PDA

View Full Version : Which operating system do you like better?

BXRu2Death
12-08-2008, 05:01 PM
I got into a big conversation about this with some friends at some point,
and wanted to know what you guys thought.

Shimano
12-08-2008, 05:05 PM
Windows cuz its the ****

ProtomanMt
12-08-2008, 05:18 PM
LMAO! I got into a huge debate with my friend too about this ****! Obviously, I was in favor of windows because mac is just plain and doesn't seem to offer what Windows does for me.

Shimano
12-08-2008, 05:20 PM
Windows is good for everything except hosting servers, and all mac is good for is writing and editing photos. Basically mac = hippy comp

CrazyGerbilEater
12-08-2008, 07:11 PM
windows supports everything, hard to beat that.

Logos
12-09-2008, 04:06 AM
I would use an open (free) operating system, if everything (most things) were supported on them (including the latest the 3D games). Unfortunately, this is not the case. So I'd have to go with Windows, just because of compatibility. This is most likely the case for a majority of us computer enthusiasts except for the most hard-core open source advocates (and possibly non-gamers). But I can't really say I like Windows, so for that reason I'll abstain from voting. (I use it because of its market domination, not because I think it's superior per se.)

el-camino-ss
12-09-2008, 04:21 AM
windows supports everything, hard to beat that.

GL getting any decent wifi cracking programs in windows.

Dyndrilliac
12-09-2008, 04:32 AM
GL getting any decent wifi cracking programs in windows.That's what Linux LIVE CD's and USB sticks are for. Better than any emulator, and you can use it on top of Windows like an abstraction layer.

el-camino-ss
12-09-2008, 04:45 AM
That's what Linux LIVE CD's and USB sticks are for. Better than any emulator, and you can use it on top of Windows like an abstraction layer.

Yep, I have BT3 on a flash drive less then 2 feet away :-p

Indefinite
12-09-2008, 07:34 AM
Depends on what you're going to do on your box.
To make things short, I don't care about the operating system, as long as it does what I want it to do.

However, one particular system is better than the other in a specific area of, let's call it, expertise.
For example, Linux is definitely more flexible, stable and secure than Windows is and it definitely does better in whatever offensive/defensive security and server works.
However, if you're more of a gamer, you'd definitely pick Windows. Considering it has DirectX modules built in and that at least half of the games are written specifially for D3D, it works slightly better than Wine emulation for Linux.

But the bottom line is that there's no need to be OS-specific right now. You have all kinds of emulations, virtualizations and liveCDs that make it easier for you to do stuff you can't do either on Windows or Linux/Mac.

Aiur
12-09-2008, 01:41 PM
I prefer Windows, but Linux is fine too.

Kenshyn
12-09-2008, 02:16 PM
Windows, please.
Never been on a Mac or Linux, so, Windows, of course.

CrazyGerbilEater
12-09-2008, 02:18 PM
noone in may neighborhood has wifi I can detect, but one guy i get a small signal from, and I've already figured out that password.

and yes, running linux on USB sticks is great.

Indefinite
12-09-2008, 03:31 PM
Running Linux liveboots is great.
Running Linux is even greater once you decently set it up.

Eppie
12-09-2008, 06:12 PM
XP FTW.

12-09-2008, 07:53 PM
Windows XP Service Pack 3 for me
I am also thinking of having Mac