PDA

View Full Version : Good Linux Distro?

YonderKnight
07-06-2007, 01:47 PM
I recently installed ubuntu linux on my comp since everyone recommended it and stuff. I was getting used to everything, installed fluxbox, customized everything around, but I noticed it ran slow as hell. I posted on ubuntuforums.org and they said it's probably because I only have 256mb of ram.

So, does anybody know of another distro that doesnt' require so much RAM, but is still pretty user-friendly? Do most distros have a packaging system like APT, or do you have to compile from source for other distros?

My system specs are:
1.8ghz Pentium 4 processor,
256mb RAM
nvidia geForce2 graphics card

I'd like a distro which runs as fast or faster than windows XP does, and supports a lot of popular software, and has an easy way to install new software.

Oh, and I don't want something like linspire or stuff made for windows users; the reason I want to switch to linux is to learn everything about it and eventually be a linux pro (I like the idea of being able to customize everything), not just to use it to check emails and stuff.

Thanks!

Indefinite
07-06-2007, 01:57 PM
First two distros that come to my mind, when said 'speed' are Slackware and Damn Small. You should also try to install (compile, that is) Gentoo on your box and I'd prolly recommend it for you.

Xthar
07-06-2007, 02:00 PM
go with slackware, its the best distro you can get IMO, its what i use.
http://www.slackware.com/getslack/

*eXpliCiT.
07-06-2007, 03:15 PM
Well, there are many lightweight applications you can use in ubuntu, none really pop into my head except SwiftWeasel for web browsing, and fluxbox. But Ubuntu isn't really resource heavy it runs quit fast on my machine, and I only have 512mb of RAM.

BD-ICY
07-06-2007, 03:36 PM
Linux sux thats why :o

YonderKnight
07-06-2007, 05:58 PM
Well, there are many lightweight applications you can use in ubuntu, none really pop into my head except SwiftWeasel for web browsing, and fluxbox. But Ubuntu isn't really resource heavy it runs quit fast on my machine, and I only have 512mb of RAM.

Well, firefox runs really fast in WinXP, but runs slow as hell on the same machine in linux. Therefore ubuntu linux runs slower on my machine than WinXP does, which is why I'm looking for a faster distro =p.

And I only have 256mb RAM =(.

Hrm, I'll check slackware out, Xthar, thanks.

Anybody know if Fedora Core is any good? Seems pretty popular. Also Red Hat, but I've heard from a couple people that's evil...

DSG keeps recommending Mandriva, but something that's not free doesn't seem very linux-y =\.

Thanks guys!

EDIT:
Oh, does anyone know if Debian runs faster than Ubuntu? I figure they'd be about the same since Ubuntu is based off Debian.

ParadiseFaust
07-06-2007, 06:09 PM
Zenwalk is a good noobfriendly distro of Slackware.

Xthar
07-06-2007, 08:00 PM
Debian is prolly a bit faster, its more advanced i know that. But i never used it, so i cant tell you for sure. But if i was to put money on it, i would put it on Debian.

*eXpliCiT.
07-06-2007, 09:18 PM
Well, firefox runs really fast in WinXP, but runs slow as hell on the same machine in linux. Therefore ubuntu linux runs slower on my machine than WinXP does, which is why I'm looking for a faster distro =p.

Your not running it from the live CD still are you? Because that would be the reason for the slowness. I can't imagine why firefox would run slow on a fresh install of Ubuntu, maybe you should try to install it again.

saren
07-06-2007, 10:42 PM
Debian is the most bloated version of linux (and most robust) you can get.

Don't get slackware, that's made for servers and is very unfriendly.

Ubuntu is just stripped down RHE 4. So I'd suggest going with Mandrake 7 or (if you feel lucky) SuSe.

Other than that, good ol' RH is your way to go if you aren't a guru.

My best recommendation though for operating systems for a system is windows xp currently. I just got vista on my laptop (home premium, which is ****ty and will format over with xp pro till I get a few copies of ultimate) and I wish to god I could have had them put on xp pro.

I hate **** that looks like a mac. That's why I don't buy a mac. I don't want a mac.

Xthar
07-07-2007, 09:37 AM
i wouldent recommend mandrake. Open SusE might work. But i would still go for Slackware over all.

saren
07-07-2007, 09:44 AM
You're overlooking the fact that slackware is like debian without the support. It's very intimidating to a user, especially since it comes with a ton of server-oriented default options.

Indefinite
07-07-2007, 10:26 AM
I'd still suggest Gentoo. The main reason is because it actually compiles on your system, so it's almost guaranteed it'll run stable. I think it's a perfect distro for a start, but it's also a time consuming distro, which makes it a good to learn one.

Xthar
07-07-2007, 09:50 PM
its also sluggish

YonderKnight
07-08-2007, 10:24 AM
Thanks everyone.

I kind of want something convenient, but not too noobish. I think I might take a look at slackware and if that's too complicated i guess I'll stick with Debian and hope it runs faster than Ubuntu. Maybe I'll also take a look at RedHat too.

Xthar
07-08-2007, 04:26 PM
RedHat is not really a good choice, Thats is used like 90% for servers lol.

Belphegor
07-08-2007, 08:11 PM
Debian is the most bloated version of linux (and most robust) you can get.

Don't get slackware, that's made for servers and is very unfriendly.

Ubuntu is just stripped down RHE 4. So I'd suggest going with Mandrake 7 or (if you feel lucky) SuSe.

Other than that, good ol' RH is your way to go if you aren't a guru.

My best recommendation though for operating systems for a system is windows xp currently. I just got vista on my laptop (home premium, which is ****ty and will format over with xp pro till I get a few copies of ultimate) and I wish to god I could have had them put on xp pro.

I hate **** that looks like a mac. That's why I don't buy a mac. I don't want a mac.I use linux, and support this post completely.

deathknot
07-10-2007, 06:32 AM

Ubuntu is based of Debian Unstable and pulls the latest packages from time to time and updates some.

YonderKnight
07-11-2007, 08:37 AM
Wtf, the default slackware installation is like 4.5GB. I was expecting something a lot more "lite".

I'm going to try out Mandriva then. Does anybody know how the free version is? I don't feel like pirating the commercial version =p. It's a crime against humanity to pirate a version of linux... e.e.

homebrew89
07-11-2007, 10:56 PM
Get Gentoo dogg.

brietje698
07-14-2007, 02:57 AM
Get BackTrack2 (Google for it)

saren
07-14-2007, 03:44 AM
Ubuntu is based of Debian Unstable and pulls the latest packages from time to time and updates some.

I should mention I wasn't saying Ubuntu came from the RH4 kernel, but rather that it was a poor attempt at something like RHE 4,

Redhat is by far the best distro of user friendly linux.

....Still though, iwindows xp or vista ultimate is the way to go, especially with MS' new unix emulator that runs inside of Vista.

-187-
09-09-2007, 07:04 PM
so red hat linux = way to go? I got a ps2 sdk but they are all in linux format and cant get them to work in cygwin >.>

Eppie
09-09-2007, 07:07 PM
DreamLinux

Xthar
09-10-2007, 11:48 AM
slackware is still my favorite distro.
http://i7.tinypic.com/4mv4n4o.png

gamepin126
09-10-2007, 03:54 PM
I don't understand why every screenshot of a linux desktop has a terminal window open in it. Is it like some epeen thing?

Eppie
09-10-2007, 03:57 PM
Just for the idiots:

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Transwiki:Epeen

gamepin126
09-10-2007, 03:59 PM
Just for the idiots:

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Transwiki:Epeen

/facepalm

Eppie
09-10-2007, 04:06 PM
Also for the idiots:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=facepalm

lol.

el-camino-ss
09-10-2007, 04:18 PM
use backtrack 2

saren
09-10-2007, 05:05 PM
/facepalm

You must not use linux or any unix variant much. You do a majority of things through the command prompt since the graphical tools aren't typically robust. Even in Fedora Core 7.9 you can't change a hostname effectively through the GUI and have to use the terminal.

It's okay. You're pretty much ignorant of most technical aspects of anything related to operating systems as you've demonstrated countless times in the past. I won't hold it against you.

gamepin126
09-10-2007, 05:06 PM
You must not use linux or any unix variant much.

Correct. Thanks for explaining.

Eppie
09-10-2007, 05:10 PM
You must not use linux or any unix variant much. You do a majority of things through the command prompt since the graphical tools aren't typically robust. Even in Fedora Core 7.9 you can't change a hostname effectively through the GUI and have to use the terminal.

It's okay. You're pretty much ignorant of most technical aspects of anything related to operating systems as you've demonstrated countless times in the past. I won't hold it against you.

OOOOOHHH..... BURNT!

saren
09-10-2007, 05:17 PM
OOOOOHHH..... BURNT!

You aren't permitted to declare what does or does not burn gamepin. You're not even a roach on the kitchen floor that is this forum. So, kindly shut your mouth so as to turn off that mind-killing ray of stupid that strikes us dumbfounded each and every time you sound off with one of your ignorant, pathetic excuses for a vapid attempt at basic communication.

Eppie
09-10-2007, 05:20 PM
OOOOOHHH..... BURNT!

gamepin126
09-10-2007, 05:37 PM
You aren't permitted to declare what does or does not burn gamepin.

you know saren, some people could take this the wrong way

http://www.getsmile.com/emoticons/smileys-91853/aiw/blush2.gif

saren
09-10-2007, 05:38 PM
Regardless, the correct answer to that is 'holy water.'

n0.obAtroN
10-14-2007, 09:42 PM
If your looking for a super lightweight/fast linux distro go for slax: http://www.slax.org/
I can get my laptop to boot in 7 seconds with it :)
BackTrack2 is based on slax and just as fast, a little mor stable: http://www.remote-exploit.org/backtrack.html

Although if you know how to tweak your linux installation you can get the boot time under 10 seconds on any distro.

el-camino-ss
10-15-2007, 09:53 PM
yes because this isnt old....