PDA

View Full Version : What is the United States?

Deg™
02-20-2008, 06:01 PM
In my government class, we've been discussing whether or not we are a Republic or a Democracy. I'll hold off my arguments and opinions until i hear some of yours.

What do you think we are?

Three Pointed Infinity
02-20-2008, 06:28 PM
I'm Thinkin that the U.S. is a democracy because they say they are and my history book says so. But I guess they could be a republic.

kamikaze
02-20-2008, 06:38 PM
A mixture of both? Can we get that as an option please? Or a representative democracy, as you can tell I just know the basics of our government.

gevorgkhc
02-20-2008, 06:45 PM
It's a democratic republic.

Deg™
02-20-2008, 06:56 PM
A mixture of both? Can we get that as an option please? Or a representative democracy, as you can tell I just know the basics of our government.

It's a democratic republic.

A representative democracy is essentially a republic, and a democratic republic would be a contradiction.

A classic democracy is dictated by the masses, a classic republic is dictated by the representatives of the masses.

The United States has some aspects unlike a Republic, however, in that we are alloted many more freedoms than those in the Roman or Greek Republics. We also have representatives, which is more indicative of a Republic, not a Democracy.

The founders sought to mix classical republicanism with Locke's natural rights philosophy, thus making us a modified republic. The founders wanted to avoid a democracy because they knew that they always implode when used on a large scale. When giving power to the rich, they oppress the poor, when giving power to the poor, they oppress the rich; this is why pure majority rule was avoided.

Empathy
02-20-2008, 07:19 PM
The US Government is obviously a Democratic Republic. Its not hard to grasp the idea that a government can consist of two forms of representation without failure.

Deg™
02-20-2008, 08:28 PM
The US Government is obviously a Democratic Republic. Its not hard to grasp the idea that a government can consist of two forms of representation without failure.

We only have popular vote for electing representatives, which still makes us a republic.

Empathy
02-20-2008, 09:11 PM
Yes but a majority has to allow the said people to represent the masses. Thus following the rules of commonly known Democracy.

Mobilus
02-21-2008, 09:31 AM
I am hesitant to call the US a democratic republic. We have so little voter participation because our government is so utterly corrupt and our election process is so obtuse and mired in problems.

Even though we have a reliable ATM banking system around the country with paper trails and proper transactions, we still do not demand perfect voter machine systems with paper receipts?!

The electoral college has created such a huge disparity that small states are over-represented and large states like CA are lacking 15-20 extra electoral votes that they can't get because the number of the house of rep.s was locked in place at 435 in 1914 and small states can't lose their last Rep. no matter how small they get in relation to bigger states. Right now less than 40% of the population controls over 52% of the government and electoral vote.

Empathy
02-21-2008, 10:38 AM
Voter participation has nothing to do with how little, or much, or government is corrupt. People, in my opinion, are ignorant of their own duties and powers to keep the government in check. So if anything its the people fault for having such a slimy bunch of baboons dictate out 'wishes'.

Althought I do agree with the problems in our Electoral College, it has a few flaws but they can be fixed over time. Another problem people say they have is the lack of fair representation of the people in the college, as if 51% voted for Obama (In a presidential election) and 49% voted McCain that 49% would be disregarded. Which makes little to no sense as peoples voices are being shushed.

Mobilus
02-21-2008, 11:44 AM
There is a reason we have arrived at our current level of civil stupidity and citizen apathy regarding government: the system was designed to involve the "masses" as little as possible and be incredibly complex to discourage their interest. Over 200+ years we have arrived in our current civic culture.

About the winner take all, that is exactly why a parliamentary system would be better. Not only would the executive be accountable to the legislature since he would be a MEMBER of it, but those 49% of people would have a voice in the amount of MPs they get elected, even if it isn't the majority party.

Three Pointed Infinity
02-22-2008, 03:44 PM
The United States is so overly spoiled by it's government, that if it's government were to be carrieing out black flag op's on itself the people would blame whoever the leader at the time blames it on. For example. The WTC bombing was blamed on the Alquieda and the middle east in general. At the time, the president (Bush I think is his name) had 71% of the people on his side. Now, he has almost none due to the war wearieness and is probalbly going to kill some people and put blame somewhere else.

And again, the people will have no idea until it's too late.

John
02-22-2008, 04:28 PM
Just think about the pledge of allegiance then you will get your answer.

If you don't know the pledge of allegiance (which is common because of the dumb school systems) I suggest you google it.

unimailer1972
02-22-2008, 05:06 PM
Federal Constitutional Republic.

Deg™
02-24-2008, 09:05 AM
The United States is so overly spoiled by it's government, that if it's government were to be carrieing out black flag op's on itself the people would blame whoever the leader at the time blames it on. For example. The WTC bombing was blamed on the Alquieda and the middle east in general. At the time, the president (Bush I think is his name) had 71% of the people on his side. Now, he has almost none due to the war wearieness and is probalbly going to kill some people and put blame somewhere else.

And again, the people will have no idea until it's too late.

You should stay the **** out of serious discussion unless you can learn to spell and/or think logically.

Sir_Winkey
02-29-2008, 07:07 AM
To have a literal democracy is completely impossible in a political system containing more than a few people. All "democracies" are really republics. In a republic, the people elect representatives to make and enforce laws.

The United States is a republic.

Pete_Zahut
02-29-2008, 03:23 PM
The US is the greatest ****ing country in the whole wide world.

But I say its a Democratic Republic