PDA

View Full Version : Help with Physics Project

my_face_is
10-26-2007, 02:34 AM
sorry for asking about another project :)
but i have to make a car powered by a 6'' piece of latex tubing, and ill have the rest of the rules later, but i don't even know where to start....he said his average car goes at least 150 meters...and i dont even know how to power the thing...all he uses is wood, screws, and a few other household items....
if you have any ideas on how to do this im all ears
THANK YOU SO MUCH :wub: :wub: :wub:

howardmeis
10-26-2007, 01:18 PM
Ooooooooo trying to cheat?! Imma tell Mr. Holder!!

So glad I dropped AP Physics and am taking Zoology, I get to literally SLEEP in that class lol.

Otaku
10-26-2007, 01:25 PM
So glad I dropped AP Physics and am taking Zoology, I get to literally SLEEP in that class lol.

I'll bet. You might have to think.

The car is powered by the mechanical energy in the latex tubing when you put your energy into its potential energy.

YonderKnight
10-26-2007, 04:33 PM
Yeah, use the tubing as a spring.

Or you can get create and use it as fuel for an engine....=p.

my_face_is
10-26-2007, 06:18 PM
great so i have an idea behind it...only im not smart enough at all to be in the physics class...so i dont know how to make the car at all :D

OmegaMatrix
10-26-2007, 06:35 PM
Cut one side of the tube, allowing you to unroll it. Put a stick in the middle and on the two ends, making it like a sail. Blow.

my_face_is
10-26-2007, 06:47 PM
lol....serious suggestions only plz

gamepin126
10-26-2007, 06:54 PM
Did she say the car can't have a propeller? Just put a rod in there, wind it up and let go

my_face_is
10-26-2007, 06:57 PM
that could work theres no rules against a propeller, but im an idiot so if u could provide some detail as to how to make the whole car, id have much butt secks with you :D

dragonnas
10-26-2007, 07:00 PM
Use vaseline with the latex in a closed-air environment. The vaseline will attack the latex, dissolving it and give off a gas which can be used (perhaps with a balloon?) to blow air out the back of the vehicle thus propelling it.

IversonAli3
10-27-2007, 11:48 PM
Cut the latex down the middle. Wrap one end of the latex around the rear axle counterclockwise at high tension(or just roll the car backwards), and attach the other end to the front end of the body. Use large rear wheels with smaller front wheels. Its going to create a lot of torque and acceleration, and you have to minimize friction at the axle-body joints so that it can go a long way with just momentum.

ViperSRT3g
10-27-2007, 11:58 PM
If you follow Iverson's design, which I think is what youir teacher intended for you guys to come up with, you should make sure the front is heavy. This design generally makes the car want to do a back flip and go backwards... That is, if you wind it up too much, or it's not heavy enough.

my_face_is
10-28-2007, 07:29 AM
ty very much iverson, but what should i use to make the car?

CrazyGerbilEater
10-28-2007, 12:48 PM
lube in the C02 and hide it, pop the back when noones looking and watch it fly

use wood

IversonAli3
10-28-2007, 08:45 PM
ty very much iverson, but what should i use to make the car?
What guidelines did your teacher give you?

han_han
10-28-2007, 09:29 PM
Well from what I see "household items" you could actually just use propellants from ordinary household chemicals.

my_face_is
10-29-2007, 06:27 PM
to iverson* he pretty much said no motors, no electricity, no gases or liquids can help it move but if they reduce friction they are allowed, and the car must stay ont he ground (for the most part) while its in motion **no catapults** and thats pretty much it...make it out of w/e u think and good luck figuring out how to power it