PDA

View Full Version : clicking noises

CrazyGerbilEater
11-16-2007, 02:00 PM
ok, im scared
my computer is making clicking noises, fairly loud ones, with kind of liker sothing is spinning, it hits somthing n slows down, then picks up speed again in like half a sec

ideas?(its happeneing like 5 times every 10 seconds

Raven Syndrome
11-16-2007, 02:12 PM
Open it up and look at your fan positioning, when this happened to me one of the fans was out of place and kept hitting my hard disk.

One other thing that could be happening is you have a faulty CD drive, A friend decided to take my drive out for fun and ever since when it has trouble reading a disk it clicks once or twice a second (but that is with a laptop, which I assume you're not using?).

Logos
11-16-2007, 02:45 PM
The most annoying clicking noises are caused by dying hard-drives. However it might just as well be a faulty fan (the bearing may very well be just fine, it could be the blades are hitting some cables or something though), FDD or ODD or something.

Anyway, run SMART checks and other diagnostics on your HDDs. Check your HDD manufacturer's web site for tools or just google it.

CrazyGerbilEater
11-17-2007, 03:49 PM
Logos if only i read that post last night, maybe i could have put all that stuff on my new hd. So now its pretty much junk, my main 6 year old drive junked out this morning. and now i cant boot up into xp, cuz that was installed into that drive.
I dont know much about this now, i switched everything around so now only my new drive is connected, and its all connected correctly n everything. I tried to install xp onto it, and that failed with TRAP error or some ****, so now im working off a live cd.

what i need to know is if/how i can put xp onto my working drive so i can just boot up with that one.
and if theres anyway to recover stuff from a dead drive, and how to do that if it is possible.

Logos
11-17-2007, 08:43 PM
Logos if only i read that post last night, maybe i could have put all that stuff on my new hd. So now its pretty much junk, my main 6 year old drive junked out this morning. and now i cant boot up into xp, cuz that was installed into that drive.
I dont know much about this now, i switched everything around so now only my new drive is connected, and its all connected correctly n everything. I tried to install xp onto it, and that failed with TRAP error or some ****, so now im working off a live cd.

what i need to know is if/how i can put xp onto my working drive so i can just boot up with that one.
and if theres anyway to recover stuff from a dead drive, and how to do that if it is possible.It's possible to recover the data from a dead HDD (most of the time at least), there are companies that specialize in this. You wouldn't want to try whatever they do at home though and it usually costs a lot. You could always try, though, to boot from the working drive and copy certain data from the faulty drive. Sometimes this works.

There are also some other things you could try such as freezing your HDD to, perhaps, get some more life out of it. (Don't expect much though if it works and I don't know if it does, it's only a myth really. Might be worth a try though if all else fails and you don't have the $$$ to send it away for data recovery.) Or simply some rest for the drive may earn you a few minutes.

Are you sure the drive is working correctly? You may want to try disk diagnostics on the new one, just in case. If it's a SATA drive, did you make sure to install SATA drivers during setup (using F6), as it's required sometimes?

Also, google the TRAP error. Might find something useful.

Good luck!

lpxxfaintxx
11-17-2007, 08:46 PM
My computer's been making those noises for over a year now. I guess mines a fan issue...

Logos
11-17-2007, 08:56 PM
My computer's been making those noises for over a year now. I guess mines a fan issue...You better find out.

Try to isolate the fan or fans and replace them. Also run disk diagnostics just in case.

CrazyGerbilEater
11-18-2007, 07:45 PM
yeah the drive is completly dead, i tried recovering data from it by pluging it and accessing it, no go.
I decided to just grab a hard drive from my grandma's old comp, formating it and installing xp on it. Me n my dad will take in the hard drive later i guess, sucks, alot of **** on that one. but itd suck more if my other frice died, cuz that one has all my music, games, movies, and open source programs on it.
but i lost all my personal settings n ****.

oh well, thanks for help, problem solved i guess

dragonnas
11-18-2007, 08:06 PM
Click of death (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Click_of_death)