PDA

View Full Version : Ever break computer parts?

Siege-Tank
04-07-2005, 01:42 AM
Well I just saw this when I was looking for a cheap monitor.

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=100719-3&ps=ho6

Wish I had $400 so I could buy that and a new LCD monitor but that reminded me of my old hard drive. After downloading constantly and leaving my computer on for most of the year my hard drive broke. Just like that it went out. Blue screen of death with a device failure. It was only the second hard drive but I lost 100+ gigabytes of downloaded stuff. And somehow everything on the first hard drive got corrupted. The only thing left standing afterwards was McAfee. Everything else was completely destroyed.

And the PNY ram... I will never buy that again. After only a month I got a blue screen of death with a device failure. I did leave the computer on most of the time but come on. I was so mad because they make you send in the receipt to get a rebate so I didn't have it to get a refund.

Also broke my friend?s motherboard. We tried to take the heatsink off the processor on his old motherboard and the whole processor came out with it breaking the socket. But it was all good cause the processor was still ok and the old motherboard was insanely dated.

I know someone out there has an insane story where their whole computer goes up in flames and I wanna hear it hehe.

Dr. Silence
04-07-2005, 02:10 AM
My tera bite HD owns that....

IversonAli3
04-07-2005, 10:52 AM
When my hard drive crapped out on me, heres what I did. I went to best buy and bought a 120 gb hard drive. I then put my old 40 gb hard drive in the box and returned it for my money back. :)
Works with ram and video cards too!

FireXtol
04-07-2005, 10:56 AM
You should have multiple harddrives. One as a cache drive, that you don't care if it fragments, then a system drive, for your OS, and program files, temp files possibly, etc. Then storage drive(s) to copy from your cache drive(s). This keeps fragmentations very low on your storage drives, get something like O&O defrag, and defrag by date (my choice) when you do. This'll keep your drive's rotor going for a long time! Also DO NOT BLOCK THE BREATHER HOLE! It's bound to fail if you do.

disco
04-07-2005, 11:16 AM
I need a new hd, do they have laptop stuff? Or is it all the same...

IversonAli3
04-07-2005, 11:55 AM
They have laptop Hd's on bestbuy.com, Im pretty sure they carry them in their stores. Im not sure though.

Siege-Tank
04-07-2005, 12:17 PM
When my hard drive crapped out on me, heres what I did. I went to best buy and bought a 120 gb hard drive. I then put my old 40 gb hard drive in the box and returned it for my money back. :)
Damn? My warranty ran out.

Bah. You guys are no fun. I wanted to hear some crazy stories. I heard one over at gamethreat where a faulty power supply took out their whole computer. Flames burst out and everything. He had to bust out with a fire extinguisher and ruined the whole computer.

My tera bite HD owns that....
Is that even possibile?

http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php/masterid=3208992/mode=googlegfcp/
Omg... With 32MB cache...

http://www2.shopping.com/xGS-terabyte_hard_drive~NS-1~linkin_id-3062090
Lol I had no idea.

There must just be a bunch of small hard drives raided together in those things.

Sinz
04-07-2005, 04:00 PM
:rolleyes: Computer parts would that inclde the computer itslef cause i went and accidently broke the last one i had

LCS
04-07-2005, 04:12 PM
Ok, I've kicked my brother's computer, and it knocked his cd drive into the case. (~2 years ago.)
Me and some of my friends took a computer monitor (old ****ty one) and beat it with a golf club, then the golf club broke, then we used a lacrosse shaft, then to finish it off we threw if off the top of a bathroom in the church parkinglot by our school. (About 2 months ago.)
I've also broken 2 or 3 mouses.

Hmm, I think those are the only computer parts I've broken :/:.

K? Pŕo?ćtiόnŹ
04-07-2005, 04:39 PM
Ive killed 7 people with floppy disks drives, and in the process I broke them. Does that count?

arpsmack
04-07-2005, 05:17 PM
I put a CD in the microwave one time. Then, all the sudden, flames spewed out of my roommate's ass and destroyed half the room... and killed his girlfriend... and my hampster. I'd say that was pretty crazy.

Trans_Am77
04-07-2005, 05:28 PM
:clap: Thats ingenious :clap:

Marine6592
04-07-2005, 07:19 PM

That's wrong on so many levels... but it's a great idea. I did it with a pen drive (upgraded to a USB 2.0 version).