PDA

View Full Version : Help me set up a dualboot for my laptop? (Vista + Linux)

lpxxfaintxx
11-26-2008, 10:41 PM
I did the first step and partitioned my HD, but I can't seem to get my computer to "boot from the CD." I probably sound EXTREMELY noobish I right now, but how the hell do I boot from a CD? I downloaded the Ubuntu image file and burned it onto a CD, and I booted my computer with that CD in. LMAO, oh dear.

MiCrOz
11-26-2008, 10:43 PM
Boot into your BIOS and change your boot order. Right now it's probably setup to check the HDD before the CDROM. Switch it so CDROM is before HDD

lpxxfaintxx
11-26-2008, 10:45 PM
Doh! Can't believe I haven't thought of that. I'll try that, thanks.

applesauce
11-28-2008, 06:12 AM
How to dual-boot Vista with Linux (Vista installed first) -- the step-by-step guide with screenshots (http://apcmag.com/how_to_dualboot_vista_with_linux_vista_installed_f irst.htm)

You won't regret doing it either... If you have Wireless issues out-of-box, just stick with it until you figure it out. I don't go on linux often, but when I do I'm always glad it's there... Funny how often I can wreck vista :)

lpxxfaintxx
11-28-2008, 09:08 AM
Err yea, I should've updated the thread. Okay, so this is what happened. 2 Nights ago I went ahead and tried to dualboot Vista and Ubuntu, but something went terribly wrong. I'm pretty sure I did everything correctly (followed a guide similar to what Apple posted), but I could not boot into Vista. Ubuntu booted fine, but after spending 6 hours trying to fix Vista, I said f**k it and I reformatted my computer.

I'm staying away from Linux, for now.