PDA

View Full Version : Fluxbox

Super
06-20-2007, 09:58 AM
Ya, so I installed it and it looks all nice, but how do you view your files? I mean, when I save something to the desktop, it's not there. I can't even find where to access my other hard drive at.

Anyone?

homebrew89
06-20-2007, 03:55 PM
The reason why you can't see anything on your desktop is because Fluxbox is just a window manager, AKA it decorates and organizes windows, among other things. From your previous posts, I assume you are using Gnome, which is the default desktop environment for Ubuntu. Desktop environments are larger packages that include a window manager, plus an icon manager, etc. To get icons to work for Fluxbox, you need to get something such as iDesk. However, for your issue with saving files to your desktop, I'm not sure how much I can help. All I can come up with is that whatever desktop you are saving to is your Gnome desktop, which wont show up in Fluxbox, since there is no icon manager. However, maybe Gnome's icon manager is not compatible with a stand alone one such as iDesk, so I'm not sure you could configure iDesk to use your Gnome desktop. But that is just a hunch.

To access your other hard drive or whatever you need to right click and bring up the main menu (this is how you navigate with Fluxbox). If there is nothing useful in the menu, you will have to add stuff yourself. To do this you would probably have to get back onto Gnome and bring up an editor of some sort. Navigate to .fluxbox in your home directory, and edit a file called "menu". From looking at the format, you can probably figure out the syntax on your own. Once you add something, be sure to save the file. Now when you get back into Fluxbox, you should be able to run the program you added to the menu, unless of course you added it wrong.

Super
06-20-2007, 04:00 PM
Meh, I decided to stick to gnome. Much more practical. I admit, fluxbox is nice looking and all, but I'll save fluxbox for a later time when I have more experience with linux.