PDA

View Full Version : RAM Question

Deg™
12-31-2008, 12:37 AM
Warning: I'm hardware retarded. Please use small words and basic terminology with me when responding to the following post.

So i can get a really good deal on 4gb of RAM (2 x 2gb sticks) for my laptop, and i was wondering if it would be a good idea, let alone do anything for me.

The deal I've been offered, is this (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145598)for 25 bucks, brand new. I figure it can't hurt, but if it's not going to do anything for me, i don't want to bother, or I'll just turn around and sell them on ebay for more.

Here's my specs once more:
Dell Latitude D630
Intel Core 2 Duo CPU @ 2.40GHz
Microsoft XP Professional SP3
80gb Hard Drive
2gb RAM (2 x 1gb sticks)
Nvidia Quadro 135m

el-camino-ss
12-31-2008, 12:44 AM
For 25 bucks I would do it just to have

Your system being 32 bit will only read 3.5 of the 4.

You might not even notice a difference, I would check task manager and see how much of your ram you use while doing what ever it is you do.

But for 25 bucks its not bad

Indefinite
12-31-2008, 12:46 AM
Hey, sounds like a deal.
The only problem you may run into is that your system won't detect the whole 4GB, because of a memory allocation cap for 32bit systems, which is 4GB. It has to allocate other stuff from your mobo in the memory, so virtually the memory is just not used.

And ya, it won't hurt, considering most hardware installations are pretty straight forward.
That obviously includes not forcing stuff in.

@camino:
It's not always 3.5, it usually depends on the motherboard and how does it allocate slots and devices inside.

CrazyGerbilEater
12-31-2008, 11:26 AM
like camino said, you might not notice a difference. It should work fine with that memory.
Here are the specifications for the laptop in case you didn't know here they are. (http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/latd630/en/UG/specs.htm#wp1105750)

Deg™
12-31-2008, 11:31 AM
Not quite, ours are a bit different, but yes, that's the model it is.

AgentGOD
12-31-2008, 07:28 PM
For 25 bucks I would do it just to have

Your system being 32 bit will only read 3.5 of the 4.

You might not even notice a difference, I would check task manager and see how much of your ram you use while doing what ever it is you do.

But for 25 bucks its not bad
It could be anywhere between 2.5 GB to 3.5 GB. Depends on the motherboard, and the graphics card installed.

The best thing to do would be upgrading to a 64-bit OS so all of the RAM is usable.