PDA

View Full Version : Online Gaming Improvement!

Yoshiman03
02-05-2008, 04:20 AM
Well because I'm in Australia (so very far away <.<) I don't always get the standard of gaming that others receive, I have a few problems generally all about the same thing, but I need some tips in order to improve/fix these problems.

1. I can never host, my Latency is always to high
2. I have slow dl time, takes me ages to download maps
3. sometimes all the other games have maxed red bars and I can never join, because the creators latency is too high (does this appear to people in other countries or is it because I'm so far away?)

Yeh there the questions, I'm guessing it will be related to my internet connection or maybe firewall settings, if anyone can give me some tips or solutions to my problem(s), it would be EXTREMELY appreciated.

~Yoshiman03

Tensaei
02-05-2008, 06:32 AM
1. First thing that comes to mind when you have hosting problems is to open certain ports for StarCraft.
Go >>here<< (http://www.portforward.com/english/applications/port_forwarding/Starcraft/Starcraftindex.htm) and select the modem/router (never knew the difference) that you have. Follow the instructions and see if you can host. If not, you probably need a >>Static IP<< (http://portforward.com/networking/staticip.htm). (I know this did the trick for me.)

2. Have you tried playing different servers and seeing how well that goes? Usually slow downloads are tied with opening proper ports, so I suppose #1 would possibly solve this problem.

3. Usually when hosts has all red bars, that usually means you have red bars. Can be solved by #1.

BD-ICY
02-05-2008, 09:40 AM
I've Noticed at Night(Daytime in Aussie) that people just host games and go afk in the lobby...and after a while they get 6r...so some of those games you can't join are just afk people

Zhuinden
02-05-2008, 11:00 AM
I think I'm from Hungary and I'm just as far away as Australia except it's on the south and I'm on the north, but otherwise, I think you either have a too slow connection (cough dial-up cough) or you have a router which doesn't allow 6112-6119 on your comp. Or a firewall that doesn't let packages go free.