PDA

View Full Version : OpenSUSE

*eXpliCiT.
06-15-2007, 02:04 PM
Well to start off, I downloaded and burnt Ubuntu 7.04 onto a CD and ran the live CD for a minute, tried to install it, and of course it failed. So I think I will just give up with Ubuntu. I've heard OpenSUSE is quite easy to use so I think I will. Anyone know if theres a live CD option for this aswell? Any suggestions or details on this distribution, because I don't want to download it if it's going to blow mad.
Thanks in advance.

homebrew89
06-15-2007, 02:37 PM
I can say that I have tried openSUSE. However, I found its package manager, YaST, to be kind of a clunky piece of software. For instance, I tried to install TightVNC. In the middle of installation, it said that it conflicted with a preinstalled package, VNC. So I believe I hit cancel (this was over a year ago). I went back into YaST and saw that both TightVNC and VNC were "broken" or something. I tried to install VNC, but that didn't work because it conflicted with TightVNC. However, I couldn't uninstall them. I have no idea what happened, but I found openSUSE to be more trouble then it's worth. Before that I had tried to install Gentoo (which has a live CD if I remember correctly), but I found it to be hard to use. My uncle suggested openSUSE so that's when I gave it a try. After my problems, I switched back to Gentoo, and I'm glad I did. It's not so foreign to me as when I started, but I will admit that it is harder to get used to than a larger distribution such as Ubuntu, SUSE, FC, etc. It does have awesome support through the Gentoo Forums, and there is also a Gentoo Wiki, and a thorough handbook on the main site. It's a bit of an endeavor to dive into, but it enables you to build your system the way you want it from the ground up without including bloatware like many of the larger distributions.

*eXpliCiT.
06-15-2007, 03:43 PM
I'll take it from a much more experienced linux user than I and stick to Ubuntu I guess. The other day I tried to install the new version 7.04, today I suppose I'll try 6.06.1 LTS. Thanks though homebrew.

HARD_ON
06-15-2007, 04:08 PM
I'll take it from a much more experienced linux user than I and stick to Ubuntu I guess. The other day I tried to install the new version 7.04, today I suppose I'll try 6.06.1 LTS. Thanks though homebrew.
Gentoo is good. Gentoo is a little lighter from what I remembered of it, though.

I guess that's good in a way. You can develop everything in the system yourself.

*eXpliCiT.
06-15-2007, 04:23 PM
Gentoo is good. Gentoo is a little lighter from what I remembered of it, though.

I guess that's good in a way. You can develop everything in the system yourself.
Whattya mean it's a little lighter?

HARD_ON
06-15-2007, 04:41 PM
Lighter as in, less in size/features/addons...stuff like that.