PDA

View Full Version : Dual booting

Super
06-14-2007, 11:04 AM
So I have Vista on my 320gb hd and ubuntu on my 80gb. I can pick which drive I want to boot from through the BIOS, but going into bios each time is lame. How do I make it so that when I turn on my comp, it gives me an option screen for which OS I want to boot?

Indefinite
06-14-2007, 11:08 AM
The easiest way would be to install some boot loader (GRUB? LILO?).

Super
06-14-2007, 11:12 AM
Hmm, ya I googled that and I'm confused as hell. Do I have to install it via linux?

HARD_ON
06-14-2007, 11:18 AM
Acromis boot loader should do fine. Even though I hate shareware.

Indefinite
06-14-2007, 11:19 AM
Dunno, it's been a long time since I've been doing dual booting. Now I prefer virtualization.

Anyway, I'd try it from Linux, since they're native in that environment, afaik.

The main problem here is that you don't have your Ubuntu listed in the Master Boot Record on the HD plugged in the primary master slot.
You might try doing something in Vista, but I think a loader will be easier.

Super
06-14-2007, 11:23 AM
This linux thing is confusing as hell. I've spent too many years on windows. Anyone wanna get on AIM and help me through this?

Indefinite
06-14-2007, 11:26 AM
I'd start out here (http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/html_node/).
Source: http://grub.enbug.org/

Super
06-14-2007, 11:30 AM
Ya, see, that guide expects you to know how to use linux already, which I dont know how.

Indefinite
06-14-2007, 11:35 AM
Well, can't help you more, 'cause I know about Linux propably as much as you do, but once you read into it, I think it'll be understandable.

YourMother
06-14-2007, 12:13 PM
hasn't partition magic a dual boot option? Easy to use

deathknot
06-14-2007, 12:15 PM
To install grub its something like this
Don't forget to install the grub package with your distro if its not there.
WARNING!
DON'T TAKE MY WORD ON IT!!!

sudo grub install /dev/hda1
too find which drive to put it on.

fdisk -l
then you have to edit your grub.conf which is somewhere don't remember or it might auto make the entries not sure.

Super
06-14-2007, 12:16 PM
What the hell does that mean? Do I type that stuff in somewhere?

deathknot
06-14-2007, 12:20 PM
You should really look up how to use GNU/Linux. No offense. You type it in the terminal and like i said im not sure if thats how its done. Its a guess.

Indefinite
06-14-2007, 12:52 PM
Or check if you have it in Synaptic.

HARD_ON
06-14-2007, 02:41 PM
I just made my own little discovery. You could modify the Boot.ini file like I just did.

[boot loader]
timeout=6
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(3)\WINDOW S
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(3)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect /numproc=2
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\dev\hda1(or whatever it is)="Ubuntu" (and then put all of your super cool parameters here...I think...)
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\="Mac 10.5.1"

Nothing big. I haven't tried Mac yet, and I'm kinda doubtful that it will work due to lack of proper parameters n' all that **** necessary. I also don't think that is the proper boot folder. Mac's boot folder is probably like "/private/var" or some weird place. It's not like Linux where it has every device in the "/dev" folder.

Correct me if I'm wrong, please.

*eXpliCiT.
06-15-2007, 11:57 AM
What the hell does that mean? Do I type that stuff in somewhere?
Yeah whenever thers code to you need to open a terminal. Right click>open terminal and type in the commands just like if you were went Start>Run.. on Windows machines.

Super
06-19-2007, 07:59 PM
I installed 7.04 instead and it has a built in loader. I can now eaily pick which OS to boot on startup. This can be closed.

Javmaz
07-10-2007, 01:36 AM
To install grub its something like this
Don't forget to install the grub package with your distro if its not there.
WARNING!

sudo grub install /dev/hda1

That would reformat his windows drive.

Also, just so you know, lilo and grub are boot managers. They are selected and setup during installation of the distro.

deathknot
07-10-2007, 06:27 AM
That would reformat his windows drive.

Also, just so you know, lilo and grub are boot managers. They are selected and setup during installation of the distro.
Actually it wouldn't.