PDA

View Full Version : Funky fax problem!

YonderKnight
05-04-2007, 03:50 PM
Okay, my friend's been having some weird fax machine problems. I was working on it for a good couple of hours with no luck. So I thought I'd post here and maybe some of you guys would have an idea of what's going on.

He has two phone lines, one for the house and the other just for the fax and the DSL in this one room. He has three fax machines, two of which are identical Brother 3360C's, and the other is a panasonic. The brother fax was working for about a year on the DSL line, then suddenly stopped. They bought another fax of the same kind, but that still didn't work on that line. This kind of leads me to believe there's something wrong with the line.

What happens when you pick up the phone is you hear a dial-tone for a breif moment then it cuts off and there's nothing. Sometimes the dial-tone works, but when you hang up and pick it back up there's no dialtone. However, a phone plugged into the same line works perfectly fine. Same with the panasonic fax machine. This kind of leads me to believe there's something wrong with the fax machines configuration, or just something wrong with the way brother makes their faxes. i tried looking through the manual and troubleshooting guides online but didn't find any important machine settings.

The last important thing is that both brother faxes work perfectly fine on the house line! So it's unlikely that there would be a misconfigured setting. I thought maybe the computer DSL was conflicting with it or something, but I tried unplugging it with no change.

Anybody have any ideas?
+rep to anyone with a solution or a good idea =p.

YourMother
05-06-2007, 04:16 AM
Usually DSL and FAX should work together without any problems, cause they using other frequencies and other techniques. So I don't think that's the problem.
Is the Brother Fax connected with a computer? Is the USB cable too long (max 6 feet)?
What I think: You have got a problem with the phone line. Check the phone cable (bad line quality?)/use a new phone cable/ask you phone provider to check the line when a brother fax is connected (when you have DSL on that line the phone company has to install some kind of "DSL-card" in their central. Is something wrong with this? Ask them to check).

YonderKnight
05-06-2007, 12:48 PM
Well, my friend said they already had an AT&T guy come in and check the phone line with all his equipment and stuff, so I'm pretty sure the phone line is fine. I tried using another cable, made no difference. I'm pretty sure it's the line though, but it makes no sense why a regular phone or another fax machine would work on the line, just not the brother faxes.

About that DSL-card, they've had DSL for a while already, I don't think it would be something wrong with that. And plus I can't imagine it making that big of a difference just for one certain type of fax machine.

Thanks.

EDIT:
Okay, I just talked to the guy and apprently they got it fixed. The phone company made some sort of change with the way they reference area codes or something, and that caused it not to work. So it was something wrong with the line....

thanks anyways.