PDA

View Full Version : Hosting Latency..

cowpoop2
02-07-2008, 04:10 PM
I have a very fast connection (Verizon FioS Cable) and I ping well to Bnet channels as well as every other online game. However when I try to host a game, it always tells people the game has high latency. Why is this? I have a faster connection than everyone else that I played with that can host. I don't use a firewall or anything that would block SC / Bnet.

Any suggestions?

braind damage
02-07-2008, 04:30 PM
Port forwarding. Why do people never search?
PortForward.com - Free Help Setting up Your Router or Firewall (http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/routerindex.htm)
Find your router. Click on Starcraft. Follow the directions.

cowpoop2
02-07-2008, 05:36 PM
Port forwarding. Why do people never search?
PortForward.com - Free Help Setting up Your Router or Firewall (http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/routerindex.htm)
Find your router. Click on Starcraft. Follow the directions.
Yeah I went to that after I posted. The thing is when I go to put the info from ipconfig /all into my network connections thing my internet no longer works (i also only get 1 DNS result and it asks for 2)

Iris
02-08-2008, 05:41 PM
List the brand of your router, if you use one, and also what firewalls you have running on your system right now. Those are the 2 major causes of high latency when hosting.

EyeOfFire
02-09-2008, 06:10 AM
Yeah I went to that after I posted. The thing is when I go to put the info from ipconfig /all into my network connections thing my internet no longer works (i also only get 1 DNS result and it asks for 2)
You just answered your first sentence with your second. If you only have one, you only need one.

cowpoop2
02-09-2008, 09:54 AM
List the brand of your router, if you use one, and also what firewalls you have running on your system right now. Those are the 2 major causes of high latency when hosting.
It's verizon's router. Brand = Actiontec MI424-WR
I'm not using a firewall.

You just answered your first sentence with your second. If you only have one, you only need one.
Well then if I only need one, how come then I apply settings my internet goes out?

02-09-2008, 10:08 AM
same thing happens with me no1 can join my games because of latency but i never lag when i go in games ppl make

Deg™
02-09-2008, 10:12 AM
Post screenshots of your /ipconfig all, your port forwarding screen, and your TCP/IP protocol configurations. I'm positive you just ****ed something up.

Ideal Maxima
02-09-2008, 10:36 AM
My guess is you don't have a modem, nor a router, but a gateway (Verizon gave me a gateway anyway). Put 192.168.1.1 into your address bar on your internet browser (Firefox or Internet Explorer, I'm assuming) and access your gateway (Same thing as a router). Go to Security, then Applications. Then find your computer and forward Starcraft. Hit apply, and you're done.

LiChE
02-09-2008, 10:48 AM
As the others have stated, try opening your ports. Usually if you have DSL (I know you don't, just saying), your connection might screw up because of the filters.

cowpoop2
02-09-2008, 12:37 PM
My guess is you don't have a modem, nor a router, but a gateway (Verizon gave me a gateway anyway). Put 192.168.1.1 into your address bar on your internet browser (Firefox or Internet Explorer, I'm assuming) and access your gateway (Same thing as a router). Go to Security, then Applications. Then find your computer and forward Starcraft. Hit apply, and you're done.
Thanks a bunch! Portfoward had told me to put in the wrong IP into my address, but 192.168.1.1 is the correct one (they told me .0.1 i believe). That's why it wasn't working.

I forwarded the ports following the rest of portforward.com's directions and it seems to work as two friends joined my game, but no1 seems to join my other games =/

Ideal Maxima
02-09-2008, 01:41 PM
Yeah, people are gay on b.net like that. Sometimes they just don't want to join :( Nothing to do with your connection though bud.

cowpoop2
02-10-2008, 11:20 AM
Yeah, people are gay on b.net like that. Sometimes they just don't want to join :( Nothing to do with your connection though bud.
Someone today told me I had high lat..

Shocker
02-10-2008, 11:37 AM
that happens to me too.. i have very fast connection and i dont lag... but when i create it always says i have high latency

Ideal Maxima
02-10-2008, 11:38 AM
Reapply rules? Sometimes connection goes gay and resets. Remove your Starcraft rule, and reapply it.

cowpoop2
02-10-2008, 03:57 PM
Hm, I applied it to my XP username instead of entering my IP and it reset my internet real quick (disconnected from Xfire and AIM) and it seems to be working, hosted two games.
Thanks =P