when I had dial-up (56k). I think it may have something to do with my router, please help.

Mookster
01-03-2009, 03:48 PM
You have to open your ports.

What do I need to know about ports?
Anytime your computer receives incoming data, it is sent to a "port". Your computer has many ports that can receive data, and different activities will utilize different ports.

How are ports being restricted?
Most proxy servers, firewalls, and other Internet connection sharing methods can restrict port access. Your configuration may be restricting packets from "unknown sources". In this case an "unknown source" would be defined as any IP address that you have not initiated the contact with. Once you contact the IP address, your proxy and/or firewall considers it "safe", or a "known source", since you initiated the contact. When you create a game on Battle.net, other users need to be able to contact you in order to join. In other words, they need to be able to initiate the contact. This becomes the real problem if your connection is restricting them from contacting you.

What ports are required and with what settings?
In order to connect to Battle.net, through your Local Area Network, while allowing others to connect to games you create, make sure you have the following ports setup as described below.

StarCraft:

- Allow port 6112 TCP and UDP out and in

Double click your internet connection status icon and a window will pop up; click the support tab and write down your "default gateway;" type the default gateway into your internet browser, see if your router has port control. Then, follow the steps above.
If not or if that doesn't help, open your windows firewall and (as far as I'm concerned, you might aswell) disable it.

Halloween_Devil
01-27-2009, 03:05 PM
There is something wrong with your ports.