PDA

View Full Version : Terran as a beginner

KazeCloud
06-12-2008, 06:55 PM
Hi. I usually want to be a Terran. However I'm not very good and after much research I have seen that Terran needs to have lots of micro to be adequate compared to Protoss who doesn't need much and can still hold its own. So I was wondering, will Terran always have to use primordial defense methods like walling in and using an scv to cover up marine kind of tricks? Should I start with Protoss? For example, I forced my 12 year old brother who have no interest in playing to play Protoss vs my Terran. I lost 3 times in a row and I was doing full metal and he was just doing regular Zealots and Dragoons with no build order.

So get some general strategy to the Terran race vs Zerg and Protoss. I only know I have to go biological vs Zerg, while Metal vs Protoss. But I have no idea how to use the bio and metal.

lpxxfaintxx
06-12-2008, 07:02 PM
Here is my terran strategy. It's pretty good, in the sense that it will defend the first few attacks. From there, you're on your own. (Fastest map)

(all done right in front of base)

1. Make 5 SCV's on mineral
2. Make supply depot off to the side with 6th
3. Mineral with 7th
4. Barrack with 8th
5. Barrack with 9th
6. Bunker behind barracks with 10th
7. etc.

Personally, I make 9 barracks and pump out marines and medics, while protoss is pumping out zealots. Rines + Medics own zealots, remember that. As you are massing, try your best to make a transition to factories and pump out tanks asap. Make sure to protect yourself from DT's and lurks as well.

Bunkers + SCV's are really important to the Terran defense early in the game, take advantage of it.

CrazyGerbilEater
06-12-2008, 07:16 PM
i do it slightly differently, but im a worse melee player

make scv's, when you have enough money, send one to the entrance, or an entrance, and begin walling with depots, the next scv makes the barracks behind the wall a bit, then the next helps out with the walling. the walls hould be done by the time the rack is done. then start pumping out marines, and building bunks behind the wall.

thatll hold off most land attacks early game easily. then you havetime to build whatever types of things you want.
the next approach is whatever you want really.
build a starport, and drop firebats on their minerals. or just drop meds and rines in their base. keeping a steady stream of drops is important to victory, adjusting where you drop can be benificial. seiged tanks are great behind walls of rines and meds. cloaked wraiths can annoy them, as you prick weak spots without detectors.

but im not very good at melee, but walls and bunks(n tanks) really hamper land attacks well. lots of multitasking to take them out, or tons of units if used well.

i get worse later game though, as i cant keep momentum up after about 6 minutes into melee games. i own ums maps though ftw lol.

KazeCloud
06-12-2008, 08:01 PM
Thanks for those strategies. I will try to play the computer with them and tell you guys how it goes. :redface:

Edit: Its very frustrating to see that Terran is such a hard race to play. There is no doubt about it no matter what people have to say. Look at GosuGamers' replays. Most of the 80% of the Terran always loses no matter what race they are playing against. Often times when the apm is listed, the Terran's apm is higher. What is the deal with this? That really discourages me.

Oh and then when Terran does win. People comment about how the other player sucks. -__-

hba
06-12-2008, 08:05 PM
Moved to SC1.

han_han
06-13-2008, 03:40 PM
It really depends on the map you're playing. Don't full wall unless you're playing a money map, common sense, etc.

Don't pass up micro just because it takes practice. Micro is an essential part of melee starcraft play. I don't know where you got your info, but protoss without micro is also useless (imagine a horde of zealots running around a terran depot wall with loaded bunkers inside of it), I don't see how it "holds its own" without micro. I suggest you start practicing simple micro techniques, such as luring and dancing. Eventually you'll have to learn it if you want to become a good starcraft player.

You don't always have to go metal vs toss, because if all the toss is doing is zlot pushing, get some bats and meds and you own their army. Dragoons and zlots? If they have any significant number you should have already scouted them and you should be able to spidermine wtf assrape them. Just remember that pretty much any tactic or strategy has a counter to it, and it's the micro that tips the balance one way or another.

BTW, terrans don't always have to wall in. There IS such a thing as rushing you know. I've done plenty of rine rushes without walling in. I've done M&M rushes, Fb/med rushes, etc. It all depends on circumstance, and you want to be flexible. Scouting is a major part of early gameplay, but with maphack that becomes a lot easier.

Spsolo
06-13-2008, 04:26 PM
Dont be terran : )

no.ty
06-13-2008, 07:15 PM
Starcraft pro-gaming news (http://teamliquid.net/)

Strategy section. Gogo

Loser777
06-13-2008, 07:49 PM
Different matchups are different difficulty levels imo...
My easiest is TvZ, then TvP, then TVT...
When playing money maps, I have impeccable build orders...
But I don't play money maps because when you have 240apm... macro isn't a problem...
I'm still struggling to win games on Python though... Dammit.

I need to learn some good build orders, because I'm good enough micro-wise... sunken busts... vultures... no problemo

(If you didn't catch it in the post, I'm up for a challenge ;) )

KazeCloud
06-13-2008, 08:37 PM
You mean you want to play me? I'm not very good at all. Haha.

Thanks for the advice. I got much better after I read just a few key tips. However no where close to being average.

I don't play money maps because I heard they were for noobs. I don't like the idea of constant money either.

AnAlbinoAligator
07-08-2008, 02:28 PM
I find use oblivion and if you use it than put on auto que and make scvs mine than right when u get enough mins make barrax then with next scv make supply when barracks done get another scv and make 2 more while making rines and i find that a good strategy to use and depending on how many people u might wanna put something infront of ur base for them to attack to buy u a little more time

BboyGhost
07-17-2008, 12:29 PM
that brings up another question for me, one that is striving for a good build order,
is making a depot at 8 a good idea or no?

RedSandSasori
07-17-2008, 01:17 PM
that brings up another question for me, one that is striving for a good build order,
is making a depot at 8 a good idea or no?

Well thats what I do all the time and once its done I have it mine then have the next scv thats done make another 1 its like a cycle.
Once its done with the building have it mine then have the next 1 that finishes start making another 1.